PO: Cartel- Chroma via ETR ON SALE TODAY at 4:24pm Est

I need someone to fill me in on that. Links anyone?

It's mostly over a botched Kickstarter campaign for a live DVD. They reached an surpassed their goal, took the money and delivered nothing for almost a year. The hard drive was supposedly damaged that contained the concert was miraculously saved. The last thing I heard was that they posted the footage online for free which naturally pissed off the Kickstarter backers. All the which Tate and Co, talked copious amounts of shit.

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3629001

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3341911

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243544727/the-dangerous-summer-a-year-in-the-life-dvd-live-d/comments

Wait, so if Ross halted the Copeland stuff after them telling him they wanted to do it themselves, why is Marsh so butthurt?

right? I think I'm most pissed about his asshat of a statement... makes me wanna say screw you and your stupid new album that you're having people preorder 7 months in advance at $36 for a probably schotty pressing

Cartel is pissed because they knew a Chroma reissue was a potential money spinner, but sat on their hands too long and someone beat them to the punch. Sometimes I get the feeling that it only occurs to bands that it might be lucrative to press their old records when an outside label contacts them about doing so. In this situation, Cartel has no one to blame but themselves - they could have stopped the process if they'd been responsive, they could have licensed the vinyl themselves years ago when it was already becoming pretty apparent that the demand for a reissue was there, they could have avoided signing their rights away, but they didn't. Like it or not, music is a business, and an experienced band who's been through the whole major label experience should be more savvy than they have shown themselves to be, OR, perhaps more to the point, should be getting better advice from their manager. 

I need someone to fill me in on that. Links anyone? 

Yeah I am with this guy I also need to be filled in.. another reason to hate Tate would make my life that much better.

Sorry, late to this. BUT, it was on Facebook awhile back. I posted a few screen caps in Small Talk while It was happening...it was GOLD. Tate held himself really well, it was really just Cody Payne making an ass out of himself. 

It's sort of apples and oranges. I didn't license from a major label, which means I had a lot less pressure to deliver from a financial standpoint. Plus I don't do this for a living, and will likely not press another record ever again anyway

I had constant contact with Rory from The Militia Group (who I worked with on the Rufio record), Cartel's manager Rohan, and got a message from Will that I included on the insert. I never spoke to Will or anyone in the band directly. Now I'm wondering if those were even his words. 

I suspect Ross did the same thing I did, trusted their manager, and went about his business trying to be able to feed, shelter, and clothe himself by making money, and the band and/or their manager didn't communicate to each other all of the details. I'm not blaming them either, because they are human beings. I totally understand being bitter if they wanted to do their own version, but it seems more like a snooze ya lose situation. 

Reading through this thread. I think out of all the drama this bums me out the most. It's bummertown I've enjoyed everything you've pressed.

I am pretty sure he is talking about copeland who after aaron expressed having his own plans (which i messaged him multiple times on social media to run the reissue idea by him). I had already gotten the go ahead from the label at that point but regardless I backed off with no questions asked. I never got contacted by any lawyers at any point with any release. It takes a ton of work time and work to get a release full cleared and worked out so there are many releases in which i get label clearance and then approach the band about their involvement.

If a band who i contact expresses having their own re-issue in the works or do not want the album re-issued for whatever reason then I inform the label that I will be moving forward, and that is it. Many releases which still have yet to see a vinyl release or a reissue, which could have happened by ETR have not for that reason. I always try to do right by the artist, as i did by offering cartel copies at cost for this one which they were planning to do until the manager forgot to respond to me with their decision in which time, contracts with label were already signed and things in motion.

In my opinion, all of this was due to poor communication between band and management & the band responded in Feb 2013 saying "awesome and interested, speak to our manager..he is the one who handles these matters" and then sent me his contact which was the last contact i had direct with the band. But someone other than their manager responded to that message, unless their manager was responding in the 3rd person. I was also told by a few people that some interview where people outright stated "I heard ETR got the rights to chroma for a vinyl re-issue, how do you feel about that". I hinted on the VC board about getting the rights over a year ago so maybe it was from that but regards...it was something along those lines where I was specifically mentioned to Will.  Will responded saying "I know nothing about that or who etr is"      I never saw these interview until yesterday but if he that was asked specifically about this when why wouldn't he have asked the manager about it and/or contact me direct at that point.  I also contacted will on facebook direct with shows as being read, which i also mentioned yesterday but that is beside the point.  The fact that they are outright claiming that we had no prior knowledge of this, is my main issue because i made many efforts to bring it to their attention and work out a deal with them which would benefit everyone and be fair to them. I understand that it sucks not owning the rights to your music which is why i offered them copies at cost, but the reality is that the album is controlled by a major label and the band/manager outright told me that they would love to see a re-issue but cannot even get copies of chroma at wholesale from the label & they have no idea about how to obtain the rights. 

Thank you for posting this. I am all out of positive votes right now because of those damn cat gifs.

Hey guys this Nic from Cartel. Here to clear up any questions you guys may have. This isn't some official statement, just me needing to get it off my chest.

I've been monitoring all the "hear say" the past few days but haven't really gotten involved with this ordeal, frankly I hate that it has created all this drama. We always seem to gravitate towards drama. Hah.

I think this release just caught me, as well as the other guys, by suprise. We(the band) literally had no idea or heads up this was happening. Honestly I consider it a compliment that someone would want to release our pressings for us. We certainly dropped the ball on getting a chroma vinyl out. A lot of it was timing, legal & financial issues. We are an independent band now in the US so everything we make or sell literally puts food on our table.

We wanted (& still will of course) to make the 10yr anniversary vinyl for chroma very special, with a lot of extra goodies in the packaging. So when we saw this, it took a little bit out of us. It bummed me to see chroma vinyl out before we could add anything to it.

I don't hate ETR for pressing chroma, nor do I condone fans from buying it. could we potentially loose $ over it, yes probably, nothing were not used to in this industry. But I do wish communications between all parties (Cartel, ETR, epic) were better so we weren't caught so off guard. Not this "he said, she said". When company ink pressed 'the ransom' were very involved with them on the process. I wish the same would have been for ETR. Again ETR is well within their right to do this & I'm flattered for them actually doing it. I do feel we deserved to know when it was happening, not kept out of the loop (all good, I'm used to being out of the loop, at the end of the day we just show up to play & have a good time with all of you, as it's always been....except for that bubble thing(but who wouldn't pass up that opportunity. No regrets).

Chroma is our baby, so we defend it as such. It doesn't matter if we sold our souls to the industry, in the end we made Chroma for all of you. Thank you ETR for doing this, & thank you guys who have supported us.

Nic

Just wanted to post this because nobody quoted it yet. If someone randomly asked me is "Company ABC" releasing your record, I'd probably pick up the phone after the interview ended and ask questions to the right people.

Will Pug from UndertheGun in June 2013:

"Speaking of the other records on vinyl, I’ve heard that Enjoy the Ride may be involved with that. Is there any truth to that rumor?

Nobody is onboard to do any sort of vinyl rerelease or rerelease otherwise. At this point, now that we’re releasing stuff on our own, it would be ludicrous to try to involve somebody else. We may go to somebody for distribution when we do Chroma on vinyl just because of how many copies we sold originally and we’d like to have it in stores not just online or at shows. We’re going to be very careful with that just because it is our baby. Just to be completely honest, it’s probably going to be pretty financially lucrative. So, we don’t want to share what we’ve shared too much of already, you know? At this point we don’t know how it’s all going to work because of licensing and whatnot."

Hey guys this Nic from Cartel. Here to clear up any questions you guys may have. This isn't some official statement, just me needing to get it off my chest.

I've been monitoring all the "hear say" the past few days but haven't really gotten involved with this ordeal, frankly I hate that it has created all this drama. We always seem to gravitate towards drama. Hah.

I think this release just caught me, as well as the other guys, by suprise. We(the band) literally had no idea or heads up this was happening. Honestly I consider it a compliment that someone would want to release our pressings for us. We certainly dropped the ball on getting a chroma vinyl out. A lot of it was timing, legal & financial issues. We are an independent band now in the US so everything we make or sell literally puts food on our table.

We wanted (& still will of course) to make the 10yr anniversary vinyl for chroma very special, with a lot of extra goodies in the packaging. So when we saw this, it took a little bit out of us. It bummed me to see chroma vinyl out before we could add anything to it.

I don't hate ETR for pressing chroma, nor do I condone fans from buying it. could we potentially loose $ over it, yes probably, nothing were not used to in this industry. But I do wish communications between all parties (Cartel, ETR, epic) were better so we weren't caught so off guard. Not this "he said, she said". When company ink pressed 'the ransom' were very involved with them on the process. I wish the same would have been for ETR. Again ETR is well within their right to do this & I'm flattered for them actually doing it. I do feel we deserved to know when it was happening, not kept out of the loop (all good, I'm used to being out of the loop, at the end of the day we just show up to play & have a good time with all of you, as it's always been....except for that bubble thing(but who wouldn't pass up that opportunity. No regrets).

Chroma is our baby, so we defend it as such. It doesn't matter if we sold our souls to the industry, in the end we made Chroma for all of you. Thank you ETR for doing this, & thank you guys who have supported us.

Nic

No one faults you for being, "Bummed," that someone pressed Chroma before you had the chance to.  However, it was in poor taste to publicly badmouth the label that beat you to the punch and childishly claim that your (The band's) pressing will be better when you've (The band) also claimed that you (The band) know nothing about the current release.

Also, anything posted online via Twitter, AP, or VC does not need a preface of whether it is an, "Official Statement," or not.  If it comes from a member of the band, or a member of the band's camp it is an official statement... Which is why words should be chosen with care and caution and not childishly tweeted to the world.

I've been monitoring all the hearsay the past few days but haven't really gotten involved with this ordeal, frankly I hate that it has created all this drama. We always seem to gravitate towards drama. Hah.

I think this release just caught me, as well as the other guys, by surprise. We (the band) literally had no idea or heads up this was happening. Honestly, I consider it a compliment that someone would want to release our pressings for us. We certainly dropped the ball on getting a chroma vinyl out. A lot of it was timing, legal & financial issues. We are an independent band now in the US, so everything we make or sell literally puts food on our table.

We wanted (& still will of course) to make the 10yr anniversary vinyl for chroma very special, with a lot of extra goodies in the packaging. So when we saw this it took a little bit out of us. It bummed me (out) to see chroma vinyl before we could add anything to it.

I don't hate ETR for pressing chroma, nor do I condone condemn fans from for buying it. could we potentially lose $ over it, yes. probably, nothing we're not used to in this industry. But I do wish communications between all parties (Cartel, ETR, epic) had been better so we weren't caught so off guard. Not this "he said, she said". When company ink pressed 'The Ransom' were very involved with them on the process; I wish the same would have happened with ETR. Again, ETR is well within their rights to do this & I'm flattered for them that they are actually doing it. I do feel we deserved to know when it was happening, not kept out of the loop (all good, I'm used to being out of the loop, but at the end of the day we just show up to play & have a good time with all of you, as it's always been....except for that bubble thing(but who wouldn't pass up that opportunity. No regrets).

Nic

Tried to fix that up for you a little bit.