Best/Worst Kickstarter Experiences

piaptk

Best: Murder By Death. They offered awesome/unique packages and an exclusive vinyl options. They updated all the time and they delivered the final product when the said they would.

Worst: Old Canes. I love The Appleseed Cast and everything Chris has done, but this really was/is a big disappointment, very insulting to his fan base. 

Best:
Murder By Death

Worst:

Mindless Self Indulgence

Took 9 months to get the record. The shipping info got lost somewhere between the band and the fulfillment company. So, the fulfillment company had no clue that they were supposed to send me a record. I had to email them "evidence" (screen shots) that I had actually kicked in for the record. Oh, by the way, they didn't send any of this info to the people who gave them money. I had to go on to the "Comments" section on the message board to find out that records had even shipped and how to get mine.

Worst: Park Jefferson/Bicycle Sunday split 7"

I was supposed to get some unreleased Bicycle Sunday mp3s, digital tracks of the 7", a Bicycle Sunday CD, a copy of the 7", discography of some older band BS members were in, a note from a band member, a tape of a BS split, my name in the "thanks" section of the 7", and a shirt from both bands.

After months (maybe more than a year?) of getting nothing, multiple messages I left on the label's Facebook (each one mysteriously disappeared), and e-mails that were never replied to, a test press of the 7" showed up in the mail. So that's what I got instead of what I pledged for. Oh well, I don't like either band anymore, regardless of what happened.

Runner-up: Black Churches

I was supposed to get a hand-made edition of their full-length cassette. But I got nothing and no one has responded to any of my e-mails.

multiple messages I left on the label's Facebook (each one mysteriously disappeared)

That's the worst. Even worse than not getting a reply at all, because you know they're seeing it and then actively covering up evidence of how much they suck. I think people would be much more understanding if these bands/artists just came out and admitted they overshot or miscalculated or whatever the case may be.

Got my Misery Signals record in.

Overall it was a mediocre experience. Paying $30 for a record that I could have pre-ordered for $17.99 kinda sucks. The packaging is exactly the same and the record color is just a plain orange as opposed to red. So nothing special there.

Plus it was supposed to come with an autographed card from the band. Mine didn't. I don't care about a signed card but it's a little frustrating paying an extra $12 and get next to nothing in return. It feels like a tax on wanting to support the band.

Overall I would probably do it again but it would have to be a band I really care about.

An acquaintance of mine did a kickstarter to help fund a repair for his tour van and to start recording his new album. He's really talented, an overall awesome person, and had been working hard to fund it all on his own in the beginning but just couldn't make ends meet. I threw in $25 and he went above and beyond! He raised a bit over his goal and actually ended up giving a portion of the extra money to a charity which was really cool. I agree that constant updates are a HUGE part of it, it's nice to know what's going on with the money you backed. In the end, I got everything it came with, plus he sent out wristbands from the charity he donated too. It was rad. 

I couldn't pledge much when The Graduate had a kickstarter but I remember them having a great response and they turned around and showed their fans the same love/respect. 

I've only had one bad experience and it was actually with the band Sparks the Rescue. They sent everyone the CD they produced with the money but absolutely no one was ever sent the 'exclusive t-shirt' the band/fearless records promised. Numerous e-mails have been sent by a lot of people and a year later...nothing. Not a huge loss but still a bummer.

Number One Gun's kickstarter is the only bad one i've had out of 10 so far. They are recording a new album and the kickstarter ended Aug 2012 with an estimated release date for Feb 2013. They didn't finish recording til July 2013, and said they we're going to start shipping out the rewards. August rolls around and then they say that Tooth & Nail is releasing it and that's all we've heard. During the campaign we got two demos and one full song. The lead singer also wrote and released a worship album in march this year, probably with the money from this.

ive pledged for tw walsh/soft drugs, chris bathgate, bmsr, murder by death, kevin devine and (so far) been pleased with all - obviously havent gotten the KD yet but no reason to think it wont be up to standards.  i like the opportunity to buy test presses, extremely limited pieces and personal touch items (handwritten lyrics, etc).

The only time I ever backed a kickstarter was Anamanaguchi in June. Still waiting for the vinyl...

just came here to post that... Yea wasnt suppose to originally ship in july?? then i think it got pushed to sept.. and now its pretty much nov. So thats cool guysss

Oh just saw on there FB the vinyl has arrived and hopefully its actually shipping now?? Would been nice to have been updated on that

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I never got my test press from the Indian School kickstarter. They used to update us but they stopped. Whenever I make a comment to them, they claim they're still working on it with the label. The album is already out so I assumed the tests were in hand. They're probably pressing up extras just for the kickstarter or something. So hopefully it works out.

So I get back to work today after our holiday break, and randomly, there is an LP mailer waiting for me with an honest-to-god Indian School test press inside it. No note or anything else, just the test pressing. So odd. (This is months and months after finally getting a "test press" of the record that was more or less just the record itself, hand-numbered.) Did you get one, too?

To me, Kickstarter is bullshit. Wanna make money for your band? Go out and play shows, sell exclusive merch that hasn't been hiked up in price simply because its Kickstarter, and make your money. The bands I grew up listening to, as well as every band I've ever been in, has done this.

Got my Digital Noise Academy package today... kind of had forgotten about this one.

I think it's about a year late... no big deal, though.

Ken from Failure plus folks from other bands (Sharky from Creeper Laguna, Jordan from Blinker the Star and even Brad Laner on a track)

Not bad.