sublime 40 oz to freedom repress

Sweet! I hope that means it's cheaper than $30...

Interesting that that MVD one has the Skunk cassette track listing.

Interesting... I have a FLAC of the skunk release... which blows my 2011 pressing out of the water for dynamics... would really like to hear a better copy with all the skunk tracks/versions that were removed for the wide release.

Lets get one thing straight, there needs to be proper vinyl pressing of a few of Sublime's catalogue.

For Stand By Your Van, all we have is the terrible Erika picture disc pressing, which does not contain the full album.

For Second Hand Smoke, again...all we have is the terrible Erika picture disc pressing, which does not contain the full album.

And lastly, Everything Under The Sun has never been pressed on vinyl, so hopefully they will get a proper vinyl box set release at some point, because that contains some pretty great tunes on that compilation.

As for the new pressing through MVD, I'm grabbing it while I can.  I can't wait to see what Hot Topic does with their version and you know that I'll get a copy of that pressing when it is available, but I've been waiting patiently for far too long to pass this up today!  At $22.49 for a pre-order, I'd say that is legit.  Way better than paying $100 for a previous pressing on Ebay!

A couple of remarks:

- I think rather than pressing the posthumous releases (post Self-titled) on vinyl, I think they should re-compile the songs and THEN release them. It's honestly a mess of songs among Second Hand Smoke, the Acoustic album, the self-titled deluxe edition, and Everything Under The Sun. A little scary that an entire 8 years passed between the release of the Acoustic album and Everything Under The Sun. Some politics were involved in that, but still. The fact that there was so much material that didn't see the light of day for such a long time, it's just crazy. It's part of the reason why I think they should start fresh with new compilations for everything that was released after Self-Titled.

- Adding on to the last point, you can easily make a compilation of the best of Sublime's early recordings prior to the release of 40 Oz. To Freedom. Most of these songs would come from Second Hand Smoke and Everything Under The Sun. The band practically had an entire album of material prior to 40 Oz.

01. Roots of Creation (EUTS)

02. Perfect World (EUTS)

03. Romeo (SHS)

04. Chick On My Tip (SHS)

05. New Realization (SHS)

06. Ebin (EUTS)

07. Date Rape (EUTS)

08. Ball and Chain (EUTS)

09. Slow Ride (SHS)

10. Had A Dat (SHS)

11. Don't Push (SHS)

12. Trenchtown Rock (SHS)

13. Johnny Too Bad (EUTS)

14. Smoke Two Joints (EUTS)

Basically, you can make a playlist out of those 14 songs I listed and make the pre-cursor to 40 Oz.

- It's surprising to me how good "Stand By Your Van" sounds compared to the "3 Ring Circus: Live at the Palace". Someone botched the audio on the 3 Ring Circus release because there should be no reason why Caress Me Down on Stand By Your Van actually sounds a lot better than on 3 Ring Circus. The bass on 3 Ring Circus sounds terrible, and it wasn't because of Eric's playing. If his tone sounded fine on Caress Me Down on Stand By Your Van, then how could they not get it ride on 3 Ring Circus when it's the same show. Obviously the rest of Stand By Your Van was from different shows, so that's why I bring up Caress Me Down.

A couple of remarks:

- I think rather than pressing the posthumous releases (post Self-titled) on vinyl, I think they should re-compile the songs and THEN release them. It's honestly a mess of songs among Second Hand Smoke, the Acoustic album, the self-titled deluxe edition, and Everything Under The Sun. A little scary that an entire 8 years passed between the release of the Acoustic album and Everything Under The Sun. Some politics were involved in that, but still. The fact that there was so much material that didn't see the light of day for such a long time, it's just crazy. It's part of the reason why I think they should start fresh with new compilations for everything that was released after Self-Titled.

- Adding on to the last point, you can easily make a compilation of the best of Sublime's early recordings prior to the release of 40 Oz. To Freedom. Most of these songs would come from Second Hand Smoke and Everything Under The Sun. The band practically had an entire album of material prior to 40 Oz.

- It's surprising to me how good "Stand By Your Van" sounds compared to the "3 Ring Circus: Live at the Palace". Someone botched the audio on the 3 Ring Circus release because there should be no reason why Caress Me Down on Stand By Your Van actually sounds a lot better than on 3 Ring Circus. The bass on 3 Ring Circus sounds terrible, and it wasn't because of Eric's playing. If his tone sounded fine on Caress Me Down on Stand By Your Van, then how could they not get it ride on 3 Ring Circus when it's the same show. Obviously the rest of Stand By Your Van was from different shows, so that's why I bring up Caress Me Down.

Good points all around. It'd be great to have somebody - someone close to the band, I mean, someone knowledgeable about this - sit down and really put this music together the way it was meant to be heard, or as close to that as possible. Lord knows there are enough Sublime fans in the world to enjoy it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally getting the repress of 40 Oz and Robbin the Hood in motion. Took a little longer than expected but I'm hoping to have both out in the Spring sometime. Obviously I will make a thread for those releases once we get a bit closer to them actually coming out. I have no other info to give out for now.

Anybody know if this is still going on?  I never received a copy and when I went to MVD's website, they are not listing this anymore.

Pretty sure I preordered this thru www.seeofsound.com. (The email confirmation is confusing to say the least.) Tried calling the number provided in the email (pretty sure it was MVD's line) to see what's up, but customer service was already closed. I'll try to remember to call again Monday and report back.