Jason Tate: "Yes, vinyl prices are going up. No, I don't feel bad."

The YG album is the best hip hop album of the year and unless Kanye puts something out I doubt that will change. In my top ten of the year, easily.

Also Jason loves Doomtree, overrates them so highly.

Differnt folks, different strokes I guess. Im not really a fan of commercialized aspect of hip hop and there are some people who could argue that YG isnt even hip hop, but a pop artist. Horrible rhymes over generic trap beats. Have you heard the Madlib/Freddie Gibbs joint Pinata? Black Milk's? The Roots? Pharoahe Monch? Apollo Brown? Atmosphere? Blueprint? I could keep going on but thats not the point.

Also, too many people ride kanye for the sole fact he is kanye. You just said yourself you dont even have to hear something to declare it AOTY.

Differnt folks, different strokes I guess. Im not really a fan of commercialized aspect of hip hop and there are some people who could argue that YG isnt even hip hop, but a pop artist. Horrible rhymes over generic trap beats. Have you heard the Madlib/Freddie Gibbs joint Pinata? Black Milk's? The Roots? Pharoahe Monch? Apollo Brown? Atmosphere? Blueprint? I could keep going on but thats not the point.

Also, too many people ride kanye for the sole fact he is kanye. You just said yourself you dont even have to hear something to declare it AOTY.

I think you misunderstood him. He said YG is likely album of the year, but that Ye could challenge that with a 2014 release because, well he's got a pretty solid history of delivering.

I think you misunderstood him. He said YG is likely album of the year, but that Ye could challenge that with a 2014 release because, well he's got a pretty solid history of delivering.

I dont think I misunderstood. He clearly said it is the best hip hop album of the year. Kanye is definitely consistent, minus Yeezus, but thats my opinion. I wouldnt put too much stock into his next release until I heard something from it, much like any other artist.

Im not trying to make this a music taste pissing contest, all I did was announce my gripe with a site I used to be fond of, thats all. CWhit pretty much backed up my opinion with his comments anyways.

I dont think I misunderstood. He clearly said it is the best hip hop album of the year. Kanye is definitely consistent, minus Yeezus, but thats my opinion. I wouldnt put too much stock into his next release until I heard something from it, much like any other artist.

Im not trying to make this a music taste pissing contest, all I did was announce my gripe with a site I used to be fond of, thats all. CWhit pretty much backed up my opinion with his comments anyways.

Yeezus is either my favorite or second favorite of his hahaha

This thread is great. I wish Scott could comment, but he may not wanna start shit, besides we all agree that Jason Tate is wrong, I think the worse sin, though is that he can't write. 

"Last night lead to a mini-essay about vinyl records, prices, economics, and a lesson that I can still piss people off."  

Omg. True punk 4 lyfe you! You've still got the edge sir! 1,000 scene points for you. 

It really all comes off like he is grasping for relevance.

With all that being said I hope the vinyl price bubble bursts. 

Yeezus is either my favorite or second favorite of his hahaha

I respect that. What I really liked about that album was the lyrical content. He might be the only super famous artist who has stepped up and called out the NDAA, but whats sad is I bet half the people who heard that album dont even know what he was talking about.

I guess I personally feel like maximizing profit - something Tate alludes to a few times in both posts - is a motive more in line with a publicly traded company whose sole concern is the bottom line. In the "scene" of underground music (whatever the fuck that means post-internet), however, people have always trumped money. I know countless articles have been written on this subject - how street cred doesn't pay a mortgage, the concept of selling out is stupid, "punk is totally irrelevant", etc. I myself have long been reticent to leave the stability of a dead end job for more fulfilling creative endeavors just for the fact that I need money to live, so I empathize with that struggle. I do still believe, though, that if you're playing in a rock band in 2014 and you're not satisfied with coming out of a gig with enough to get you home and an affirmation that people like what you're doing, maybe you should look into the tech sector.

I also don't appreciate the condescending tone of "well, you don't want to pay for music, but you'll blow a bunch of money on bullshit". I don't go out to eat. I don't smoke. I don't drink regularly. I'm not a $4 coffee person. Roughly 90% of my expendable income is spent in patronage of the arts. I'm sure that chicken wing person exists, but some of us are just bummed that $50 doesn't go half as far at the record store as it did 5 years ago, and the only people getting richer from it are the labels who have never been afraid to kill the goose in pursuit of its golden eggs, along with a few opportunists who 15 years ago would've been in the collectible stuffed animal game.

I feel pretty fortunate in that so far, none of the stuff with bonkers ($30+) pricing has been anything I'm interested in, but sooner or later there's going to be something I want that ends up being an SRC exclusive on vanilla fudge swirl, and I'll be angrily shaking my fist at all you dummies who long ago decided that 45 minutes of high school nostalgia was worth $30 a hit.

but sooner or later there's going to be something I want that ends up being an SRC exclusive on vanilla fudge swirl, and I'll be angrily shaking my fist at all you dummies who long ago decided that 45 minutes of high school nostalgia was worth $30 a hit.

I know it's still early on in the day, but this is the best thing I've read so far.

I honestly think the price gouging will end up hurting this hobby. I've had reservations about the recent prices of records and it really makes me question why I'm blowing so much money on something that I honestly don't need and will probably have to get rid of. Good thing about records is that they usually retain a lot of their value. But it really makes me want to leave this.

Well guys we did it. He wrote a second blog because of us. Apparently this thread only had one post contributing to the discussion.

http://chorus.fm/post/89945992118/well-that-escalated-quickly

I don't think he realizes that the reason we're all just calling him a buttface and not having an "actual discussion" about it is because this shit has been talked about ad naseum around here and we'd rather fuck around than talk about money.

It's also nice to see that he still remembers a little bit from that Econ 101 class that he took back in college.