Deafheaven - New Bermuda

For what it's worth, someone at Hello Merch said that the only version with the embossed sleeve is the opaque violet. Seems weird that they would go through the trouble of doing that for a few hundred records instead of all "deluxe" versions, so who knows. Sorry for making things even more confusing. Also - interested in purchasing the splatter pressing of Sunbather if any of y'all are looking to sell. 

For what it's worth, someone at Hello Merch said that the only version with the embossed sleeve is the opaque violet. 

it's the only version out of the ones hello merch are selling that has the embossed sleeve. there are others with the embossed sleeve available through kings road, like the clear and black deluxe pressings that are still available.

How long ago did the blue sell out? Never had the money to preorder so idk, but just finally got a little extra and I'd love to buy a blue off of someone (whenever you get it in the mail of course).

I like this album more than Sunbather, and that's saying something because Sunbather was one of my favorite records of 2013.

What's there to waver on? And that's really surprising (unfortunate?) to hear, considering how long you've had the album art as your avatar. Maybe I was being cautiously optimistic, but I think the record smashed my personal expectations. I can see how it'd polarize a few fans... but for the most part I don't understand how the majority of current Deafheaven fans wouldn't love it.

What's there to waver on? And that's really surprising (unfortunate?) to hear, considering how long you've had the album art as your avatar. Maybe I was being cautiously optimistic, but I think the record smashed my personal expectations. I can see how it'd polarize a few fans... but for the most part I don't understand how the majority of current Deafheaven fans wouldn't love it.

I do share your optimism! I'm positive that it will grow on me. Went in on the first listen with no expectations whatsoever, not having heard a single note prior to sitting down with it. It just didn't click at all! I actually felt bored and a bit frustrated when I started side c. The last two songs had its fair share of solid moments though..

Anyways, maybe I'm too tired or moody or whatever and I'm sure this thing will kick fairly soon! But not today.

I remember everyone being iffy about Come Back when it was released; I opted out of listening to it at the time, but I distinctly recall a lukewarm reception of the "chug" aspect of it. Honestly, both parts of that song have propelled it into "early favorite" status for me. Those riffs are way too infectious, and that latter half is pure beauty.

I do share your optimism! I'm positive that it will grow on me. Went in on the first listen with no expectations whatsoever, not having heard a single note prior to sitting down with it. It just didn't click at all! I actually felt bored and a bit frustrated when I started side c. The last two songs had its fair share of solid moments though..

Anyways, maybe I'm too tired or moody or whatever and I'm sure this thing will kick fairly soon! But not today.

Fair enough. Give it another whirl soon; I specifically waited for a time I'd be in a good mood to soak it in. (But I also take my "first listen" experience pretty seriously, for what it's worth.) Today's revisit will be blared while commuting back from work, with a stereo setup that's ace at enveloping the listener in all-surrounding blankets of sound. I'm expecting great things.

I remember everyone being iffy about Come Back when it was released; I opted out of listening to it at the time, but I distinctly recall a lukewarm reception of the "chug" aspect of it. Honestly, both parts of that song have propelled it into "early favorite" status for me. Those riffs are way too infectious, and that latter half is pure beauty.

4:58 - 5:30 in Come Back is probably my favorite part of the record.  I get the "I am my fathers son, I am no one, etc..." feeling from The Pecan Tree during that part, which is my favorite part of any Deafheaven song.  I wish it lasted a bit longer, those long drawn out screams with soaring guitars, but as you said, the outro is beautiful.

Agreed. I feel like Come Back could close the album nicely, if it was the final track.

To fellow Godspeed fans listening to this album: did anyone get serious LYSF vibes from the sample on this album? It instantly made me think of the Arco recording on Skinny Fists. What's more is that the song that immediately follows the sample opens up with a guitar strum that is way too similar to the opening guitar on Sleep. Am I imagining that? Because those two things - back to back - feel like a not-so-subtle nod and wink to Godspeed. Which I'm totally cool with. I can respect that method of "paying respect" a lot more than aping GY!BE's sound, like so many other bands have tried doing over the years.