DEFTONES- GORE (OUT NOW)

I just did a search and couldn't find a definitive age. I know when I was a teen (I'm 37), the age was 18. I used to have to get my sister or parents to buy said album. I specifically remember having a problem trying to buy White Zombie - La Sexorcisto when it first came out.

Funny you mentioned Zombie, I remember that one specifically except it was for Astrocreep at a NRM. Then I went to a Sam Goody and they didn't care.

I just did a search and couldn't find a definitive age. I know when I was a teen (I'm 37), the age was 18. I used to have to get my sister or parents to buy said album. I specifically remember having a problem trying to buy White Zombie - La Sexorcisto when it first came out.

I used to work at Circuit City and we were not allowed to sell Parentla Advisory CDs to kids under 18 (unless they had a parent/guardian present with them). That was 10 years ago or more.

The bigger question is what the hell is explicit about this album.

Plus, these stickers seemed way more common in the 80s and 90s. Pretty non existent these days or at least for things I buy

For the most part I think it's required to be in bigger chains like Walmart(may be a bad example, do they still sell only the edited versions of albums?), Target, etc. If your album is only being sold online and in local record shops it seems way less common.

Exactly ^ I thought chains like target, Best Buy etc were required to ID people for PA albums. My local record store never bothered to check my ID at the time and I was buying some since I was 15. It's a compliance policy for bigger chains. And yeah, Walmart only sells edited CD's as far as I know but it's been a long time since I've even looked at CD's there.

After about 7-8 listens I think I slot the songs this way...

Doomed User

Geometric Headdress

Hearts/Wires

Gore

Acid Hologram

Prayers/Triangles

Rubicon

Phantom Bride

Xenon

(L)MIRL

Pittura Infamante

I put the space in between because those first 6 are all so close together in how much I like them. The next batch hasn't done much for me yet. Phantom Bride impressed me on the first listen but the more I hear it the less I like it. Sounds like the biggest oddball on the album & the least like a Deftones song.

After about 7-8 listens I think I slot the songs this way...

Doomed User

Geometric Headdress

Hearts/Wires

Gore

Acid Hologram

Prayers/Triangles

Rubicon

Phantom Bride

Xenon

(L)MIRL

Pittura Infamante

I put the space in between because those first 6 are all so close together in how much I like them. The next batch hasn't done much for me yet. Phantom Bride impressed me on the first listen but the more I hear it the less I like it. Sounds like the biggest oddball on the album & the least like a Deftones song.

Pretty close to how I feel although I don't fully dislike any of the songs. I feel like Rubicon is one of the stronger tracks though.

Pretty close to how I feel although I don't fully dislike any of the songs. I feel like Rubicon is one of the stronger tracks though.

Yeah I definitely can't say I actually dislike anything, I just kind of figured I'd like Phantom Bride more than I do right now. But this is one of those albums where a month from now I'll probably completely change my order. But man those first 5 songs flow together PERFECTLY. And I actually like how the album comes down a bit with Pittura --->Xenon--->(L)MIRL before it picks back up with Gore. And I've had some sick visualizations of hearing Gore live & going ape shit when the chorus kicks in.

Yeah I definitely can't say I actually dislike anything, I just kind of figured I'd like Phantom Bride more than I do right now. But this is one of those albums where a month from now I'll probably completely change my order. But man those first 5 songs flow together PERFECTLY. And I actually like how the album comes down a bit with Pittura --->Xenon--->(L)MIRL before it picks back up with Gore. And I've had some sick visualizations of hearing Gore live & going ape shit when the chorus kicks in.

The only complaint I can level against this record is that there's some riffs that just feel a little overly simplistic (intro riff to xenon) or out of place with the rest of the song (that thrashy part on doomed user)... but these are minor gripes.

The only complaint I can level against this record is that there's some riffs that just feel a little overly simplistic (intro riff to xenon) or out of place with the rest of the song (that thrashy part on doomed user)... but these are minor gripes.

I've come to love that thrashy part in Doomed User. But I agree with your point overall. I think it's (L)MIRL that suffers badly from that. The badass post-rockish intro into that guitar that sounds like it was plugged into the first amp ever made really hurts that song imo.

So what the fuck guys, does the vinyl press sound good or bad then? I cant tell since I dont know whether you are listening to it on a Crosley or VPI.

Im interested in the EU press.

Though my white copy is less than perfect it's still enjoyable for the most part, certainly nothing out of the ordinary or a deal breaker. I cleaned my copy on an RCM and played it on a Music Hall mmf 7.1 through nice headphones/speakers.