OUT NOW: Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 Repress

Maybe it'll be worth $60, could get the Amazon import.

Edit: Bcarter, I'll be your friend.

Awwwwwww.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. We as consumers have the responsibility to ourselves to have standards for what we are willing to pay for something and the more people just fork over the cash on a clearly overly marked up item, the more the producers of the products are going to take advantage of that and keep pushing up prices. Yes, there are externalities that factor in to the equation of the retail price but obviously we've seen similar products produced and sold for a much better price. We're voting with our dollars and we're talking about it. There's nothing wrong with that. There's no need to get offended because someone says something is overpriced. This is overpriced. Its sad that a new 2XLP has to run more than $26 as a domestic release. Many other labels can manage to press a 2XLP for well under 40 goddamn dollars. If there turns out there was a licensing fee involved in this then I would take that into account but still, I'll wait to find this at a price that suits me.

No I get it, but what the fuck am I gonna do about it? Not buy it? Not a chance. Maybe that makes me and thousands of others a problem, but then we risk surrendering to the fuckers on eBay who buy most of the copies and sell em' for triple. Yes, I think Coheed is a great band, some people don't think they're worth this dollar amount. Great. I'm glad that opposites exist. It'd be weird if they didn't. However, don't come blantantly and kind of call people stupid for buying something that they want in a thread devoted to said fucking item. Not saying you did, I'm saying dreamover did. It's just ludicrous because it helps no one. Write Travis, Claudio, et al to ask why it's so expensive, or "Will the tour variant be cheaper?" or "why so goddamn pricey?" etc. They aren't difficult to reach. Even if they don't reply they'll get the message. Maybe they'll lower the cost to retailers and the black copy will end up cheaper. All I'm saying is: complaining to VC about this record's cost solves nothing and helps no one. So, PLEASE (I said please here) Cut it out.

Have they? I can only cite The Hunter and the obscenely overpriced OMRtS.

I went to a show yeeeeears ago and they had their previous (still in print) albums, autographed for sale at the merch table for like...$75. In two of the dudes' home town. It was stupid. All their other stuff was crazy overpriced too. The reissues from Relapse recently have been more reasonable though.

Awwwwwww.

No I get it, but what the fuck am I gonna do about it? Not buy it? Not a chance. Maybe that makes me and thousands of others a problem, but then we risk surrendering to the fuckers on eBay who buy most of the copies and sell em' for triple. Yes, I think Coheed is a great band, some people don't think they're worth this dollar amount. Great. I'm glad that opposites exist. It'd be weird if they didn't. However, don't come blantantly and kind of call people stupid for buying something that they want in a thread devoted to said fucking item. Not saying you did, I'm saying dreamover did. It's just ludicrous because it helps no one. Write Travis, Claudio, et al to ask why it's so expensive, or "Will the tour variant be cheaper?" or "why so goddamn pricey?" etc. They aren't difficult to reach. Even if they don't reply they'll get the message. Maybe they'll lower the cost to retailers and the black copy will end up cheaper. All I'm saying is: complaining to VC about this record's cost solves nothing and helps no one. So, PLEASE (I said please here) Cut it out.

It may not solve anything but at the very least, it communicates a standard. I want this record. I'm not gonna lie. I like the album and would love it on LP but I have a standard for what I'll pay for that. I wouldn't pay the bulging prices for the OP on the second hand market and I won't pay $40 for a domestic brand new production that didn't cost anywhere near $40 to produce. I don't see the harm in expressing that. We all are here to discuss vinyl on every level and in an economy like ours, it just doesn't make sense to pay $40 for something that may have been produced for less than 10% of that. I don't know what the cost of production is for most of the LP's I buy but I do know that there is no good reason to pay certain prices. We don't all have to be complete pushovers just because we like a band. I'm not saying anyone else necessarily is a pushover but we should be free to express that just like we should be free to express criticism for the material of an album if we are fans and don't like the way something was done. Its not like every thread should only ever be pure praise and nothing else. There will be dissent. If you really hate it you can ignore it but no one should have to censor themselves.

I went to a show yeeeeears ago and they had their previous (still in print) albums, autographed for sale at the merch table for like...$75. In two of the dudes' home town. It was stupid. All their other stuff was crazy overpriced too. The reissues from Relapse recently have been more reasonable though.

That sounds pretty shitty. I saw them a few years back, but I don't buy anything at concerts because I don't feel like carrying it around all night.  

I've just ordered the Relapse releases, they're plentiful and reasonable.

That sounds pretty shitty. I saw them a few years back, but I don't buy anything at concerts because I don't feel like carrying it around all night.  

I've just ordered the Relapse releases, they're plentiful and reasonable.

(alright, last Mastodon post I promise)

Yeah, those Relapse presses are great. I was suuuuuper tempted to get the white/gold swirl that came out a bit ago because it went with the packaging so well, even though I have it on black already.

k, done!

Also, as usual I agree with everything McPherson has said. Dude is on point.

I understand why the logic of "I don't mind paying x because it's y amount on ebay/secondary market" but that just gives these labels all the justification to jack up vinyl prices to insane levels. Where is the limit? When do buyers finally put their foot down and say enough?

It's going to take a band falling flat on their face with a warehouse full of overpriced good for someone to get the message. I think part of the problem is someone like me, who only started collecting two years ago, never experienced super low prices for LP's like some of you guys wax poetic about. So to me, this is what I've been paying and is all that I know. I'd also wager I'm not the only one. I reiterate that I'd rather spend $40 than $300.