OUT NOW: Refused - Freedom

I mean for people who listen to a lot of music in this thread and to simply equate parts of this record to Red Hot Chili Peppers...it's mind boggling. I mean have people here never listened to the guitar work of other similar sounding bands or even International Noise Conspiracy? Some people really latch on to some weird things here.

I mean for people who listen to a lot of music in this thread and to simply equate parts of this record to Red Hot Chili Peppers...it's mind boggling. I mean have people here never listened to the guitar work of other similar sounding bands or even International Noise Conspiracy? Some people really latch on to some weird things here.

Not saying that Refused = RHCP, personally.  Just drawing similarity to some wonky grooves that are seemingly out of place for Refused, and more paralleled to something like RHCP.  They're present on maybe 2-3 songs.  As a lot of people have said, Freedom is all over the place.  I'd say that many comparisons can be drawn - even to "classic" Refused on a few tracks - but that's neither here nor there.

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to get rid of a sealed black/gold copy if anyone is interested.

Really low price, just looking to get rid of it. Haven't bought a record before actually listening to it in a long time, this album reminded me of why I should never do that. I'm sure some people like it but I was definitely disappointed. Have been trying to sell it on Discogs and Ebay for weeks below cost with no interest. Have tried lowering the price a bunch of times, still no one cares. At this rate pretty soon I'll need to pay one of you to get this record out of my house :P

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

I still haven't listened to this yet haha

I honestly don't understand why people are so disenchanted with it.....if the last thing you listened to from anybody in the band was The Shape of Punk To Come then maybe you got thrown off, but if you followed T(i)NC INVSN (or however it was spelled) or anything else (AC4 aside) you shouldn't be horrible jarred by this release. Is it my favorite Refused album? No. Is it my favorite album any of these dudes have made since The Shape of Punk to Come? No. Is it exactly what I expected a Refused album to sound like having somewhat followed their musical endeavors post-The Shape of Punk to Come? Absolutely. It falls in line with what they said during their first reunion tour "we were younger. We don't think capitalism is horrible anymore".

If anybody was expected anything resembling pre-The Shape of Punk to Come stylings, I'd say they were heavily delusional

It's really not a horrible album, it's really not a horrible album for Refused.....it's not my favorite album of the year, but I've heard a whole lot worse....even this year

I honestly don't understand why people are so disenchanted with it.....if the last thing you listened to from anybody in the band was The Shape of Punk To Come then maybe you got thrown off, but if you followed T(i)NC INVSN (or however it was spelled) or anything else (AC4 aside) you shouldn't be horrible jarred by this release. Is it my favorite Refused album? No. Is it my favorite album any of these dudes have made since The Shape of Punk to Come? No. Is it exactly what I expected a Refused album to sound like having somewhat followed their musical endeavors post-The Shape of Punk to Come? Absolutely. It falls in line with what they said during their first reunion tour "we were younger. We don't think capitalism is horrible anymore".

If anybody was expected anything resembling pre-The Shape of Punk to Come stylings, I'd say they were heavily delusional

It's really not a horrible album, it's really not a horrible album for Refused.....it's not my favorite album of the year, but I've heard a whole lot worse....even this year

100% agree. Also the songs are actually great live.

Every new song I saw live or heard recorded was terrible and cringey. Not to mention most people whose taste I know I trust hated it. I have zero motivation to listen.

Right, so if you were expecting Songs To Fan The Flames of Discontent part II.....don't bother with the new one. If, however, you're perhaps open to new ideas and have kept up with and enjoyed their musical endeavors post-The Shape of Punk To Come you can probably appreciate this album for what it is.

Right, so if you were expecting Songs To Fan The Flames of Discontent part II.....don't bother with the new one. If, however, you're perhaps open to new ideas and have kept up with and enjoyed their musical endeavors post-The Shape of Punk To Come you can probably appreciate this album for what it is.

I never even listened to that record, only know Shape. All I know is francafrique is the second worst song I've heard this year other than that awful coheed single.

I never even listened to that record, only know Shape. All I know is francafrique is the second worst song I've heard this year other than that awful coheed single.