Crosley keepsake 'deluxe'- a step in the right direction? (Mag cartridge and adjustment options)

So... Crosley's seem to be below the bottom rung of the ladder when it comes to turntables/record players whatever you want to label these as. 

But I just read about the upcoming keepsake deluxe model and with specific reference to an audio technica moving magnetic cartridge and adjustment allowing the user to tailor the 'tonearm weight and anti-skating compensation' it seems they may at least be making moves in the right direction. 

Not sure it quite warrants the "you have all the flexibility of a high end audiophile player" comment in the description but it's enough to peak some interest at least. 

And perhaps will work well enough to be the alternative recommendation for those who want a crosley for looks/portability/all-in-one factor but are at least somewhat aware of the pitfalls. 

http://junostatic.com/products/crosley-cr6250a-keepsake-deluxe-portable-usb-turntable/549303-01/

Thoughts? 

Crosley should stick to the urban outfitters and target markets. People buy crosley's because they're cheap, easy to find, and "look like those old vintage record players". If people are turned on by this "upgraded" player, they should just buy a real turntable.

Crosley should stick to the urban outfitters and target markets. People buy crosley's because they're cheap, easy to find, and "look like those old vintage record players". If people are turned on by this "upgraded" player, they should just buy a real turntable.

True, but I think the target market for crosleys are those who generally don't know all that much about what to buy in what combinations and at the end of the day probably don't have the money to invest in it all. It's a lot of research rather than just picking up a box and being able to listen to records in some capacity immediately.

Having something .. I hesitate to say 'in-between' as it really probably doesn't come close to even the low end 'real turntables'... quality wise is probably a good move in terms of those casual listeners getting somewhat better sound while taking slightly better care of their records. 

It likely will just be a 'higher end' urban outfitters thing but as I started by saying, at least it seems to be a step in the right direction... plus.. figuring out what all those supposedly better features are and how they improve things might just lead those casual listeners to look into upgrading. It's an alternative to the horrid ceramic situations at the very least haha 

I think it's a good thing. These things obviously sale otherwise they wouldn't keep making them, dare I say improving them. At least this way the person who is unknowlegeable about the difference in turntable quality isn't buying a system that will destroy his/her records. I'm sure it still sounds like am radio, but I've got a feeling half the people who purchase these "vintage" style record players believe that's how they're supposed to sound.

until you can hook up your own speakers to these things, and can amplify it however you want, I will never have any interest in them regardless of the cartridges used, etc. Kudos to them for trying though.

"Complete with a built-in preamp (or the ability to use your own) and deluxe stereo speakers you basically have everything you need fully contained in this fabulous vintage-inspired portable carrying case."

Hehe. This and the S shaped tone arm are not going to make you trust Crosley over night. It would take years even if tomorrow they put out something great. They might have felt forced into this because internet comments and reviews give away their secret to anyone who takes 5 minutes to look them up and doesn't just grab one.

"Complete with a built-in preamp (or the ability to use your own) and deluxe stereo speakers you basically have everything you need fully contained in this fabulous vintage-inspired portable carrying case."

Hehe. This and the S shaped tone arm are not going to make you trust Crosley over night. It would take years even if tomorrow they put out something great. They might have felt forced into this because internet comments and reviews give away their secret to anyone who takes 5 minutes to look them up and doesn't just grab one.

haha Probably... they get such a thrashing online that as you say anyone who does an ounce of research is almost automatically a lost sale now. 

I think it's a good thing. These things obviously sale otherwise they wouldn't keep making them, dare I say improving them. At least this way the person who is unknowlegeable about the difference in turntable quality isn't buying a system that will destroy his/her records. I'm sure it still sounds like am radio, but I've got a feeling half the people who purchase these "vintage" style record players believe that's how they're supposed to sound.

It's not like their other players are going away. Most people will still opt for the cheaper player and anyone who does have an extra $75-$100 to spend will probably opt for one of the more expensive tie-dye designs or whatever.

Still, I think it's funny that so many people have an opinion on this, as if Crosley is an evil corporation or something. Why do they need to "take a step in the right direction?" It's no secret that a huge piece of vinyl sales are people that buy records and play them on crosley's. Many of those people end up buying something better down the line, but as shitty as the players are, they've gotten a lot of people started who don't have the money for a great player or know enough about what a good player is.

But like I said before, if you're going to spend an extra $100 or whatever on an 'upgraded' toy, there's a wealth of $200 players that would be a better use of the money; so this is ultimately pointless.

It's not like their other players are going away. Most people will still opt for the cheaper player and anyone who does have an extra $75-$100 to spend will probably opt for one of the more expensive tie-dye designs or whatever.

Still, I think it's funny that so many people have an opinion on this, as if Crosley is an evil corporation or something. Why do they need to "take a step in the right direction?" It's no secret that a huge piece of vinyl sales are people that buy records and play them on crosley's. Many of those people end up buying something better down the line, but as shitty as the players are, they've gotten a lot of people started who don't have the money for a great player or know enough about what a good player is.

But like I said before, if you're going to spend an extra $100 or whatever on an 'upgraded' toy, there's a wealth of $200 players that would be a better use of the money; so this is ultimately pointless.

pointless from the point of view of those who already own the better players... but for crosley and their interests having what seems like a significantly better option within their brand is, I assume, an attempt to get people to upgrade within the brand... or at least to get some nicer comments online. 

I absolutely agree- they have their place as a player for those dipping their toe in the water but it's definitely nice to see what could be a decent player in the case that people like so much.