Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

The xx tried pulling that shit a few years back on 11 goddamn 7"s, not even with demos or unreleased singles or anything on the Bsides, just the same etching of an X on all the records...

Anyone remember this stupid fucking thing? Hahaha

http://store.dashboardconfessional.com/dashboard-confessional-swiss-army-knife-box-set.html

no... who wants an album on 6 7"? I certainly do not.

We are talking about a hugely popular band's new album on a currently popular media format. Yeah go ahead and watch this one sell out.

I think Marina and The Diamonds are doing something like this for their new album as well

From my personal perspective these seem to be fairly popular with newer "collectors", hell even franchise fanatics who don't listen to records will buy these just for the novelty factor (Clerks, Ghostbusters). I will admit I did buy a soundtrack within the last year, realized how dumb it was, and sold it. I'd like to say I won't do that again but sometimes I have a few too many drinks and can still log into PayPal. Anyways, the stuff Mondo does is probably the most obvious example. I find it hard to believe anyone would listen to the Friday The 13th OST on a consistent basis but it's filled with fake fucking blood so it's necessary(?). I have to admit, tapes are beginning to become my go-to indie physical medium. I've found dozen of bands over the last few months via that format like I used to with vinyl. I simply can't afford to do that shit anymore with the price hike and I don't see small new 'impulse-buy' releases pop up here anymore. In the last 2 months I've bought 1 (new) record. It's a drag. I'm confident RFC, TSR, CYS, etc. will deliver as usual this year, but I hope to see some great releases from No Idea!, Red Scare, hell even new stuff from Fat.

"fingers crossed".

Been preaching tapes for quite some time. The prices! Got Mr. Bungle S/T and White Zombie La Sexorcisto together for $5.50 shipped. Some things are priced high, but not too many.

I just can't deal with flipping the record every song or two (unless it's a doom album and the songs are like 16... minutes long. Looking at you, Monolord.)

Flipping once or twice an album is plenty for me, thanks.

I can see the appeal for some people though.

I just can't deal with flipping the record every song or two (unless it's a doom album and the songs are like 16... minutes long. Looking at you, Monolord.)

Flipping once or twice an album is plenty for me, thanks.

I can see the appeal for some people though.

I agree, I just really like it when some sets include b-sides or rarities. 

Concerning the soundtrack phenomenon, I'm all on the score side of things. I'm a passionate collector of Ennio Morricone, Angelo Badalamenti and some other folks, but when it comes to things like mix tapes, they are only of any interest as long as they're favorite movies/series of mine, or really really good (see Lost in Translation or Twin Peaks, they're both).

But I totally get where you're coming from and recently shared the same mindset when the Guardians of the Galaxy Tape appeared and everyone went nuts. I do understand that's its a fun thing to have if you loved the movie, but the tunes are mediocre at best and of no interest at all on CD or vinyl. SRC's recent OST-policy is cash grab and then some. It's gonna continue as long as people fall for it. And they will.

Concerning the soundtrack phenomenon, I'm all on the score side of things. I'm a passionate collector of Ennio Morricone, Angelo Badalamenti and some other folks, but when it comes to things like mix tapes, they are only of any interest as long as they're favorite movies/series of mine, or really really good (see Lost in Translation or Twin Peaks, they're both).

But I totally get where you're coming from and recently shared the same mindset when the Guardians of the Galaxy Tape appeared and everyone went nuts. I do understand that's its a fun thing to have if you loved the movie, but the tunes are mediocre at best and of no interest at all on CD or vinyl. SRC's recent OST-policy is cash grab and then some. It's gonna continue as long as people fall for it. And they will.

They're fucking chumps.

We are talking about a hugely popular band's new album on a currently popular media format. Yeah go ahead and watch this one sell out.

I think Marina and The Diamonds are doing something like this for their new album as well

Don't get me started because we all know how pissed I am about that but also Marina isn't a their.