OUT NOW: Refused - Freedom

If you think of TSOPTC, then think of everything they've done since (Noise Conspiracy, AC4, TEXT, INVSN, even David Sandstrom Overdrive) then this record makes total sense. The same people hating it are the same people who'd have hated Shape when it came out, I can't imagine someone who's a fan of previous Refused - the heavy stuff, the weird stuff, the multiple genre stuff - not enjoying this.

If you think of TSOPTC, then think of everything they've done since (Noise Conspiracy, AC4, TEXT, INVSN, even David Sandstrom Overdrive) then this record makes total sense. The same people hating it are the same people who'd have hated Shape when it came out, I can't imagine someone who's a fan of previous Refused - the heavy stuff, the weird stuff, the multiple genre stuff - not enjoying this.

As musicians and artists, they've never not thrown a wrench in the system. TSOPTC was a challenging record when it first came out. I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few people on here who would be lying if they were to say they loved it upon release. My 15 year old brain sure didn't love it. I thought "techno" was dumb and wondered why capitalism would ever be important enough to yell about either way. I felt stretched when listening to TSOPTC back then in a similar way to how I feel about listening to Freedom now. It's rare that a band can confuse and excite someone at 15yo and then again twice their life later... that, in and of itself, is an achievement. 

P.S. Anyone looking to unload a Purple for cost... get at me.

lol, are you serious? welcome to punk

Exactly. Welcome to punk. I hated punk back then. I was too suburban bored to care about politics. Refused repackaged a very relevant idea in something other than three chords and militant veganism. TSOPTC was the catalyst for a whole lot of change in a whole lot of people.

It's funny how everyone was comparing the first song to Foo Fighters and these dudes basically put out a modern rock album. As far as the digital stuff goes it's hardly experiential. They're not doing anything you wouldn't hear on a newer pop song on the radio. Overall I don't think it's terrible, but I 100% didn't expect it to sound like their old material. I wonder if the hate train will primarily be occupied by US audiences, I'm curious to see what people aross the pond think.

I want to give it a be fair listen on vinyl given this stream rip I found is basically super bassy up converted 96kbps tracks.

The 80ish hair metal chorus and riffs in War on the Palaces might be the best part of album

At times, this record reminds me of a really poor version of Primal Scream

This record will be played over the PA at the House of Blues while people pay $9 for tall cans of PBR and wait for the opening band to start.