Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

I grabbed the following records to trade or sell at cost. First priority is trading for the Foo Fighters 10" so I'm gonna hold out on actually selling these until tomorrow in hopes that someone has FF to trade and wants one of these. Let me know

Father John Misty-I Loved You Honeybee Heartshape 7"

Yellowcard-A Perfect Sky 10"

Pianos Become The Teeth-Close 7"

The Devil Wears Prada-South of The City 7"

Dave House- Home Alone EP 7"

The Hold Steady-Boys and Girls in America

If you have that FJM tomorrow, I'll take it!

Were US stores supposed to get Sixteen Horsepower Folklore? I see it on the UK list ... Not complaining, best get for me today.

yep, saw both Folklore and Olden in MN but didn't pick up either.

Did pick up:

Whatever Nevermind

Willie Nelson - Teatro

Mark Kozelek - What's Next To the Moon

Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians

Koes Barat - s/t ( Alan Bishop from Sun City Girls backed by Master Musicians of Bukkake covering Indonesian 60's/70's rock!.. )

Haggerty-Toth Band - Galgebra

Non-RSD:

Modest Mouse - Building Nothing Out of Something

...just missed out on Bedhead live lp and wish I lived in UK for A.C. - Prospect Hummer ep

Very happy with my origami score:NJzjbnT.jpg

I also got Neko Case, Goldfrapp, and Pulp - Little Girl for friends.

The only record I was denied was J Dilla - Fuck the Police because they didn't get it in. actually had to shorten my list and put a few back due to budget concerns, and I didn't want to grab so much with so many still in line. Now I gotta hunt down an ice cream truck and then head home for sleep and listening to all my great records.

And for the record, Origami had 4 copies of Brand New and one Red House Painters box. Those went immediately.

Also went to High Fidelity in Los Feliz. Got there around 45 minutes before doors and there were only a handful of people in line. Once they opened, it was a free for all, but very chill. They didn't have a lot of the more popular items, but they had some good stuff like the Pulp and Bob Dylan records, the Thai Pop compilation, and both J Dilla singles. I grabbed Pulp - Dogs Are Everywhere for a friend and the Tess Parks & Anton Newcombe - Cocaine Cat 10" for myself. It's something I didn't even know about or had heard of, but it stood out to me and I bought it. Just had a good feeling, which served me well because the single is great. Oh yeah, for non-RSD stuff, I got a copy of Elton John's Greatest Hits for $3. And the Blur flexidisc.

I didnt get started on my RSD till verry late in the evening once I finally got off of work. stopped by my local store and there was nothing left. The two things I were looking for were gone. I ended up talking with one of the owners for awhile about how the day went and we got on the topic of Brand New. He told me if I wanted I still had a chance to get the RSD release of this. They knew this was going to be a hot commodity so they didnt sell any of the copies they got in today. Instead anybody who preorder the album (reg one being released in May) is put into a drawing to get a copy of this one. So I have as much chance as the guys who were in line since 8 yesterday morning. Their reasoning for doing it this way....trying to deter flippers from getting their hands on it. Crossing my fingers my name gets drawn, they are picking the names tonight after close and calling people tomorrow. In addition to the preorder I decided to snag the State Champs acoustic EP as it was cheap.

I then decided to stop by Hot Topic since I had a 15% off that was expiring today. They had a sale on vinyl today for RSD and were cool enough to combine it with my 15% off so altogether I got 35% off my records. Here is what I ended up getting today, cant believe I ended up finding MCR - Three Cheers at HT.

5jxz4i.jpg

Well it was my first RSD experience and I got there late(9:55). The store here was packed but everyone was fairly cordial. Unfortunately I could only find 2 of the 9 items I was looking for and one was double the price I thought it would be. Daniel Ash - Stripped ($50) and The Doors - Strange Days in mono ($25)

Still a fun experience overall but I will arrive much earlier next year!

Only one store got a Deja and the inflated sticker price was—no joke—$149.99! The first guy into the store grabbed it and put it in his pile near the window so all of us outside saw the price. I mean, he waited 8 hours to get it so good for him, but that price was ridiculous.

I had the Foos 10" in my hands but I mainly wanted it to hear "Kids In America" and the guy behind me was a diehard fan, so when I heard I had grabbed the last one, I gave it to him instead.

Must have generated some good karma with that, 'cause I found in my travels:

Hanni el kahtib - that cool pie plate pic disk

Ivy - had to go to the local classic rock place to find it cause none of their customer give a damn about fey French pop.

Aha - everyone sold out of it, much to my surprise, and I got the last one in the 4th store I visited

Death cab/Freddy Johnson - sweet

Grandmaster/stiff little fingers - also sweet

Paul McCartney "The Family Way" - not excited about it but as a PMC completist, I'd regret passing it up

Simple Minds Live album—my only "must" and somehow I hadn't considered that it was an import 2LP set on clear vinyl—which meant it was a fortune. $60 but it's another completist act for me.

Replacements - The only one I have buyers regret about.

Also picked up the Metallica tape for an in-law and the Slayer pic disc for a pal. Brought it to the counter with the a-ha pic disc and the clerk was clearly brain-fried by the combination of polar-opposite acts. Good day this year!

Only one store got a Deja and the inflated sticker price was—no joke—$149.99! The first guy into the store grabbed it and put it in his pile near the window so all of us outside saw the price. I mean, he waited 8 hours to get it so good for him, but that price was ridiculous.

Is that allowed?! I mean I get pissed that a store near me inflates the prices 25% but that's just insane. Can that store be reported so they don't screw people over like that in the future???

That's why I'm being deliberately oblique about it. I thought about reporting it, because I hate gouging, but OTOH, I have a friend who's worked there for 10 years--he's not the owner and wasn't in today so that price wasn't his fault, but I don't want to do something that'll inevitably screw over the livelihood of everyone who works there including him. Is my disgust worth the hit to their workers' paychecks if they lose RSD privileges for their two locations? Not really. If I do that, I'm as selfish as them in a way.

Plus, realistically, I should've taken a photo of the price tag—I was close enough that I could've. Otherwise, it's just my word against theirs and surely I'd be dismissed as "a disgruntled customer who didn't get his stupid record."

Those who want Polaris, they just posted this on Facebook:

If you missed out on a vinyl copy of Polaris Music From The Adventures of Pete and Pete' for Record Store Day don't despair! We will have copies for a sale at the upcoming West Coast shows and at www.mezzotint.com starting next week! -Elsa-

looks like you can order it now on their site http://www.mezzotint.com/store.html#polaris

Got 2 of my 3 wants. I can't believe it, but my friend found a Leatherface box set. I honestly thought it was a regional release on the UK but he found one in Canada. Woo hoo! Also managed to keep my Foo collection going with the 10".

Missed out on the Dave Hause, which sucks. If anyone has one to offer I'd be interested. I'm seeing him play on Tuesday night but I don't think he has any on your with him.

Got 2 of my 3 wants. I can't believe it, but my friend found a Leatherface box set. I honestly thought it was a regional release on the UK but he found one in Canada. Woo hoo! Also managed to keep my Foo collection going with the 10".

Missed out on the Dave Hause, which sucks. If anyone has one to offer I'd be interested. I'm seeing him play on Tuesday night but I don't think he has any on your with him.

Glad you found it man!