PO: The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt

I take my original review of this album (in this thread) back. It's great. Clicked after the third play through and been listening non-stop. I came on board with this band before sink or swim was released (though I didn't buy it on black back then, ouch) and was psyched about their progression until American Slang, which I still can't really listen to save for four or five songs. Thought Handwritten was trash, still do.

But while Handwritten was awkward and sounded like they were trying to go for something that didn't quite work, this one nails it. It's the first one that Brian described as different that actually sounds it and throws aside the notions of the band that were obviously starting to bring the quality down in his songwriting. And although it's not typically a sound in music that I'm drawn to, it works here and they sound confident enough to play it. And the songwriting and lyrics are, for the most part, inspired again, albeit in a different style. That's been lacking for awhile in my opinion. Time will tell if I keep playing it as much as I am now, but it's definitely a good one. Glad to have a little renewed faith in this band.

Hate Underground though. Only song I skip. Never thought you could rip off The National so poorly.

ya, theres ZERO bias in that pitchfork review. :rolleyes:

i hear a decent amount of old gaslight mixed in with plenty of new and a bit of horrible crowes on this record. change the production and some of these songs could fit on an older album.

It's a review, all reviews are biased.

I'd love for you to look at an album and review it objectively. Oh wait, it's impossible, and would be quite boring as well.

That being said, it's a bad review in which he tries to be way too snarky and it doesn't work for the most part. Still agree with a lot of the things he says is a problem.

The '59 Sound > Sink Or Swim > Señor And The Queen > Get Hurt > Handwritten > American Slang

If Senor and the Queen were a full length it'd be #1.  Otherwise, THIS.

American Slang is largely unlistenable for me.  Glad they only throw two or three songs into their live sets.

That Pitchfork reviewer has some personal axe to grind with Fallon, that's my issue with it. When reviews cross into some oddball personal attack, which certainly isn't justified here, instead of being a discussion of the music then it can be written off. I gave a fourth and final listen - this record is uninspiring, I'll revisit it when the vinyl arrives to give it a fresh listen. Some of the questions about the album musically are fair in that review. I still wish this band all the best and hope they thrill folks live as they always do. 

That Pitchfork reviewer has some personal axe to grind with Fallon, that's my issue with it. When reviews cross into some oddball personal attack, which certainly isn't justified here, instead of being a discussion of the music then it can be written off. I gave a fourth and final listen - this record is uninspiring, I'll revisit it when the vinyl arrives to give it a fresh listen. Some of the questions about the album musically are fair in that review. I still wish this band all the best and hope they thrill folks live as they always do.

He said he liked 59 Sound.

This record is the most interesting album these guys have ever done. How many times can they make the same record? Compared to this, Handwritten sounds uninspired to me. However different, it's fresh and familiar all at once. Good to have new music from these guys again, and I'll for sure make it to their closest tour date. Pitchfork sucks, or I guess Ian Cohen does.

I pre-ordered the splatter and the 2xpic disc, haven't heard anything about those orders at all. Zero communication.

Went to a local record store over the weekend and they had retail copies on the shelf.

Haha I feel just as annoyed.  I'd be less annoyed if I was enjoying the album a little more.

I saw earlier in this thread that the packaging sucks, which is lame, but how does it sound? I was thinking about snagging a copy of this if my store(s) have it for a reasonable price.

I thought about picking up the retail copy, just to have something to listen to until the other copies end up shipping, but the store wanted $22 for the single LP retail copy on black.

I thought about picking up the retail copy, just to have something to listen to until the other copies end up shipping, but the store wanted $22 for the single LP retail copy on black.

I unfortunately assumed as much. I'd be more inclined to bite the bullet if they'd done a decent job with the packaging. I thought Handwritten was pretty solid--a nice heavy gatefold with a standard 180g pressing. What a shame.

I unfortunately assumed as much. I'd be more inclined to bite the bullet if they'd done a decent job with the packaging. I thought Handwritten was pretty solid--a nice heavy gatefold with a standard 180g pressing. What a shame.

I agree. I think it helped that El Jefe did all the packaging design for Handwritten. There was a lot of care and thought put into it.

I get the feeling (based on how different this album cover is from anything else they've ever put out) that whatever was originally planned and designed was either scrapped last minute or rejected by Island so this is a rushed result. Could be totally wrong, but the cover and packaging really scream "last choice" to me.