Shit on bands here

You pretty much nailed it.  While he is a great producer i'd like him much more if he went back to just that.

He might be putting up a huge front of his narcissism but I rarely see him in a picture looking happy so if this is his tactic it would be impossible for it not to invade his personal life at some point. I'm not a huge fan of Charlamne but he put Ye on blast on that hot 97 interview. Ye could barley even make eye contact .Later on down the road he has another one of these rants calling Charlamane  a bitch,ect on stage. Dude you had your chance he was ripping your ass apart and you just sat and took it. I know he has the potential and I could even accept his personality a little more if he actually talked about something in his lyrics like he used to. I feel like he partially get's a pass because a lot of his fans weren't into hip hop before him and see him as innovative ,he's all kitsch. Ask almost any  real hip hop head their opinion on him and it's almost always dismissive and negative. 

Kanye did produce this jam:

That was pretty good. But you have to ask yourself: What does Kanye rap about? Even if he does write his own music and lyrics, and I don't think he does, it's still incessant bullshit - maybe it wasn't always that way, but that's what it is now. "Get By" was a cool song from an artist I've never heard of, and I think I can partially attribute that to Kanye and all of the other "big" rappers right now - Drake, Lil Wayne (who may actually be retarded), etc. It's like they've created a bottleneck in the industry by which their shit gets pushed out to the public and anything good just sits around waiting for somebody else to find it. That's not necessarily bad - I'm not opposed to digging around for good music, but what they do is essentially bogarting the image of modern hip-hop, if that makes any sense.

I don't even like hip-hop that much. I like NWA and Wu-Tang, which is maybe why "Get By" appealed to me.

You pretty much nailed it.  While he is a great producer i'd like him much more if he went back to just that.

He might be putting up a huge front of his narcissism but I rarely see him in a picture looking happy so if this is his tactic it would be impossible for it not to invade his personal life at some point. I'm not a huge fan of Charlamne but he put Ye on blast on that hot 97 interview. Ye could barley even make eye contact .Later on down the road he has another one of these rants calling Charlamane  a bitch,ect on stage. Dude you had your chance he was ripping your ass apart and you just sat and took it. I know he has the potential and I could even accept his personality a little more if he actually talked about something in his lyrics like he used to. I feel like he partially get's a pass because a lot of his fans weren't into hip hop before him and see him as innovative ,he's all kitsch. Ask almost any  real hip hop head their opinion on him and it's almost always dismissive and negative. 

Thanks dude (if this was directed at me). It's good to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

You've never listened to a full album, yet you call his lyrical content incessant bullshit?

His lyrics cover everything that every rapper/artist writes about. Family, childhood, one's up-bringing. Several songs/tracks about HOW he made it- and how much he appreciates what jay z did to get him where he is.

He wrote an entire breakup album- something that doesn't happen in the rap game.

He raps about swimmin in women and money, because of course he does.

He lets his knowledge of fashion bleed all over his work.

And then he boasts that it's hard to be humble when you stuntin' on a jumbo tron.

But you have to ask yourself: What does Kanye rap about?

you wouldn't have to ask yourself that if you would just give one of his records a listen. seriously, give college dropout/late registration/graduation a chance. that stuff speaks for itself.

you guys mention how his stuff is incessant bullshit, and while yeezus may come off that way, a LOT of kanye's other work is personal. dude was the first one in the popular rap game at that time to rap about something other than typical thug shit. he writes about a ton of actual, real things. in a time where the popular shit was stuff like 50 Cent, he was rapping about his insecurities and his family and he would put himself on blast ("we're all self conscious, I'm just the first to admit it") obviously making music about your feelings isn't supposed to be a big deal, but when kanye came up and started doing this it changed a lot of things and probably gave way to a lot of the better rap music being made today like G.K.M.C.

tldr it's cool if you dislike him but don't dismiss his entire library of work as bullshit if you haven't listened to it and are just basing it off of his recent persona

dude was the first one in the popular rap game at that time to rap about something other than typical thug shit.

That's why I don't mind Kanye. I hate all the rappers that just rap about the same god damn shit all the time. Money, women, sex, other rappers, it's fucking stupid.

Why do 90% of rappers not have interesting subject matter? The few that do that and rap well are the best.

Fucking Shad 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jhn3X8gGEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-q0YX0uPQs

or Fucking K-os

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk7xsCU8y0Y

And below? This is worthless crap

Drake - Worst  Behavior

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CccnAvfLPvE

Jay-Z - Tom Ford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkgekVh7oKI

The subject matter puts me to fucking sleep. 

God damn I hate most of the popular rappers. Kanye I don't hate but don't love. He's got something to say in most of his music so I respect that.

*deep breath* [/rant]

you wouldn't have to ask yourself that if you would just give one of his records a listen. seriously, give college dropout/late registration/graduation a chance. that stuff speaks for itself.

you guys mention how his stuff is incessant bullshit, and while yeezus may come off that way, a LOT of kanye's other work is personal. dude was the first one in the popular rap game at that time to rap about something other than typical thug shit. he writes about a ton of actual, real things. in a time where the popular shit was stuff like 50 Cent, he was rapping about his insecurities and his family and he would put himself on blast ("we're all self conscious, I'm just the first to admit it") obviously making music about your feelings isn't supposed to be a big deal, but when kanye came up and started doing this it changed a lot of things and probably gave way to a lot of the better rap music being made today like G.K.M.C.

tldr it's cool if you dislike him but don't dismiss his entire library of work as bullshit if you haven't listened to it and are just basing it off of his recent persona

He might have brought something marginally new to music but you can't point at 50 cent and "look at how he changed rap". Rap has been popular (mostly speaking about the young whites...the majority in America) since the early 90s, with all it's current incarnations (thug stuff, party songs, underground/indie type stuff, etc).

Just trying to put that in context and not really comment on the quality of his music -- there's been shitty rap and good rap for 20 years before Kanye West became popular.

That's why I don't mind Kanye. I hate all the rappers that just rap about the same god damn shit all the time. Money, women, sex, other rappers, it's fucking stupid.

Why do 90% of rappers not have interesting subject matter? The few that do that and rap well are the best.

This isn't directed at you guys specifically, but I'm tired of people giving rappers a pass just because they don't rap about "thug" shit. I have too many friends who throw that at me instead of actually explaining how his music is well written. I don't give a shit about his lyrics at all or who he is as a person. Hell, the dude could be the nicest person ever and I would still be annoyed. That goes for most other rappers I hear praise about and not really just about Kanye.

I'm aware that he probably does write decent stuff (not my cup of tea though) but I'd like to hear some other reasoning when it comes to rap.

Most of the indie rappers have the same theme in every song too -- the struggle against poverty and trying to get out of the ghetto.

It's a more intelligent, important, difficult subject than women/money/guns/drugs, but it's not like the group as a whole is really exploring a ton of new subjects (I know there are individuals who don't fit in to my simplistic painting of a musical genre...don't have to call them out).

He might have brought something marginally new to music but you can't point at 50 cent and "look at how he changed rap". Rap has been popular (mostly speaking about the young whites...the majority in America) since the early 90s, with all it's current incarnations (thug stuff, party songs, underground/indie type stuff, etc).

Just trying to put that in context and not really comment on the quality of his music -- there's been shitty rap and good rap for 20 years before Kanye West became popular.

of course! when it comes to rap/hip hop I may not be the most knowledgable by any means but I've got a lot of love for a lot of older 90's stuff.

I guess I was just trying to say that at the time, what he was doing was out of the norm compared to other stuff that was circulating at the time. what he brought was something fresh and different, and the subject matter he rapped about, while of course it had been done before, was important for the time it came out.

• 3 weeks later...

No.

I'll take every shitty rock and indie band over Nicki Minaj, every day.

To each his own, but I reckon Nicki Minaj is about a billion percent more entertaining than Bastille, Passenger or fucking Mumford and Sons. Her videos are so obnoxious and garish, and her songs are aurally violent... much more punk than a lot of punk.

imo