DEFTONES- GORE (OUT NOW)

Man, so greatful I got to see them twice in a row, Kimmel show will be aired tonight, and the setlist was better than yesterday's, even though they did 4 of the same songs, they did 7 today.

1. Prayers/Triangles

2. Rubicon

3. Hearts/Wires

4. Diamond Eyes

5. Tempest

6. Swerve City

7. Rocket Skates

This album is actually pretty cool! I haven't listened to much Deftones, but this is really making me want to go back and explore their discography. Might even pick up that B-sides and rarities compilation on RSD.

It's definitely in your best interest to do that, in my opinion.  If you dig the sound they dialed in for Gore, I think you'd probably have the best luck working backwards from it, chronologically.

I've listened to this for a bout 2 and a half spins through and I have to say that I'm really feeling it right away. With the last two albums there were 2 to 3 songs on each album that felt terribly underwhelming and just like a phone-in but this album doesn't feel like it has any full songs that are unpalatable but rather some small sections of songs here and there that are slightly lackluster. Also, this album feels a lot like Palms simply with shorter songs for me which is awesome because I love that project way more than Crosses. That consistent reverb on the vocals kills me in a good way. There are a lot of good things happening with this album. The one major con with it that I'd say is that it feels sort of drenched in this obvious piecing together of the songs which is far less organic feeling than some other albums they have but it kind of serves the super ethereal or otherworldly vibe that carries this record.

Not that I ever put much stock into a Pitchfork review, but it's always nice to see bands that actually deserve respect get some from them, despite the predictable and lazy mentions of being able to "emerge out of the nu-metal scene", which plagues literally EVERY review involving a Deftones album.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21547-gore/

EDIT: Holy shit that last paragraph is the most "Pitchfork" thing I've ever read. LOL.

Holy shit, Ian Cohen reviewed something that wasn't third wave emo Topshelf core? Damn.