OUT NOW: Refused - Freedom

They played a few new tracks when i saw them during Punk Rock Bowling. They sounded really rad. Yes different, but they were very good live. That being said, I'm still really stoked for this album.

Set list from their show at the observatory the next day, it was pretty much the same thing:

Elektra

The Shape of Punk to Come

The Refused Party Program

Rather Be Dead

Summerholidays vs. Punkroutine

Françafrique

The Deadly Rhythm

Dawkins Christ

Coup d'état

Hook, Line and Sinker

Refused Are Fucking Dead

Liberation Frequency

Tannhäuser / Derivè

Encore:

New Noise

Worms of the Senses / Faculties of the Skull

If the set is like that Saturday, I'll be happy, I can live through three new songs. did they hire an extra guitarist for the tour, or are they doing all the old stuff with just one guitar?

So am I weird for liking that new one? Sure it's not groundbreaking stuff, but I like the groove it's got. I dunno, maybe being more of a casual fan of Refused has allowed me to be a bit more open-minded.

I get why people wouldn't like it, but I personally dig it.

I am a casual fan, and find it generic as all hell

I recall the first time that I heard Liberation Frequency wayyyy back in 1997/98 and - being the little shithead punk rocker that I was - I laughed for DAYS at how awful it was. In fact, that song kept me from the rest of the album for several years.

Then, when I heard it in context with the rest of the album, I finally got it.

Here's hoping that the new song proves to have a similar effect on me. I am still staying positive, though I don't expect another TSOPTC. I just want some good rock songs from one of my favorite bands.

I was just explaining this same concept to a co-worker. My memory of first listening to SOPTC was "why are there electronic beats/techno/etc.". I wasn't a progressive rock fan at this point and didn't listen to much cross-genre music. I ignored SOPTC for a few days and then started wondering if I was missing something. I gave it my first serious listen through after those few days and was hooked. Granted, the new song is a pop rock "anthem" but in context it could make a lot more sense. Time will tell...

• 2 weeks later...