PO: NOW! - Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (9/25/15)

I think this is a standard-great Caspian record: A couple MAMMOTH standout tracks, and everything else is par for the course, which is fucking awesome.

I mean, when everything you do is fucking awesome, fucking awesome becomes pretty mundane. Which is a weird thing... when spectacular becomes dulled by experience.

Post-rock problems....

I think this is a standard-great Caspian record: A couple MAMMOTH standout tracks, and everything else is par for the course, which is fucking awesome.

I mean, when everything you do is fucking awesome, fucking awesome becomes pretty mundane. Which is a weird thing... when spectacular becomes dulled by experience.

Post-rock problems....

LOL I get what you are saying. Maybe "dulled" was a bad choice of words though haha.

They do raise the bar so high though. It's almost like the only way they can surprise is by NOT continuing to raise the bar.

I read a review that said this album is basically "post-post-rock" haha. Almost like someone is finally taking what's considered "standard post-rock" and smashing through the boundaries, while staying true to post-rock's roots. So if that's an accurate assessment, tomorrow needs to get here quicker with my damn record on my doorstep.

Also, they posted on their Facebook anyone that ordered a copy through them or Hobbledehoy is automatically entered into a raffle for a signed test press.

lol what?  :huh:

Oh come on, it's not that hard to grasp!

LOL I get what you are saying. Maybe "dulled" was a bad choice of words though haha.

They do raise the bar so high though. It's almost like the only way they can surprise is by NOT continuing to raise the bar.

I read a review that said this album is basically "post-post-rock" haha. Almost like someone is finally taking what's considered "standard post-rock" and smashing through the boundaries, while staying true to post-rock's roots. So if that's an accurate assessment, tomorrow needs to get here quicker with my damn record on my doorstep.

Yeah, maybe dulled wasn't the right word... but you get what I mean. When everything you do is fucking awesome, that becomes the routine thing, and sometimes it's hard to get excited and thrilled about routine. "Oh, another great Caspian record. Okay, what else is new... this is what we expected." Haha

I love the post-post-rock tag, though. I think it's totally perfect. Caspian, and even bands like ITTCT and Sleepmakeswaves take the post-rock attributes and repackage it into this wildly energetic new thing. Whereas a group like This Will Destroy You or Mono or Joy Wants Eternity is kind of "standard" post-rock to me. But a lot of the best bands make a more creative take on the post-rock style and add some new stuff to it, like with Gates and how they mix it with post-hardcore/screamo styled rock, or Maybeshewill and having a heavy piano presence, or Jakob and their thunderingly heavy wall-of-sound thing.

For those that caught Caspian already, how has Loft sounded in concert? That's a dream of mine, I can't wait for Boston.

Looks like kings road still has black up for sale.

https://eu.kingsroadmerch.com/caspian/view/?id=9029

That could be the BSM /700 black which is not 180g I think. I might be wrong though?

Edit:

The clear/black color in color german retail exclusive showed up today! It looks fucking gorgeous.

That could be the BSM /700 black which is not 180g I think. I might be wrong though?

Thats probably the case. Other than the hello merch bundle I don't see 180g available anywhere else. They were out of /400 I think. Maybe they will break the bundles and just sell the LPs eventually.