Fallout Discussion: “76”

Ok, guys. I've been wanting to ask this question for a bit (cause I'm interested in getting it at some point), but wanted the hype to die down a bit first.

So, I've played Fallout for all of like 10 minutes an incredibly long time ago. I get the overall idea of the game. I want to know, how is the game? Is it worth the money. I know it clocks in at around 400+ hours of game time (Skyrim country), but how is it overall? Is it 400 hours of in depth game play coupled with good voice acting, a great story to guide it, good graphics (for whatever machine you're playing it on), etc.

And can I please have an average user's review of this. Not some fan boy who thinks it's the best game ever just cause they've been waiting years for it, or a pcmasterrace loon rip me a new one just cause I have a ps4. I just want an honest, quick review or it from an unbiased source. Rooks or Savage, I know you guys well enough to trust whatever you say, so if you want to take the time to answer, that would be bitchin'. 

Thanks in advance.

Ok, guys. I've been wanting to ask this question for a bit (cause I'm interested in getting it at some point), but wanted the hype to die down a bit first.

So, I've played Fallout for all of like 10 minutes an incredibly long time ago. I get the overall idea of the game. I want to know, how is the game? Is it worth the money. I know it clocks in at around 400+ hours of game time (Skyrim country), but how is it overall? Is it 400 hours of in depth game play coupled with good voice acting, a great story to guide it, good graphics (for whatever machine you're playing it on), etc.

And can I please have an average user's review of this. Not some fan boy who thinks it's the best game ever just cause they've been waiting years for it, or a pcmasterrace loon rip me a new one just cause I have a ps4. I just want an honest, quick review or it from an unbiased source. Rooks or Savage, I know you guys well enough to trust whatever you say, so if you want to take the time to answer, that would be bitchin'.

Thanks in advance.

It's a great game. I didn't play the other fallouts but I knew what to expect. It's got tons of gameplay, near borderlands-level of loot, and tons to do. Voice acting... I mean the acting is good but the in game modelling is lacking as far as syncing it's a Bethesda game. Story is sort of secondary in this game. It's more about the lore than anything, in my opinion. And by that, I mean the setting. Does stepping out of a vault after 200 years in cryo sleep where the world is destroyed by nuclear war and it looks like civilization never got past the 1950 in style sound awesome to you?

Basically, the story set of missions are just another set of missions. But the game can be totally yours. Maybe you don't give a shit about your missing kid, but maybe you meet up with a clan who has sick gear and does cool shit and you spend a hundred hours doing all their quests. Then, that's your story.

I'm typing this on my phone so I'm being very general and not diving in deep, but, it's a great game. There are some framerate issues, some glitches, the graphics aren't going to blow your mind... but it's an awesome open world with more to explore than I can fathom. If you like RPG style levelling, skills, perks, loot, exploring, gunplay, etc there is a lot to like.

Also, after playing Destiny for so long, FO4 is delightfully rewarding. You're constantly getting new levels, perks. Locations, enemies, weapons, armor,list goes on and on.

Additionally, for what it's worth, I don't really like open world games. Maybe that's old school of me but they usually really bug me.

Red Dead, the Dead Islands, Skyrim, GTA, the witcher and others never really struck the right chord with me.

I know this game gets compared to skyrim a lot because they are both Bethesda and everything. But, I think it's closer to borderlands than anything else. Tons of loot, great humor, excellent pacing, lots of action. Everything is spread enough to be believable but compact enough that I'm not spending 10 mins walking to my next destination.

I could go into what I think those games did wrong aND what fallout does right, but, again, on my phone.

Fallout is a great game depending on what you're looking for. If you like a really good story over anything else, I'd lean towards not recommending it.

I disagree, the lore is vast and nearly endless. Depending on how much time you want to invest in the universe there's thousands of articles of information within the game. I don't think it's fair to base the driving aspect of this game around the main character's story alone. There's so many interactive characters within the world that someone could easily spend 200 hours in this game without even touching the "main campaign".

To answer Dave's question, if you're at all interested in this game, buy it. It's a milestone game for this generation. You'll get what you want out of it and if you don't you'll have no problem re-selling. It's a console moving title and I'd be surprised to see a follow up on this hardware. Fallout is a gigantic brand now and Bethesda won't license the IP to another developer like they did with New Vegas or crank another one out on this engine. They're not that kind of studio. If anything we'll get a new Elder Scrolls game on the same engine and that's it. I'm fine with that. I hope they give The Evil Within a proper sequel and create some more new IPs.

Rooks and Rambo, thanks for the info. Based on what you guys said it sounds up my alley. Especially the overall theme, and it being rewarding coming from Destiny. Destiny is pretty much the only game I've played for the past year, so the next game I jump to will have a lot (of played time) to live up to. Fallout doesn't need to be ground breaking by any means, have the most amazing story, or make me feel new feels. I just want it to have good replay value; to be able to constantly have fun with it. It seems to check off that box.

So by the sounds of everything you said I'll be giving this a go soon, probably after the first price drop.

Thanks!

I disagree, the lore is vast and nearly endless. Depending on how much time you want to invest in the universe there's thousands of articles of information within the game. I don't think it's fair to base the driving aspect of this game around the main character's story alone. There's so many interactive characters within the world that someone could easily spend 200 hours in this game without even touching the "main campaign".

To answer Dave's question, if you're at all interested in this game, buy it. It's a milestone game for this generation. You'll get what you want out of it and if you don't you'll have no problem re-selling. It's a console moving title and I'd be surprised to see a follow up on this hardware. Fallout is a gigantic brand now and Bethesda won't license the IP to another developer like they did with New Vegas or crank another one out on this engine. They're not that kind of studio. If anything we'll get a new Elder Scrolls game on the same engine and that's it. I'm fine with that. I hope they give The Evil Within a proper sequel and create some more new IPs.

Oh, I definitely agree about the lore and backstories. I meant the main plot. Lots of people are turned off by it, unfortunately. For anyone who's into the game, though, I'd recommend the Fallout Bible.

One of the only issues I have with F4 is that it's a little more limited story-wise than the others.  The story requires your character to be a father/mother, etc. and have some kind of premade backstory that you cannot craft up yourself.  No longer can you be the Lone Wanderer With No Name, vanquishing deathclaws with plasma rifles pillaged from a Brotherhood Of Steel's corpse.  Now you have a set story that you have to abide by.

But I'm just complaining.

Thanks in advance.

It's fun. It's definitely worth the price. (more so than Destiny in my opinion, but obviously on the single player side of things.) I've died about 20 time so far, and I've been avoiding even doing quests, just running around murdering shit.

I'm 33 hours in and havent even made it to Diamond City yet (which is like the first story mission). There so much to do. Completely worth the money.

Anybody collecting anything specific? I've been grabbing up all those fucking "space monkeys" or whatever.

The wooden toy S.P.E.C.I.A.L blocks.

Anyone find Dr.Goodfeels yet? Funniest thing ive seen yet.

I'm 33 hours in and havent even made it to Diamond City yet (which is like the first story mission). There so much to do. Completely worth the money.

The wooden toy S.P.E.C.I.A.L blocks.

Anyone find Dr.Goodfeels yet? Funniest thing ive seen yet.

Me neither :)

Ahhhh, another good choice!

Haven't seen him!

Just for funzies for me so far, but apparently:

Oh man I hate scavenging for stuff. Never mind the fact that I can't find ANYTHING with gears in them, but the game keeps telling me that I need to hook this thing up to a source of power for a quest (main story, trying to avoid spoilers) and I keep trying but it won't work. It doesn't glow as an indication that it accepts the wire or anything.

Oh man I hate scavenging for stuff. Never mind the fact that I can't find ANYTHING with gears in them, but the game keeps telling me that I need to hook this thing up to a source of power for a quest (main story, trying to avoid spoilers) and I keep trying but it won't work. It doesn't glow as an indication that it accepts the wire or anything.

You have to talk to Sturges and do the settlement stuff in order. You'll need to build a generator and something that uses power. It's ok, that's not really a spoiler, it's just annoying teaching stuff :)

You have to talk to Sturges and do the settlement stuff in order. You'll need to build a generator and something that uses power. It's ok, that's not really a spoiler, it's just annoying teaching stuff :)

I've got a generator (capable of 3 'lightning bolts' of power) built, and I've got the beacon thing built and connected (which takes one 'lightning bolt') but the thing I need powered for this quest won't accept the wire and has a single 'lightning bolt' as a requirement, yet no number to indicate how many.

I may have completely missed the Sturges thing. I assume I'm already kinda far in the game, but I have no idea. This (main) quest is for the railroad, if that helps at all.