PO: Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (3/31/15)

WOW this is just brilliant....now I must track down a clear copy...shouldnt be too hard with 5,000 out there...made a bull moose order but looks like that has been up for weeks...but its not down yet so that may be 30% chance Ill get one from them? strange their site says limited to 1,000? maybe retail stores get 1,000 allotment and other 4,000 were store and tour?

This is so cool by Asthmatic Kitty: http://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/comments/2y7k82/leak_sufjan_stevens_carrie_lowell_has_leaked/

Look at their comments in the thread. I work in the music industry and it makes me so happy that labels like these are promoting such positive behavior to technology/streaming/torrenting and are very progressive in the way they view music consumption in the 21st century.

Yeah AK is pretty cool. And I like what they said that it was basically Sufjan's decision to make this just about the music, not the way people hear/buy the music(paraphrasing). And that's cool. Just let it get out there. 

I'll be waiting for the vinyl before I play it more. But what I'm really looking forward to are the concerts. These should be VERY different than the Adz shows for sure. 

"Well, you can freak out about it and make a big press deal and release it early to itunes and then everyone is thinking, "Oh a leak, I should figure out how to download that?" And then people who normally don't download are downloading it.

Or you can realize that the people who download music are a) super enthused and just want to listen early and will support it one way or the other, or B) never would have bought it in the first place, in which case it didn't matter anyway. 

We like option a. 

There's no way to prove this but I have a theory that people who download music actually pay more for music than people who listen on Spotify. Just a guess."

Spot on!

This is, to me, exactly the right attitude to take with regard to releasing/promoting music in 2015. Maybe not for everyone, but in a lot of ways, for the small-medium indie bands, the combination of not aggressively going after leaks, keeping LP prices low, and being active and very positive on social media, are all great PR for an artist and label. My respect-o-meter just shot way up for Asthmatic Kitty. 

I ordered the record from AK, the lathe from JN, and downloaded the torrent (also, I don't use spotify)

Their theory does seem spot on

This may be my favorite Sufjan album now

Same here! I also got tickets to see his show in NYC (of which the label may or may not get a cut). I've essentially spent over $100 surrounding this Sufjan release.

I get all my music from what. All for free. I don't pay for digital music, unless it's a release for charity or something. I definitely download more music *illegally* than anyone I know. I also spend 10x the money, or more, on records, band shirts, and concert tickets than anybody I know. I can't pay for every album I listen to, but as long as you're supoorting bands/labels as much as you can, without putting yourself in financial trouble, then that's all that matters, and I would think most bands and indie labels would agree.

No matter how much music you download illegally, everyone on this site is doing a hell of a lot more for the industry, and bands than your friend who buys 10 albums a year off iTunes, and refuses to "pirate music".

I get all my music from what. All for free. I don't pay for digital music, unless it's a release for charity or something. I definitely download more music *illegally* than anyone I know. I also spend 10x the money, or more, on records, band shirts, and concert tickets than anybody I know. I can't pay for every album I listen to, but as long as you're supoorting bands/labels as much as you can, without putting yourself in financial trouble, then that's all that matters, and I would think most bands and indie labels would agree.

No matter how much music you download illegally, everyone on this site is doing a hell of a lot more for the industry, and bands than your friend who buys 10 albums a year off iTunes, and refuses to "pirate music".

Motherfucking yes

I agree with that post. I spend thousands of dollars every year on vinyl, show tickets, band merch, etc. Really don't feel the least bit guilty about checking out leaks after placing a pre-order, or trying out a band via download before committing to a purchase. I've personally purchased discographies (from labels) after checking out just one album from the set, too. I think AK and Parkinglot definitely have the right mentality.

Preach it.