Deafheaven - New Bermuda

Not to derail the thread and talk about music, but over the last few weeks I've been told multiple times that I should be listening to Alcest if I like Deafheaven, and that they did the whole shoegaze black metal thing long before. I skimmed through their last album and it seemed pretty weak, no real comparison that I could hear. Is there anything specific I should check out from Alcest if I'm into Sunbather and New Bermuda?

Plus they (Alcest) are playing here in a few days and my buddies are opening, I didn't feel like paying the cover for what I heard and was going to skip it. Are they worth seeing?

That's the whole point. Why be outraged over something until we hear more. No one is being converted or convinced either way. The dude was tweeting at his friends, not responding to hate like all the news articles are suggesting. Should he have said what he said? Nah. So, okay. Let's hear what he says now.

Also let's not pretend for a second that this isn't part of an agenda. Someone "found" these comments the week their new album is coming out? If you search deafheaven right now there are more results about homophobic comments than there are reviews for the new album. Does that excuse his comments? No, sure, definitely not.

But let's also not pretend that we should be losing sleep or not eating because we are so shocked and stunned by this. The guy is an edgy "black metal" guitarist who uses shitty humor with his friends. If you don't want to support the band because of it, then dont! That's totally chill. But arguing for or against the use of "faggot" as an insult is as elementary as using the word as an insult. You could always go with my retort when I was in fifth grade "oh no you're calling me a bundle of sticks?? I'm so hurt".

Just saying. You're giving the word it's power by being offended.

Is it hard to go through life being so offended by everything around you? I'm just curious, does it physically hurt? I can't imagine what it must be like to feel so much about things that do not affect me in any way.

Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't affect other people. Everybody is different, and maybe people who identify as being gay might be offended. And maybe some people who identify as gay won't be offended. Don't be an asshole. It's not hard.

Not to derail the thread and talk about music, but over the last few weeks I've been told multiple times that I should be listening to Alcest if I like Deafheaven, and that they did the whole shoegaze black metal thing long before. I skimmed through their last album and it seemed pretty weak, no real comparison that I could hear. Is there anything specific I should check out from Alcest if I'm into Sunbather and New Bermuda?

Plus they (Alcest) are playing here in a few days and my buddies are opening, I didn't feel like paying the cover for what I heard and was going to skip it. Are they worth seeing?

The vocals totally put me off, but I am anti-clean in most cases; clean vocals that is.

Their record "Écailles de Lune" is super good! The most recent record was a bit of a letdown for me as well, but I think in a live environment they play a lot of the old stuff, too. Given the fact that (depending on where you are based) Emma Ruth Rundle should also be on the bill, there really are many reasons to go out to the show!

Alcest have been slowly moving away from incorporating any black metal into their sound, but as the post above me stated, Écailles de Lune is great, as is Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde and Le Secret. They're essentially just a shoegaze band now that's reminiscent of Slowdive.

Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't affect other people. Everybody is different, and maybe people who identify as being gay might be offended. And maybe some people who identify as gay won't be offended. Don't be an asshole. It's not hard.

and maybe people who identify as straight might get offended because maybe people who identify as being gay might be offended. 

Is it hard to go through life being so offended by everything around you?  I'm just curious, does it physically hurt? I can't imagine what it must be like to feel so much about things that do not affect me in any way.

It's not really about me being offended or hurt, it's about how stunned I am that people still believe the freedom to use this word flippantly for shitty internet jokes is more important than having just a tiny little bit of respect for fellow humans.

The fact is that hundreds of thousands of people have suffered extreme intimidation and violence by people who love to use this word. Every night people are followed home from bars by groups of men screaming this word. Countless members of our communities end up in hospitals with cracked skulls and mental scars that never fade, and the perpetrators of these violent acts are shouting this word as they lay their boot in. Why would any reasonable person just not use such a pointless, useless word that causes so much hurt in the world? Is it really that much to expect?

Dude, lol. It's like we aren't even looking at the same situation.

THREE YEARS AGO: some random, non-famous dude tweeted some shitty slurs at his close friends.

He hasn't defended it (yet), and no one should be defending it. It was, and is, shitty.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing about at this point? Everyone here (mostly) is agreeing it was shitty. But you're still up in arms about it. So, is he beyond redemption in your mind? Sell all your Deafheaven shit because this guy said something a while ago that is hurtful to someone? I'm not sure what your end goal here is. Are you just spreading awareness that people shouldn't use homophobic slurs? I think the people that know that, already know that, and the people that don't will just never learn. It's 2015.

I've seen Alcest a couple weeks ago and they were okay live. It's true they incorporate a lot more of their bm-roots at their shows. I enjoy their latest album a lot, but it didn't sound too great played live.

If they're still touring with Lantlos, go. Seriously. That's where Deafheaven found A LOT of inspiration for their sound. That and they are seriously fucking good.

THREE YEARS AGO: some random, non-famous dude tweeted some shitty slurs at his close friends.

He hasn't defended it (yet), and no one should be defending it. It was, and is, shitty.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing about at this point? Everyone here (mostly) is agreeing it was shitty. But you're still up in arms about it. So, is he beyond redemption in your mind? Sell all your Deafheaven shit because this guy said something a while ago that is hurtful to someone? I'm not sure what your end goal here is. Are you just spreading awareness that people shouldn't use homophobic slurs? I think the people that know that, already know that, and the people that don't will just never learn. It's 2015.

There have been plenty of people suggesting they believe the word is completely okay to use.

Three years ago isn't that long ago. It's not like he's 18 at present and was just a kid at the time. He wrote those tweets as an adult, and if an adult is thoughtless enough to think that kind of attitude is okay then he fully deserves any backlash that comes along with it.

If the guy truly wants to redeem himself maybe he should undertake some accountability processes and then spend some time away from the band to volunteer at a homeless LGBT youth shelter or something along those lines.

I don't think anyone is actually no longer into this band and selling their Deafheaven shit, at this point.  The reason people are still "arguing" about this is because people such as you, for example, are arguing that it's ridiculous that some people are offended by the word because it's 2015 and that we "give it power" by being offended.

I feel that most people are waiting, at this point, to see the band / and or guitarists response.

I love every Neige related project and just a splash of BM screeching is alright by me. Much more and I'm getting distracted unless the music kills.

I want my MTV...

"See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup

Yeah buddy that's his own hair

That little faggot got his own jet airplane

That little faggot he's a millionaire"

Money for nothing and your chicks for free...