Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

I feel sad because I no longer look forward to record store day. I used to love it and now not so much. I just feel like it's become too much of a hassle to deal with. Like I know it's always been about the limited releases, and attracting people to what used to be a struggling market, but it just feels like too much of a show now. I'm sure I'm coming off as just another jaded hipster who's mad that it's no longer "my" thing but honestly I don't think I am lol. I'm all for it and it's continued existence. It's awesome to see how awesome these record stores are doing now a days. It's just not as fun as it used to be. 

I used to get excited and anxious about getting these cool, and limited releases. I would show up to my record store super early in hopes of being the first in line to get whatever I was looking for. And even when I would see someone else walking around with a record I was a few seconds shy of, I wouldn't get annoyed or anything. I mean I was sad about it but even then it was all part of the fun talking to that person and being like "Dang! Lucky you!" 

Now, it's just too much to deal with on so many levels. Yeah there was always the concern of beating the crowd, but now it's just ridiculous. It's comparable to what Black Friday is now. People get pretty intense for these releases. That's awesome that they do, but it's just become too much of a fight for these releases. And to top it off, they just become more and more expensive. I get that these releases are rare but I feel like it's cheating to mark them up because of it. Yeah businesses are always in it for the money but I just feel like it's really strayed from what it used to be. Strayed from the message it used to have. The past two years (4 record store days), I've just gone in a few hours after opening. I obviously haven't gotten much of anything because of it, but I don't really don't care enough to deal with what it's become. And is it just me, or have the releases become kinda stale as of late? 

Anyway, I just felt like saying this. Maybe I am just another jaded hipster, maybe not. All I know is I get sad thinking about what Record Store Day used to be for me, compared to what it is now. 

I feel sad because I no longer look forward to record store day. I used to love it and now not so much. I just feel like it's become too much of a hassle to deal with. Like I know it's always been about the limited releases, and attracting people to what used to be a struggling market, but it just feels like too much of a show now. I'm sure I'm coming off as just another jaded hipster who's mad that it's no longer "my" thing but honestly I don't think I am lol. I'm all for it and it's continued existence. It's awesome to see how awesome these record stores are doing now a days. It's just not as fun as it used to be. 

I used to get excited and anxious about getting these cool, and limited releases. I would show up to my record store super early in hopes of being the first in line to get whatever I was looking for. And even when I would see someone else walking around with a record I was a few seconds shy of, I wouldn't get annoyed or anything. I mean I was sad about it but even then it was all part of the fun talking to that person and being like "Dang! Lucky you!" 

Now, it's just too much to deal with on so many levels. Yeah there was always the concern of beating the crowd, but now it's just ridiculous. It's comparable to what Black Friday is now. People get pretty intense for these releases. That's awesome that they do, but it's just become too much of a fight for these releases. And to top it off, they just become more and more expensive. I get that these releases are rare but I feel like it's cheating to mark them up because of it. Yeah businesses are always in it for the money but I just feel like it's really strayed from what it used to be. Strayed from the message it used to have. The past two years (4 record store days), I've just gone in a few hours after opening. I obviously haven't gotten much of anything because of it, but I don't really don't care enough to deal with what it's become. And is it just me, or have the releases become kinda stale as of late? 

Anyway, I just felt like saying this. Maybe I am just another jaded hipster, maybe not. All I know is I get sad thinking about what Record Store Day used to be for me, compared to what it is now. 

i've found that most releases (other than a couple 'limited to 500' releases) can usually be found for pretty close to purchase price online in the days following. 

Waxwing LPs, Light and Sound, Suicide Medicine all need to be pressed/repressed. Maybe an abridged EP version of Makers too.

All the Waxwing stuff is available still: http://www.amazon.com:80url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=waxwing+vinyl&rh=n%3A5174%2Ck%3Awaxwing+vinyl/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=kersjour-20&linkId=TH5KMW6QWQNRHZLP

Luckily it looks like we're getting Light and the Sound. Rocky said a Suicide repress is on its way!

I'm actually pretty excited for RSD despite myself. Looking forward to seeing the full list. There's a few things I have my eye on which hopefully aren't too sought after. Plus things that are highly sought after like Deja and RHP box are getting widespread release down the line. That RHP box is gonna be this years REM MTV Unplugged though in terms of availability.

Does anyone know more about the PBTT 7"? Last album was great. Would really love to hear even more new stuff

From Modern-Vinyl: 

According to F.A.B. Distribution, Pianos Become The Teeth will reportedly be taking part in Record Store Day 2015, releasing a 7″ record for “Close.” According to the listing, this was part of the Keep You sessions and the record will be on white, blue and clear swirl vinyl.

i've found that most releases (other than a couple 'limited to 500' releases) can usually be found for pretty close to purchase price online in the days following.

Yeah that's true, I forgot to mention that. I was able to find one of the releases last year through an Amazon seller. The Deja release is exciting but I'm glad they went ahead and announced a standard retail release at the same time. It's a little surprising they announced that actually. But I guess they know people will try and get the RSD variant regardless.

All the Waxwing stuff is available still: http://www.amazon.com:80url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=waxwing+vinyl&rh=n%3A5174%2Ck%3Awaxwing+vinyl/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=kersjour-20&linkId=TH5KMW6QWQNRHZLP

Luckily it looks like we're getting Light and the Sound. Rocky said a Suicide repress is on its way!

Nice!

From Modern-Vinyl:

According to F.A.B. Distribution

, Pianos Become The Teeth will reportedly be taking part in Record Store Day 2015, releasing a 7″ record for “Close.” According to the listing, this was part of the

Keep You sessions and the record will be on white, blue and clear swirl vinyl.

Going to try and snag one for sure.