Deafheaven - New Bermuda

Knew I should have quoted it! The post gets deleted and no one gets to see what kind of person Satan actually is, that's chill.

Back to Deafheaven...

Oh fuck you. And you too Derek. None of you know me and my relationships, so both of you can go fuck right the fuck off. Clearly, even in context, no one has a sense of dry humor.

Oh fuck you. And you too Derek. None of you know me and my relationships, so both of you can go fuck right the fuck off. Clearly, even in context, no one has a sense of dry humor.

You don't know my sense of humor, either. Thanks.

I was merely commenting on your temper tantrums that you sweep under the rug on account of browsing VC "while buzzed", the countless edits you make, and half the shit Juan lets slide when he babysits your loose-cannon posts. You should try manning up and assuming responsibility for your caps-lock tirades and offensive posts, sometime. It's a lot more liberating than backpedaling or letting someone else clean up your mess.

[edit]

Pretty impressive score. I'm eager to see how it fares with other media outlets.

Context: "'Faggot' is a demeaning word and shouldn't be used because a lot of people suffer because of it"

"I agree with you, no one should ever say it. But,  let's talk about it's use in THIS case specifically"  

*Civil Conversation Ensues*

Satan: "lol you are all a bunch of faggots!!!!"

*Satan deletes post, then says no one understands humor*

______

________

There is humor in that? 

This started out as a civilized conversation about the word.  It took a turn for the worse, especially with that one post.  Why don't we just get back on topic so we have somewhere to talk about this record, because you know Juan is going to come in here and lock it.

We did :)

Honestly, Satan came back in here to defend his awful post. Thread shouldn't be locked and punish us.

I deleted Satan's post. I guess my attempt to get this shit back on track and not lock it up was completely futile.

29DE7B99-A54B-477B-B751-5618FDEE2CE8.gif

I've got nothing to say about the particular discussion over the last few pages, and would prefer to focus on the album itself - especially since proper leaks are afloat - and the new reviews that should be rolling in soon.

alcest is good but i don't think they sound too much like deafheaven

i would actually say that the band that most sounds like sunbather era deafheaven while also predating the sound is a screamo outfit called Cease Upon the Capitol. their last release, untitled, was the first thing i thought of when I listened to sunbather. a rarely mentioned but sweet band. 

those tweets are disappointing but not exactly shocking. i think it's funny that whoever wrote the article tried to add significance to it by playing the angle of spreading awareness with "why are we bringing it up" when it's pretty obvious to most people, i'd like to think, that drudging up four year old tweets like these are exactly the sort of inflammatory social justice agendas that internet publications love to use to whip people up into a frenzy. 

it's an ugly word and certainly reprehensible but in no way anywhere near as big a deal as some people are going to make it out to be. IMO the bigger issue at hand is that he admits to liking Rancid. 

Not to derail the thread and talk about music, but over the last few weeks I've been told multiple times that I should be listening to Alcest if I like Deafheaven, and that they did the whole shoegaze black metal thing long before. I skimmed through their last album and it seemed pretty weak, no real comparison that I could hear. Is there anything specific I should check out from Alcest if I'm into Sunbather and New Bermuda?

Plus they (Alcest) are playing here in a few days and my buddies are opening, I didn't feel like paying the cover for what I heard and was going to skip it. Are they worth seeing?

I fucking LOVE Alcest. "Shelter" is my favorite album, that thing is fucking sick. It's less black metal and more shoegaze, but I fucking love that thing.

Their older records are great too, but the pop melodies mixed with the distortion and shoegaze guitar work on "Shelter" just blow me away.

Definitely go see them. ALWAYS go see music.

Yeah, Alcest doesn't really sound like Deafheaven, even in their earlier stuff, but I'd still recommend them to anyone who likes Deafheaven. Les Voyages de l'Âme was the first album I heard by them and they're all really nice. I think the only reason Shelter gets hate is because there's basically no metal influence.

Also: It's been some more time since I listened to New Bermuda. I still am more fond of it than Sunbather. There are still more parts of Sunbather ingrained in my mind, such as the refrain of the title track, the slow part of Dream House, the entire Irresistible track, etc., but New Bermuda just sounds more creative to me. I'm sure that as time goes on select moments of New Bermuda with affect me the way Sunbather has. And maybe it won't; maybe Sunbather will always have a higher precedence in my mind, but that doesn't stop me from thinking that New Bermuda is a better musical effort and it's really cool to see them take this direction.

Yeah, Alcest doesn't really sound like Deafheaven, even in their earlier stuff, but I'd still recommend them to anyone who likes Deafheaven. Les Voyages de l'Âme was the first album I heard by them and they're all really nice. I think the only reason Shelter gets hate is because there's basically no metal influence.

Also: It's been some more time since I listened to New Bermuda. I still am more fond of it than Sunbather. There are still more parts of Sunbather ingrained in my mind, such as the refrain of the title track, the slow part of Dream House, the entire Irresistible track, etc., but New Bermuda just sounds more creative to me. I'm sure that as time goes on select moments of New Bermuda with affect me the way Sunbather has. And maybe it won't; maybe Sunbather will always have a higher precedence in my mind, but that doesn't stop me from thinking that New Bermuda is a better musical effort and it's really cool to see them take this direction.

Wolves in the Throne Room for people who dig Deafheaven.