Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

It'll be interesting to see how it ages. I think the runtime's brevity probably plays in its favor as far as replayability goes. (At least for those of us who insist on listening front to back every time.)

I'm just hoping this marks a stream of new material for the band. I'd be giddy as a school girl if they pumped out new albums that are as consistent and frequent as Russian Circles.

The signature Jakob sound is definitely all over this record. Some of the songs could definitely feel right at home on Solace while others see the band branching out with different ideas. The length doesn't bother me at all, I think it's just about right. I know people like to lump Jakob in with Russian Circles but I think Jakob is a lot better live and on record. Don't get me wrong, I like RC but Jakob is on another level for me. 

When I hear the strings on this album, my first thought is...

...I hope Talons is listening closely :)

They are perfectly used on this album.

I still think the strings are used perfectly on the second track of the new Talons record (Reverie) – but everywhere else, I agree: they could definitely take some notes from Sines.

I still think the strings are used perfectly on the second track of the new Talons record (Reverie) – but everywhere else, I agree: they could definitely take some notes from Sines.

I agree with Reverie (although the song still feels out of place to me).

But back to Jakob...Emergent is gorgeous.

I agree with Reverie (although the song still feels out of place to me).

But back to Jakob...Emergent is gorgeous.

I didn't even realize that both albums have a beautiful sort of "breather" after the first track that breaks the ice, about 5 minutes in length and featuring some beautiful strings.  Good stuff.  Out of curiosity - since the format of both albums are almost identical, as far as the first 2 song are concerned - would you say Emergent is out of place as well?  Just wondering.

I didn't even realize that both albums have a beautiful sort of "breather" after the first track that breaks the ice, about 5 minutes in length and featuring some beautiful strings. Good stuff. Out of curiosity - since the format of both albums are almost identical, as far as the first 2 song are concerned - would you say Emergent is out of place as well? Just wondering.

I didn't feel that way with Jakob. "Emergent" didn't feel like a 2nd opener like "Reverie" did. Talons first two songs sounded like back-to-back openers while Jakob's flowed together better imo.

Mylene's October newsletter confirmed that they'll be working directly with Jakob to finally press Cale:Drew and Subsets of Sets.  Extremely happy with this news, personally, and can't wait to see those unfold.  All I could possibly ask for on top of that is a Solace repress and a new album within the next year or two.

Mylene's October newsletter confirmed that they'll be working directly with Jakob to finally press Cale:Drew and Subsets of Sets.  Extremely happy with this news, personally, and can't wait to see those unfold.  All I could possibly ask for on top of that is a Solace repress and a new album within the next year or two.

awesome as. i have a graveface copy of solace i might be willing to let go of if you don't wanna wait. if you're interested shoot me a pm

Pretty stoked on that.

Sidenote: Picked up a copy of Aeges - Above and Down Below. Don't know why I passed it up the first time.

awesome as. i have a graveface copy of solace i might be willing to let go of if you don't wanna wait. if you're interested shoot me a pm

Thanks for the offer, but I actually have a second press (on black) that sounds phenomenal. I'm basically just eager to throw more money at Mylene and own Solace on a snazzier variant, since they've been killing it with their colorways as of late.

the conspiracy pressing? i've got that one too and like it a lot more than the graveface one haha

That's the one. I don't even know how to describe the jacket (kind of matte but also kind of not?), but I love it. And I also prefer the art + gatefold design to the original, personally. Can't compare the sound though. Really interested to see which art they'd use for a third press, if not something new altogether.

• Derek™ changed the title to Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition