PO: The Get Up Kids

it pretty much was this, with Eudora in there as well after STWHA, which is one of my favorites of theirs. I play Eudora more than most of their other stuff.

My order of their albums has definitely changed over the years, but for full lengths I think it goes 4MM>On A Wire>STWHA>Eudora>the other two.

4MM and On A Wire are close for me though. They're just so different sounding.

My order of their albums has definitely changed over the years, but for full lengths I think it goes 4MM>On A Wire>STWHA>Eudora>the other two.

4MM and On A Wire are close for me though. They're just so different sounding.

yeah, pretty similar for me.  4MM and On a Wire are my two favorites, and it depends on what mood I'm in.

Something To Write Home About is an album that far exceeds its genre's limitations. A lot of times we talk about "essential" albums in punk/hardcore and they don't hold a candle to Pet Sounds, Kind of Blue or The Stranger. I'm not saying STWHA is the greatest of all time, but it definitely should be known outside of our community. It's an album that at 19 had so much relevance to my life that I wore out a copy from playing it so much. Yet, at 34, songs like "I'm A Loner Dottie, A Rebel" resonate with me because of stuff I'm dealing with after ending a relationship. I'm sure people who enjoy this record can relate to it on a deeper level than just enjoying it. There's a lot of wisdom in these words.

STWHA was the last album they released that I loved.  On A Wire was a huge disappointment when it came out and even going back to it now, I still can't really get into it.  There's some stuff I like on there, but it doesn't grab me as a whole.  Guilt Show still does nothing for me.

Edit : I really dug the Simple Science EP too.  It seemed to recapture what I liked about those early GUK albums.

STWHA was the last album they released that I loved.  On A Wire was a huge disappointment when it came out and even going back to it now, I still can't really get into it.  There's some stuff I like on there, but it doesn't grab me as a whole.  Guilt Show still does nothing for me.

Edit : I really dug the Simple Science EP too.  It seemed to recapture what I liked about those early GUK albums.

Ahhhhh, see On a Wire is so fucking cathartic and melancholy. I love that shit.

Something to Write Home About is the first record I ever bought. It was my favorite album at the time and I didn't even know they still made records. I saw it in a music store in Salt Lake City and just bought it to hang on my wall in my dorm. I think this album has aged very well too, unlike a lot of the other stuff from the genre that I loved at the time.

definitely a grower. that guitar riff from walking on a wire gets stuck in your head

The Ed Rose mix of "Walking On a Wire" is fantastic.

I remember the On a Wire picture disc was one of the first records I ever bought, all these memories coming back! Did anyone else see them on the tour for it with Superchunk? 

I went to the date in Mass. HRC was killer, Superchunk I was throwing up during so I dont remember much and TGUK was amazing. It was my graduation from H.S. pressent from my best friend. I was never a big fan of STWHA so I was happy that they played a lot of On A Wire that night.