A vertical record player, cause screw it...

I don't think a long tone arm would be able to track very well, when it's placed vertically like that. A linear tracking table would make more sense. I don't like it, as I see no point in it.

I don't like the idea of making the tonearm track vertically and the record sit perpendicular to gravity for no real reason.  It's probably safe but my unwanted thoughts syndrome just keeps imagining the arm falling over and the record slipping off and crashing into pieces on the floor.

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a little odd...

I definitely think it's unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice, visually its different to the norm and with some nice coloured variants it would be a good "conversation piece", but ultimately my concern is with that tonearm. I mean gravity plays a big part in everything working in unison on a normal TT (counterweight etc), why fuck with that?

Oh god! I just re-read the article and completely missed this INCREDIBLE selling point!

"This vinyl record player works with built-in full-range stereo speakers AND has the ability to send signal out to the speakers you've got in the corners of your room with RCA line-out"

What a time to be alive....

I mean gravity plays a big part in everything working in unison on a normal TT (counterweight etc), why fuck with that?

Right? All the additional engineering to get it vertical not only means more expense but also more opportunity for mechanical trouble. Classic example of a solution where there was no problem.

At an educated guess, it’s probably not going to sound amazing — $350 isn’t a whole lot for a turntable, especially one that includes built-in speakers (and presumably some magical engineering that makes the whole vertical record thing work). But at the very least, the cartridge — the important bit at the end of the arm that makes the most difference to sound quality — is a well-reputed model from Audio Technica. Gramovox, the company behind it, has managed to actually sell audio equipment before, which helps allay some of the usual Kickstarter vaporware concerns. And there’s no danger of the project not meeting its goal — it’s already raised $136,000, way past the original $50,000 goal.

Is it gonna be as bad as I think it is, guys?

I doubt this is intended to be a practical player that will be used all of the time. It's the type of novelty item you'd categorize alongside things like lava lamps, those purple electricity balls or the singing fish. It's the type of thing a boring person would bust out every now and then as a talking point for guests, a date or whatever.

I just came across this kickstarted too, my first thoughts were similar to all those points made above. Then I thought it is a cool "art piece" to add to a room, and various colored variants would showcase well, but is it more than that? Probably not! Just a turntable that will probably have issues as time goes on, I can't image this is built to last given gravity, the tonearm and built in speakers. Ive found most tables with built in speakers die with in 2-3 years... (so I've read/heard) granted this one should be much higher quality then those crosely jokes and cheap best buy 3-1 players...

Would I buy this for $75? YES! but not a penny more, as its just art rather than a serious table...

It seems like they did their homework, it has some nice features like an acrylic platter, a (i assume) decent cartridge. 

The whole amp/speakers all in one idea I hate, but if it sounds good then not the end of the world.

I actually think it looks really nice and being able to watch your record like that would be really cool. But as stated above, why fight gravity?

If i was rich or this was cheap, id prob give it a go. But for the same price my record player cost me, no thanks.