What video games have you been playing?

I looked this game up and looks/sounds an awful lot like The Long Dark.  I actually thought they were the same game at first.  I hear The Long Dark is good.  Haven't heard much about The Forest though.

I've never heard of The Long Dark.  It looks a little more stylized and lo-fi.  Despite that it looks pretty cool, though I don't think it's much of a survival-horror as it is just a survival game.  The Forest is sometimes fucking terrifying!

8 bucks if you just get the pack that's out now, and 12 if you get the bundle. Next set of tracks is out in February, I believe. It's totally worth it for the F-Zero track alone, but they're all really neat!

I doubled down, screw it. Playing online is funny, everyone is Link in that damn new blue cart.

I am in need of some thoughts/input. I am mulling over purchasing a PS4 and as of next week I can either get a bundle with GTA 5 or Far Cry 4. Now I don't really know which one to go for.

I have not owned a console in almost 4 years, and the last GTA I played was GTA 4. I enjoyed it, but as I am more of a storyline/building a character kind of guy, I never touched it again after finishing the main story. Is GTA 5 more of the same, or way better?

I have never played any version of Far Cry, but I have a soft spot for RPG elements, so this might fit more than GTA, right?

Also, which one of both games should be more of a blast playing online?

Thanks.

I am in need of some thoughts/input. I am mulling over purchasing a PS4 and as of next week I can either get a bundle with GTA 5 or Far Cry 4. Now I don't really know which one to go for.

I have not owned a console in almost 4 years, and the last GTA I played was GTA 4. I enjoyed it, but as I am more of a storyline/building a character kind of guy, I never touched it again after finishing the main story. Is GTA 5 more of the same, or way better?

I have never played any version of Far Cry, but I have a soft spot for RPG elements, so this might fit more than GTA, right?

Thanks.

GTA V has the best GTA story mode besides San Andreas.

Thanks.

I vouch for GTA.

Suggestion:  You may want to look into getting a PS3 instead of a PS4. I own both consoles, and while the PS4 is the superior console spec wise, the PS3 is currently the better system IMO. The PS3 is more established, it has many more titles, and cheaper games. It will save you money, and it will give you an experience just as good, if not better, for a fraction of the cost. The graphics of the PS4 doesn't justify the price increase at this point. Further, Sony said they will continue to support the PS3 for at least a few more years because of how well the games sell, so it won't be obsolete anytime soon. And by the time it is obsolete, the PS4 should be a cheap purchase

Now, that is not saying the PS4 won't catch up to the PS3 in those regards, because it will, but for now the PS3 is the way to go.

Thank me later. ;)

Thanks.

Far Cry 4 is a brand new title. Meaning it would run you $70-$80 Whereas GTA V is pretty old at this point and can probably be picked up for $20 new, easily.

FC4 allows you to invite up to 10 friends who don't even own the game to play online with you on PlayStation.  Between the two choices presented, I would choose Far Cry, although I'm not really into either.

Far Cry 4 is a brand new title. Meaning it would run you $70-$80 Whereas GTA V is pretty old at this point and can probably be picked up for $20 new, easily.

FC4 allows you to invite up to 10 friends who don't even own the game to play online with you on PlayStation. Between the two choices presented, I would choose Far Cry, although I'm not really into either.

Next Gen GTA V juuust came out.

Next Gen GTA V juuust came out.

Oh true. Still though, I'd go Far Cry either way.  Seems like OP would be more into Far Cry from what they said. Also FC4 is built for next gen and downgraded for last gen whereas the time gap for GTA V seems more like it would be more of a last gen game that's getting up-rez'd and re-released.  Also in terms of online... 10 friends play w/o owning the game?  That's a slick deal.  As for GTA V, lots of people probably already beat it/played online and traded it in on last gen by now, won't buy it or play it again so I would say the online community for FC4 might have more draw for both those reasons.

Personally, I am playing Demon's Souls.  It cost me $20 brand new.  Came out nearly 5 whole years ago now, and I am still getting picked up by people online.

FC4 allows you to invite up to 10 friends who don't even own the game to play online with you on PlayStation. Between the two choices presented, I would choose Far Cry, although I'm not really into either.

$70-$80? Where do you buy games?

I recommend the PS4 and go with GTAV. Far Cry 4 will be solid though.

$70-$80? Where do you buy games?

I recommend the PS4 and go with GTAV. Far Cry 4 will be solid though.

That's the new standard price.

Used to be $59.99 for PS3 but the price got bumped up by $10 for the PS4 generation.  Games are typically $69.99 now. That's before shipping or taxes and since you usually end up paying 1 or the other it's $80 (Canadian) by the time the game gets to your door.

Here: http://www.amazon.ca/Ubisoft-UBP30500960-Far-Cry-Limited/dp/B00KCVG9KM/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416196829&sr=8-1&keywords=far+cry+4

How much are new releases for you?  Does $70 or $80 really sound that odd that it's something to point out?  I've been paying $67 for every day-1 non-budget title for years.  (Unless there is an LE or CE I want I usually wait for a price drop to get it between $20 and $50.) Since new titles are all $10 more now, that brings the total closer to $80 than $70, so yes $70-$80 canadian is a very accurate estimate of how much games cost.  Shit, cartridges were even more expensive I remember new releases always being closer to $100 and that was 20 years ago.

Oh true. Still though, I'd go Far Cry either way. Seems like OP would be more into Far Cry from what they said. Also FC4 is built for next gen and downgraded for last gen whereas the time gap for GTA V seems more like it would be more of a last gen game that's getting up-rez'd and re-released. Also in terms of online... 10 friends play w/o owning the game? That's a slick deal. As for GTA V, lots of people probably already beat it/played online and traded it in on last gen by now, won't buy it or play it again so I would say the online community for FC4 might have more draw for both those reasons.

Personally, I am playing Demon's Souls. It cost me $20 brand new. Came out nearly 5 whole years ago now, and I am still getting picked up by people online.

GTA V definitely isn't just up rezd, I'm mobile or I'd link the list of stuff. I'd say the graphics are basically on par with each other depending how big FC4 is.

Also if past games are any indication FC4 will be dead within 6 months while GTA V will always have people playing.

Your Demons Souls choice is still the best choice though

Used to be $59.99 for PS3 but the price got bumped up by $10 for the PS4 generation. Games are typically $69.99 now. That's before shipping or taxes and since you usually end up paying 1 or the other it's $80 (Canadian) by the time the game gets to your door.

Here: http://www.amazon.ca/Ubisoft-UBP30500960-Far-Cry-Limited/dp/B00KCVG9KM/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416196829&sr=8-1&keywords=far+cry+4

How much are new releases for you? Does $70 or $80 really sound that odd that it's something to point out? I've been paying $67 for every day-1 non-budget title for years. (Unless there is an LE or CE I want I usually wait for a price drop to get it between $20 and $50.) Since new titles are all $10 more now, that brings the total closer to $80 than $70, so yes $70-$80 canadian is a very accurate estimate of how much games cost. Shit, cartridges were even more expensive I remember new releases always being closer to $100 and that was 20 years ago.

Here in the states it was $50 during the PS2 gen and $60 ever since. Im thinking he didn't know you were in Canada

Here in the states it was $50 during the PS2 gen and $60 ever since. Im thinking he didn't know you were in Canada

Yeah things are weird too since the USD and CAD aren't on par anymore.  Back in the day CAD was always lower, then it was on par for so long, everyone got used to it.  It's just so much easier not having to account for exchange.  Now that everyone's gotten used to it, it's no longer at par anymore.

Whether I order from within Canada, or get something shipping from the USA, I'm either getting nailed with exchange and shipping, or taxes, so either way games end up being pretty much $80.  When the dollar was at par it was $67 for a new game every time. $59.99 plus tax, free shipping option. $70 without fail... ordering from the US was practically the same only you'd be paying $10 in shipping instead of the taxes and it would take longer.  But sometimes they'd have the LE or CE pre orders or whatever.

Either way it doesn't seem that absurd to me to say that it costs $70 USD (or $80 CAD) for a new game today, when all is said and done.  Likely I said before, personally I tend not to buy on day 1 to avoid the $70 price tags and prefer to get them new for closer to half of that cost, good pre-order incentives being the occasional exception.

Thanks for all the input guys. Picking up a PS3 crossed my mind, mostly because I really want to try out Demons/ Dark Souls, but a new PS3 without any games still costs more than half the cost of a new PS4 with a game. And people selling their used PS3s over here are still asking for the moon for them, unfortunately.

Why couldn't Sony just make the PS4 backwards compatible? I would have pulled the trigger no questions asked.

Used to be $59.99 for PS3 but the price got bumped up by $10 for the PS4 generation. Games are typically $69.99 now. That's before shipping or taxes and since you usually end up paying 1 or the other it's $80 (Canadian) by the time the game gets to your door.

Here: http://www.amazon.ca/Ubisoft-UBP30500960-Far-Cry-Limited/dp/B00KCVG9KM/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416196829&sr=8-1&keywords=far+cry+4

How much are new releases for you? Does $70 or $80 really sound that odd that it's something to point out? I've been paying $67 for every day-1 non-budget title for years. (Unless there is an LE or CE I want I usually wait for a price drop to get it between $20 and $50.) Since new titles are all $10 more now, that brings the total closer to $80 than $70, so yes $70-$80 canadian is a very accurate estimate of how much games cost. Shit, cartridges were even more expensive I remember new releases always being closer to $100 and that was 20 years ago.

I'm mobile so I didn't know you were in Canada.

Damn. I still pay $65 (tax included) in the US. That's for PS4. PS3 games have dropped $10-$20 for new releases.

I'm mobile so I didn't know you were in Canada.

Damn. I still pay $65 (tax included) in the US. That's for PS4. PS3 games have dropped $10-$20 for new releases.

CAD is weaker though, so there's still a little bit of wiggle room.  $80 CAD is $70 USD right now.

Thanks for all the input guys. Picking up a PS3 crossed my mind, mostly because I really want to try out Demons/ Dark Souls, but a new PS3 without any games still costs more than half the cost of a new PS4 with a game. And people selling their used PS3s over here are still asking for the moon for them, unfortunately.

Why couldn't Sony just make the PS4 backwards compatible? I would have pulled the trigger no questions asked.

Souls games are tough as nails!  I played them in reverse order.  Tried Demon's way back.  Played 2 to completion multiple times, and all 3 DLCs once each (in a row).  Then I played Dark 1, I'm mid-way through the DLC but haven't finished the main game or DLC yet.  Now I'm giving Demon's a go.  All 3 are great games, but seriously tough as nails.  I would say 2 is easiest, but I also know it the best and being most recent has the most finely tuned roll and I am, or was, a big roller.  Going back to Dark 1 and Demon's made me have to learn how to wield a shield for some good ole fashioned slab-n-stab.  Playing in reverse order is kinda weird I guess, but I've thoroughly enjoyed all 3 games and all the DLC for Dark 1 and 2.  But it seems like better training to start at Demon's and learn how to block and manage stamina.  The roll in Dark 1 felt so weird after playing 2 first, but I eventually got used to it.