HUM - You'd Prefer An Astronaut LP from SRC All Pressings Discussion

jhulud

VC: literal about the use of the word "rape" but ignores the mile of facts preceding it.

My point was that if everyone continues to just buy buy buy at extreme prices, they will just keep going up.

In retail, when an item doesn't sell, people discount them to get rid of the product. If it sells quickly at a certain price, the next obvious move is to push the envelope to see how high they can get that price before people finally say "Whoa! That is crazy!"

Labels like No Idea (and many many others also) sell at a normal markup. This is gouging.

You shouldn't be okay with it!

It sucks that labels overprice vinyl. It sucks that consumers willingly pay for overpriced vinyl. Most of us (if not all) are guilty of paying a premium from time to time. It's obvious that some labels use this knowledge to their advantage.

I understand people willing to pay a little more because of how bad they want/emotional attachment to a record and the whole "guilty buy" scenario. I get that a lot of people would rather have a costly repress available than no repress at all. But I don't understand why any sane vinyl buyer (and the majority of posts as it seems) would argue in favor of an obvious price upcharge?

And an age old VC discussion continues on its redundant path... sorry guys.

VC: literal about the use of the word "rape" but ignores the mile of facts preceding it.

My point was that if everyone continues to just buy buy buy at extreme prices, they will just keep going up.

In retail, when an item doesn't sell, people discount them to get rid of the product. If it sells quickly at a certain price, the next obvious move is to push the envelope to see how high they can get that price before people finally say "Whoa! That is crazy!"

Labels like No Idea (and many many others also) sell at a normal markup. This is gouging.

I am totally fine paying 22 bucks for a record I want

Just like people are ok paying 100 bucks for a pair of Nikes made in a sweat shop

Just because you dont like the price doesnt mean its wrong. You always have the option not to buy it. The world isnt a giant non profit organization

so, i am to understand that i'm being "raped" everytime I buy a record that isn't sold at a minimal mark up?

i guess the only safe, non rapey place to buy records is No Idea.  from now on if I spend more than 10 bucks on a record i'll be sure to wear my rape whistle.  

record buying is hard on the olde pooper.

Are you hinting that we need to make custom Vinyl Collective Rape Whistles?

far from an SRC apologist (the subscription :rolleyes: ), but lets just say for example's sake that all of your numbers are correct. well, if someone is sinking $12,000+ into reissuing a record that is 18 years old - i cant really fault them for wanting to make some $$$ for their effort. youre also forgetting to compensate for whatever overhead (office, employee(s), utilities and so forth) that they may have.

now lets take a neurosis 2xlp that is $40 plus shipping or a $40 mineral record because its on blue and limited to 50. nooow we can talk about suspected price gouging. ive got a limit like everyone else and $21.99 does push close to that threshhold but, in fairness, its not nearly as egregious as some other releases ive seen lately.

lol at you for including "shipping costs" in your list of things that the regular price covers. Isn't that what shipping charges are for? This was not $21.99ppd. I'm also not pretending that this is the most ridiculously priced LP ever. Just sayin'.

No, I was refering to the cost of shipping bulk records from the manufacturer to the distributor. I know its not a boat load of money, but its just another added cost to the process.

Oh, and you said vinylz. Kindly fuck off.

vinyl

Oh no! Say it aint so.....am I guilty of a typo? Shit! I cant believe that I accidentally put an "s" on the end of the word "vinyl",

I'll be sure to "Fuck off" because this MASSIVE mistake I made.

I'm well aware that the plural for vinyl is in fact vinyl. I sincerely apologize for being such a fucking moron.

Unfortunately, I still havent got a masters degree in message board tying.

There seems to be some misguided notions on the costs of pressing records in this thread.

Let's round UP a bunch of numbers:

Mastering/Lacquers from Lucky: $400

Pressing of 1250 records via Rainbo (across 3 colors): $2627 (this number also assumes 180g for all three colorways, FYI)

2000 gatefold jackets with spot gloss: $3500

Shipping from the plant: probably about $600-700

Poly sleeves: $262 (2000 3 mil) and $135 for 500 4 mil sleeves

Grand total: $7624 or $6.10 per record

Now, let's assume that the label charged them $5000 (which is totally insane) for licensing rights.

$12,624 or $10.10 per record

This includes both colors and the sub color also. They will make $27,487 for just this release - a profit of no less than $10K.

You guys are being raped by this project, and the fact that you're 100% cool with it is very alarming.

Does the hourly wage paid to all employees who worked on this reissue not factor into the cost of doing business anymore?

And since when did a profit of $10K become so astronomical?

So when did this project go into motion. Sometime in October? So from October to March its about 5 months. A $10K profit( subtract employee wages) over 5 months of working on this reissue does not cry "rape" at all.

I guess owning a business and trying to turn a profit is no longer the American way. The new business model is Break Even and nothing more.

And it just so happens that this reissue is selling really well. But what about all the other slower selling records that sit around for months or years. What if SRC only sold 500 copies? Then they have to sit and wait to turn a profit as they hope the rest sell over time.

I know this argument is just going around in circles but I'm willing to bet that nobody here would be willing to invest $10-$15K on a project if they only had the potential to make $1-$5K profit. I think $10K is a very reasonable profit margin for a company who put up $12+K upfront on top of whatever it cost to employ people to complete this project. Remember, these weren't sold prior to production. So this release could've been a flop and SRC would be sitting on a pile of records.

Now as requested earlier..... I am going to kindly fuck off.

The product has to be shipped from the plant. That costs a lot because vinyl weighs a frickin' fuckton.

I just grabbed 10 records and put them on a digital scale. They weighed just over 7 lbs.

So shipping 1250 records would be around 900lbs.

It might not cost a million bucks to ship 900 lbs of product, but its added cost to this process. I wasnt insinuating that shipping the records would cost thousands of dollars. My point was that there are so many little things that end up chipping away from profit.

Now for sure, I will kindly fuck off.

Remember, these weren't sold prior to production. So this release could've been a flop and SRC would be sitting on a pile of records.

Now as requested earlier..... I am going to kindly fuck off.

This is my last piece before I now out of this thread forever:

These are 100% being sold before production. That's why they aren't available until March. At this point, they probably aren't much past the mastering process.

Additionally, there shouldn't be any need to pay a multitude of employees at SRC to work on this one release. 10 minutes to fill out the Lucky form, a 20 minute phone call to any pressing plant, and maybe a few hours of resizing the artwork for a gatefold release.

Business models don't typically include a 100% profit out of the gate. If that were typical, we wouldn't see a recession. Every business would make 10K profit in one day and every employee would get pay raises weekly! Nope - doesn't happen ever.

You have been taken advantage of (again, not a sexual reference). If you're cool with it, I am too. Just thought you might give a shit - I should've known better.