A vertical record player, cause screw it...

at first I was wondering what the big deal was, there have been plenty of vertical record players in the past, but after actually seeing it, this is fucking dumb. the entire tonearm configuration seems wrong for the layout, and the fact that there's no dust cover of any sort is a huge nope. not only is the record vulnerable to dust and whatnot, does the tonearm just float there in the air when not in use? I can see someone catching it on something accidentally while walking by or cleaning (or kids), and snap, there goes the tonearm.

Honestly, I don't hate it. I actually kind of like it. Would I buy one? Probably not, but it's still a cool concept. It's interesting to look at, I can appreciate the amount of time they've apparently put into designing it, and it seems like they've used decent-quality materials to build it. Not an audiophile table by any stretch of the imagination, but audiophiles aren't their target market anyway, so take that for what it's worth, I guess.

Also, from the videos I watched on the Kickstarter page, it looks like the platter isn't completely vertical; it rests at a slight angle, which makes a lot more sense design-wise.

(Side note, it'd make taking Instagram pictures a hell of a lot easier. Obviously I'm sold on that alone.)

That Technics one is actually pretty smart-looking. Very space age. And knowing Technics, it probably wasn't half bad. 

On topic: This is a novel idea. It's sort of cool, and marginally innovative in that the platter actually sits at a mild incline, which I imagine might be easier to track than a directly vertical one. It's just another facet of the vinyl bubble, really - this is not much different from people buying the blonk-fun82 splatters to hang on their walls. It's a statement piece, and it looks sorta cool. 

It's always fun to watch everyone crawl out of the woodwork to display who is the most jaded and cynical, though. What's the point? This isn't half as bad as VYNL, and whoever's designed it has to have had at least half a brain to understand the logistics of tracking vertically and shit. Cart isn't too shabby, either.

Anyway, I personally think that anything that will draw more people to develop an interest in vinyl, and help keep this industry alive post-vinyl bubble, is something we can tolerate. Lots of people grow out of their Crosleys and AT-LP60s (I had one of those, y'know) to become contributing members of this community, and the vinyl community at large. Is it likely that everyone - or anyone - who buys this table will do that? No, but why be so fucking exclusive? Why race to the first page to exclaim that and explain why this is a shitty idea?

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, sure. But sort of a cheeky one at that - tell me honestly that you wouldn't want to watch your ultra-rare Sunbather variant spin on this table.

I was being more than a little sarcastic but I do like the look of it and also like the idea of doing something just for the sake of it but would I buy one no the engineer in me would want to put it right all the time.

Having owned more than one of those I listed above on an ooh that looks cool and it's cheap I'll buy one whim and still owning a ghetto blaster with one in for the same reasons I can attest to the many physical problems that this design introduces, not least the wear on your records and also the dropping your records end on onto the floor when trying to put them onto the platter but mostly how terrible every one of the examples above is.

This one at least looks to use some nice components but the physics just don't stack up to me, gravity only works in one direction and with this design they are asking components intended to function in one plane to function in a totally different one.

Of the old ones they tended to be linear tracking arms to remove some of those problems but it didn't remove all of them, if you thought the downward force on a Crosley arm could be aggressive these things are in a different league. The Mitsubishi one was the best from memory but still not great. Some have two arms so they can play both sides and they are a complete mechanical nightmare.

Having owned more than one of those I listed above on an ooh that looks cool and it's cheap I'll buy one whim and still owning a ghetto blaster with one in for the same reasons I can attest to the many physical problems that this design introduces, not least the wear on your records and also the dropping your records end on onto the floor when trying to put them onto the platter but mostly how terrible every one of the examples above is.

This one at least looks to use some nice components but the physics just don't stack up to me, gravity only works in one direction and with this design they are asking components intended to function in one plane to function in a totally different one.

All good points, but what interests me most about these (especially the Technics) is the engineering that goes into them - that's what interests me most about all hifi audio, really. Here's a cool thread I found about some unique mechanics in the Technics table.

Of the old ones they tended to be linear tracking arms to remove some of those problems but it didn't remove all of them, if you thought the downward force on a Crosley arm could be aggressive these things are in a different league. The Mitsubishi one was the best from memory but still not great. Some have two arms so they can play both sides and they are a complete mechanical nightmare.

This was something I found particularly interesting. Surely a mechanical nightmare, but also quite a mechanical feat when/if it works. Shit like this is what makes turntables cool.

All good points, but what interests me most about these (especially the Technics) is the engineering that goes into them - that's what interests me most about all hifi audio, really. Here's a cool thread I found about some unique mechanics in the Technics table.

This was something I found particularly interesting. Surely a mechanical nightmare, but also quite a mechanical feat when/if it works. Shit like this is what makes turntables cool.

The problem with all of the 80's vertical tables was that they were mostly gimmicks so not well made, the 2 arm one especially and when you buy them used make sure the belts are good because they were not made to be replaced with ease. The Technics one was better than a lot of the others but still had all the drawbacks and as I say if I had to pick one it would be the Mitsubishi 

I saw this kickstarter checking out my FB yesterday, too. I guess it's cool to watch, but how many people watch their records spin while they play? Is that a thing?

Maybe I don't life right.

Record players playing.

Washing machines washing.

Ceiling fans spinning.

Excercise bike wheels turning.

These are all important, purposeful things to watch...