A discussion about record flippers

Yeah the sneaker game is fucked up, I stopped collecting like 3/4 years ago because my closet couldn't handle it. I think the most expensive shoes I have are a pair of Nike Sb dunk high "Skunks".. People will pay up to $700 for a pair. I wear mine though so it's like a used record someone will pay a fraction of that price for used sneakers... Crazy right? Sneakers are a little more tangible though because you need the physical product to be satisfied, can't stare at a jpg and be content.

Idk if any of you are familiar with the brand Supreme but people flip their stuff like it's their only job.

Actually now that I think of it, I've sold a record for an absurd amount. Is this called flipping? I found an original copy of who's next sealed on the Decca label for $2 at a thrift shop, didn't open it and it sat in my closet for a few months until I realized the worth. I sold it for $200+

Sure I "flipped" it but the record was over 40 years old and sealed so obviously someone's going to pay a pretty penny

Everyone knows flipping is ok if you do it...it's when some one else does it that it's wrong.

But since we all know flipping is wrong on VC, what other "vices" are ok around here? Bootlegging (see moonshake thread), Womanizing (see breast appreciating thread), fraud (see Best Buy thread),......I'm sure there is more.

Actually now that I think of it, I've sold a record for an absurd amount. Is this called flipping? I found an original copy of who's next sealed on the Decca label for $2 at a thrift shop, didn't open it and it sat in my closet for a few months until I realized the worth. I sold it for $200+

Sure I "flipped" it but the record was over 40 years old and sealed so obviously someone's going to pay a pretty penny

Not really flipping. Even if you saw it for $2, knew exactly what it was and it's value, why the fuck would you sell it for $2? To be nice? No. If any one of these summanabeechez in here saw a mint(ish) In Keeping Secrets 1st press (any variant) you would probably list it for $250-300. That's its value some of the time/ most of the time. However if you go to Hottopic and buy all the copies of the latest press of Blonk or Circa and immediately list them for 2xs the cost, that's definitely flipping and pretty uncool (in my opinion). But, in fairness, if you beat me into the store and want to buy all the copies of TOYPAJ, then technically you were there first, but some of us have actual jobs and can't hang out at hottopic. I'd say that sums it all up.

cat.gif

But since we all know flipping is wrong on VC, what other "vices" are ok around here? Bootlegging (see moonshake thread), Womanizing (see breast appreciating thread), fraud (see Best Buy thread),......I'm sure there is more.

I give my approval on the grounds that some records need to be bootlegged (think Exmilitary), appreciating women's bodies is not womanizing, sleeping with multiple women is (which can be fine if everyone involved is okay with it), fraud is not okay, but ordering something in hopes of getting it, then receiving store credit when you cannot is just Best Buy's former policy (current maybe? I dunno). The way you worded that makes them all sound more criminal than reality. Flipping isn't criminal it's just frowned upon amongst people here.

Yeah I feel ya. I knew it wouldn't be categorized under the scum side.

I managed to acquire two copies of government plates last year and I traded someone on here for a blonk record. I feel as though I've had karma come back to me for that doing because I've got a lot of really good deals from people on here. It's better to help others than just yourself.

Yeah I feel ya. I knew it wouldn't be categorized under the scum side.

I managed to acquire two copies of government plates last year and I traded someone on here for a blonk record. I feel as though I've had karma come back to me for that doing because I've got a lot of really good deals from people on here. It's better to help others than just yourself.

That's a solid trade. Which blonk?

I'm still missing GP :/ but I will survive.

As long as I know how to love...I know I'll stay alive.

It was Enema of the state so I was pretty stoked about that. At least it's better than having two of the same record lol

Hah.. I'm missing exmilitary still, idk I just don't want to order a bootleg copy.. But if I ever came across it in store then I would jump all over it.

I bought the black bootleg and though I cannot compare it to the legit pressing, it sounds pretty great! So if you can get it for a good price definitely do that.

I give my approval on the grounds that some records need to be bootlegged (think Exmilitary), appreciating women's bodies is not womanizing, sleeping with multiple women is (which can be fine if everyone involved is okay with it), fraud is not okay, but ordering something in hopes of getting it, then receiving store credit when you cannot is just Best Buy's former policy (current maybe? I dunno). The way you worded that makes them all sound more criminal than reality. Flipping isn't criminal it's just frowned upon amongst people here.

How dare you use logic and be rational here!

Listen.

I've flipped a record or two in my day, but if you're going to do it on here...be discrete about it.

I knew somebody wanted that Sufjan 7" so I PM'ed them and sold it to them at an inflated price, but still far less than they'd be able to get it elsewhere.

Seeing as it was tour only and going for $100+ everywhere else, $60ppd didn't seem that bad to him. Take into account the cost of tickets to the show ($40 + fees here), the cost of the 7" itself ($10), shipping, and that $60 just about let me break even on the night.

What I'm saying here is that many of us may have flipped something once or twice, but there are some people who are huge offenders in this category, either doing it so often or asking absurd prices for stuff that they bought specifically to sell.  If you want to sell records as a job, open a store. Obviously people on this forum aren't a fan of flipping, so making threads to flip, or mentioning in other threads that you're selling something new at an inflated price isn't smart.

Sell stuff on eBay/discogs and don't promote it here, or privately contact people about stuff they want, and less users on here will hate you. Then maybe, just maybe, we can avoid stupid threads like this where everyone is just arguing about the semantics of what flipping a record really means.

/thread

Have you guys ever had someone in a band get mad at you for flipping their records? Bryan Funck of Thou hates me because I did that.

Ha! What release was it? The demand for some of their stuff is so high, I'm sure whoever bought said record was perfectly fine paying what they did.

It was the RSD 7" from this year. I had two people ask me to get them one (a buddy here locally, William; and a guy in Chicago who is a VC user here, who can vouch that I sold it to him at cost) and one for myself. I kept mine. Sold one to Mike in Chicago and didn't need the third because my friend William got over to Sisters In Christ to get one. Bryan asked me not to flip any on ebay, but after spending $100 on RSD, I knew I could flip the Thou 7" easily. I got greedy. When I did, it didn't sell immediately. Bryan texted me that he saw it and I just tried to cover it up, but it was obviously me. I ended it early and sold it for $20 PPD or something. I apologized to another guy who runs the shop and Bryan, but Bryan is still mad at me. I cry nightly.

I reckon it's pretty amazing to be friends with one of the hands down best metal bands out there atm..

To his credit, he's the least rock star guy I've ever "known" that's in a band. Also, he hates all things of record collector culture. He sells stuff he likes, doesn't give a shit about rarity. And he hates when people pay high dollar for Thou records. He sort of refuses to acknowledge the supply/demand element in collecting these days. 

To his credit, he's the least rock star guy I've ever "known" that's in a band. Also, he hates all things of record collector culture. He sells stuff he likes, doesn't give a shit about rarity. And he hates when people pay high dollar for Thou records. He sort of refuses to acknowledge the supply/demand element in collecting these days.

Then could they keep Through the Empires of Eternal Void in press, pleeeeeeeeease?

This is definitely true, given the fact I paid insanely low prices for records from Sisters In Christ earlier this year. Great dude.

Also, he hates all things of record collector culture... doesn't give a shit about rarity. And he hates when people pay high dollar for Thou records. He sort of refuses to acknowledge the supply/demand element in collecting these days. 

He hates it so much he spends time on ebay looking his own band up. That's funny.