are you and I the same? wait, wait wait wait, it's too much

1620122.jpg

I'm only an hour from where I grew up. It still feels entirely too close. They can still see me <_<

Sometimes an hour distance is all you need.

I successfully transplanted 8 hours away and hope to go even further in the future. I've been a bit of a pied piper to my friends, beckoning them out of the hellhole of our hometown behind me. Since I moved, five have followed me.

I've honesty been contemplating moving there or Seattle once I graduate. But my biggest fear is not finding employment and having to move back to my hometown.

I'd say visit both.  You'll get the PNW feel in either city, but they're fairly different.  For me, Seattle has more of a big city feel to it.  That keeps becoming stronger too.  I don't know what cost of living is in Portland, but I'm guessing it's less expensive there.  Rent is going up like crazy here (thanks Amazon!).  I guess it also depends on what you're going to school for.  If it's an IT related thing, you might have a lot more job opportunities here.

I'd say visit both. You'll get the PNW feel in either city, but they're fairly different. For me, Seattle has more of a big city feel to it. That keeps becoming stronger too. I don't know what cost of living is in Portland, but I'm guessing it's less expensive there. Rent is going up like crazy here (thanks Amazon!). I guess it also depends on what you're going to school for. If it's an IT related thing, you might have a lot more job opportunities here.

I've visited Portland plenty of times since I know a few people up there, but I've only been to Seattle once. Usually the tourist thing is seen through rose-colored glasses since you don't get a full taste of the reality of the city. It takes a while to set in that no city is what it seems at first glance.

That's how it was with San Francisco with me. Every time I visited, I fell in love all over again, but once the novelty wore off I saw it more realistically and realized that it's crowded, expensive, and tough to find adequate employment. Then again, I still love the place in spite of those flaws.

What really draws me to PDX is the culture there. Every time I visit, there's something new going on. Plus, the women are beautiful.

I've seen Seahaven open for Touche Amore twice and they are so. Fucking. Boring.

To each his own. I wasn't a fan of them at all when I first listened to them, but that last record grew on me after a while. Compared to Touché live, yeah, Seahaven is kinda boring, but they've sounded on point every time I've seen them.

Hey guys!  So this turntable just popped up for sale locally, and for $400 CAD, it looks like a killer deal.  I'm just wondering, for those of you more knowledgable, what are the specific things I should be asking about it, to ensure it's in really good condition.  If I go to take a look at it, what are the types if things I should be looking for/at?

Thanks.

hfdRbw7.png

To each his own. I wasn't a fan of them at all when I first listened to them, but that last record grew on me after a while. Compared to Touché live, yeah, Seahaven is kinda boring, but they've sounded on point every time I've seen them.

I think it's because my first thought was "this sounds like Alkaline Trio" and I don't like Alkaline Trio.

I'm not sure how accurate that is, it was just my first thought.

Hey guys!  So this turntable just popped up for sale locally, and for $400 CAD, it looks like a killer deal.  I'm just wondering, for those of you more knowledgable, what are the specific things I should be asking about it, to ensure it's in really good condition.  If I go to take a look at it, what are the types if things I should be looking for/at?

Thanks.

hfdRbw7.png

Really, the only thing you need to be concerned about is how you go about getting it. I would only just on that if you could do local pick up. Shipping tables is scary. It looks like that is an option, so if you're able to do that, I would jump on it.

That table is wroth $400+ CAD on it's own. That platter is $100 by itself. I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

Really, the only thing you need to be concerned about is how you go about getting it. I would only just on that if you could do local pick up. Shipping tables is scary. It looks like that is an option, so if you're able to do that, I would jump on it.

That table is wroth $400+ CAD on it's own. That platter is $100 by itself. I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I was planning on picking it up from him.  I just realized the red carbon is only $350 on amazon right now though.  The platter is $130 though.  I'd be looking at $480 shipped from Amazon with Prime.  $400 sounds a lot better than $480, but I'm wondering if it is worth it to save $80 for a used one.

EDIT:  That was USD.  

Yeah, I was planning on picking it up from him.  I just realized the red carbon is only $350 on amazon right now though.  The platter is $130 though.  I'd be looking at $480 shipped from Amazon with Prime.  $400 sounds a lot better than $480, but I'm wondering if it is worth it to save $80 for a used one.

Offer $375 cash money and you pick it up. At a savings over $100, solid deal.

I mean the carbon tonearm is definitely a nice upgrade. It's super light and would do your records a whole lot of good...

Honestly the tonearm is a better investment than the platter. The platter helps a little, but the tone arm would benefit you more. The platter just looks badass as hell and helps soak up some vibration.

Offer $375 cash money and you pick it up. At a savings over $100, solid deal.

I mean the carbon tonearm is definitely a nice upgrade. It's super light and would do your records a whole lot of good...

Honestly the tonearm is a better investment than the platter. The platter helps a little, but the tone arm would benefit you more. The platter just looks badass as hell and helps soak up some vibration.

Yeah.  I realized I was accidentally looking at prices from Amazon.com, not .ca.  That setup would cost around $700+ CAD new.  Definitely a good deal.  My buddy actually messaged him immediately, and got dibs on it.  Then my friend messaged me, and said I could have it instead if I wanted, because he shouldn't be spending the money.  I think I'll go for it.  I just wish it wasn't red.  The white and black ones look so good with that acrylic platter.  And would match my room.  But color isn't the end of the world when it comes to a turntable, obviously.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic