Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

Here's a bit of much needed perspective for ya'll

What if someone had a terminal disease and couldn't afford the medical care, and was trying to make money in any way possible, and found they could by flipping records? Would that make them a "turd" just because you couldn't get your precious out of print wax disks for a price YOU personally find fair? Christ.

Just an example, an extreme one mind you, to illustrate how fuckin self righteous this board is.

This is what GoFundMe was made for not going out and standing in line for a limited press album to flip you fucking turd.

This is what GoFundMe was made for not going out and standing in line for a limited press album to flip you fucking turd.

Well, in his defense he did say the ilness scenario was 'just an example'.

I'm more perplexed that he honestly thinks anyone might buy the whole "I didn't do it, Discogs was somehow self-aware" explanation. If he doesn't care what people think, at least don't insult their intelligence. 

Man I've honestly been busting my ass trying to help people find stuff for cost, so it sucks to hear that board members may be trying to flip stuff. I honestly was pissed I couldn't find a John Butler Trio for some guy who really wanted one.

I love VC despite the drama because there seems to be more willing to help & be awesome people (looking at you lupe. for getting me Puig & selling for cost). It is tempting to make a profit on stuff, but it's honestly more satisfying to be able to help out (& I'm usually broke as hell haha).

But alas, #thehobby.

Anyways, I must say I'm also grateful to live in NE Ohio because all the stores I go to have standard RSD pricing every year (without the insane inflation some of you are reporting). Record Den in Mentor is my go to first stop every year & the employees are great & all the folks that line up are always civilized & have never caused any problems even when not getting what they want. It's part of why I'll never get sick of RSD no matter what.

So onto my haul...

RSD

Foo Fighters 10"

Run the Jewels 12"

St. Paul 7"

Twenty One Pilots 7"

Reverend Peyton 7"

Puig Destroyer 12" (via lupe.)

NON-RSD

Russian Circles - Enter (black)

Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You (black)

Chet Faker EP (white)

Alabama Shakes 7" (Sound & Color PO exclusive)

Alabama Shames - Third Man Live 7"

Also snagged a Charlie Wagers ITTCT Euro tour poster.

Overall great day & I can't wait for Black Friday!

Here's a bit of much needed perspective for ya'll

What if someone had a terminal disease and couldn't afford the medical care, and was trying to make money in any way possible, and found they could by flipping records? Would that make them a "turd" just because you couldn't get your precious out of print wax disks for a price YOU personally find fair? Christ.

Just an example, an extreme one mind you, to illustrate how fuckin self righteous this board is.

Thanks for the "much needed perspective", Kess.  I really shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Also, I'm going to my shop tomorrow to see what is left over.  Last year they had that video game soundtrack, the Liars record with string, and a few other things left, so they might have some good stuff.  I am in Canada, but our dollar is shit remember, so it might be worth it.  Let me know if there are any specifics you want me to look for.  I'm not even sure if anyone still needs anything after all the places putting stuff up online, but it's worth a shot.  Don't ask if you're some random member with 63 posts.    

Also, I'm going to my shop tomorrow to see what is left over.  Last year they had that video game soundtrack, the Liars record with string, and a few other things left, so they might have some good stuff.  I am in Canada, but our dollar is shit remember, so it might be worth it.  Let me know if there are any specifics you want me to look for.  I'm not even sure if anyone still needs anything after all the places putting stuff up online, but it's worth a shot.  Don't ask if you're some random member with 63 posts.    

Probably not much chance, but looking for Better Call Saul and U2. Is this before or after you pick up your McDavid jersey? ;) 

I enjoy using this board, and I enjoy collecting vinyl, but the constant fighting over people selling records for more then they paid is silly.

Just my opinion, but if you have ever sold a record for more then you paid for it, you have flipped a record.  It doesn't matter if it was the same day you bought (ala RSD) or if it was 6 months down the road and you decided you no longer wanted it.  If you paid $12 and sold it for $24 b/c that's with it's "worth" now, you flipped it.

I enjoy using this board, and I enjoy collecting vinyl, but the constant fighting over people selling records for more then they paid is silly.

Just my opinion, but if you have ever sold a record for more then you paid for it, you have flipped a record.  It doesn't matter if it was the same day you bought (ala RSD) or if it was 6 months down the road and you decided you no longer wanted it.  If you paid $12 and sold it for $24 b/c that's with it's "worth" now, you flipped it.

You just don't get it.  Buying with the intention to flip will always be lame.  That's all that needs to be said.  End of story.

You just don't get it.  Buying with the intention to flip will always be lame.  That's all that needs to be said.  End of story.

YOU don't get it. What's the proper grace period? A few days? A week? A year? 

How do you know what someone's intent is when they buy a record? That's what I'm saying.

This board is just preachers preaching to preachers preaching about bullshit. Sad, truly. 

Playing devil's advocate here for a section - Unless the flippers here on the board were on the same RSD line as you and grabbed a record you physically could've gotten, why do you care if they're flipping?

Because I've been on the other side of it. Wanted a limited press album and now the price is stupid high.

How do you know what someone's intent is when they buy a record? That's what I'm saying.

This board is just preachers preaching to preachers preaching about bullshit. Sad, truly.

If that's how you feel then flip on playa. Why do you care what others think?

No I get it.  It's easy to finger point at people.  What made the $12 record more valuable 6 months down the road when you decided you didn't want it anymore?  The same thing that made the RSD record move valuable on the day it was purchased.  The buyer cannot get it in the store any longer for $12 and is willing to pay $24.  

If you were really that against flipping a record, you would sell all of your records for cost.  But no one does that.  

We don't have to agree, and that's cool.  But acting like you're better then the person that embraces what they are doing is goofy to me. 

No I get it.  It's easy to finger point at people.  What made the $12 record more valuable 6 months down the road when you decided you didn't want it anymore?  The same thing that made the RSD record move valuable on the day it was purchased.  The buyer cannot get it in the store any longer for $12 and is willing to pay $24.  

If you were really that against flipping a record, you would sell all of your records for cost.  But no one does that.  

We don't have to agree, and that's cool.  But acting like you're better then the person that embraces what they are doing is goofy to me. 

Your logic, which is spot on, won't get you well liked around here - if you care about that sort of nonsense. :)

That's the point.  You don't know if someone buys a record with the intention to flip it.  Only the person who buys it will know.  If you know that you're buying a record just to flip it, then it's lame.  End of story.  It's not that difficult.