PO: My Bloody Valentine - New Album 180 gram

Something I've been asking since day one. Kind of a bummer to hear that the packaging is pretty simplistic, but I guess it is what it is. The record itself does sound fantastic, I'd hope?

Did a side by side earlier today with the 24 bit download and the vinyl and the 24 bit won, IMO unfortunately.

I think they fucked up by not making this a 2xLP. Probably too much music on each side.

Did a side by side earlier today with the 24 bit download and the vinyl and the 24 bit won, IMO unfortunately.

I think they fucked up by not making this a 2xLP. Probably too much music on each side.

Thanks for the clarification.  Really unfortunate to hear, though.

Yeah I won't be buying this unless they sell it for cheaper. If the packaging was better or it was a 2xLP, maybe. But I'm not even going to bother anymore, this high vinyl pricing craze is just ridiculous now.

And it's not just the price, if you ask me.  I'd gladly pay $40 PPD for a x2 LP that was truly limited, housed in a top-notch jacket, imported overseas, and sounded phenomenal.  But that's not the entire case, here.

I recently purchased two double LPs - 180 gram - at retail price.  One included a CD, and the other included a (nice, plastic) download card.  One was $23 and the other $18.  To me, that's pretty awesome.  I'd still love to support MBV and grab this album... but I think it'll be somewhere down the line.  I just see no reason when it'd be $40 [or even $50) in-store, with tax.  Definitely agree that the "new standard" vinyl pricing is a little outrageous right now.

Thanks for the clarification.  Really unfortunate to hear, though.  And it's not just the price, if you ask me.  I'd gladly pay $40 PPD for a x2 LP that was truly limited, housed in a top-notch jacket, imported overseas, and sounded phenomenal.  But that's not the entire case, here. I recently purchased two double LPs - 180 gram - at retail price.  One included a CD, and the other included a (nice, plastic) download card.  One was $23 and the other $18.  To me, that's pretty awesome.  I'd still love to support MBV and grab this album... but I think it'll be somewhere down the line.  I just see no reason when it'd be $40 [or even $50) in-store, with tax.  Definitely agree that the "new standard" vinyl pricing is a little outrageous right now.

I was ok spending $40 for the package because it came with a 24 bit download and a CD. Of course that was assuming the pressing would be epic due to the analog nature of the process. Unfortunately the pressing fell short of my lofty expectations (still a decent sounding vinyl) as well as the poor packaging. Id definitely be in the market for a 45rpm 2xLP were they ever to release it cause I absolutely love this album.

I was ok spending $40 for the package because it came with a 24 bit download and a CD. Of course that was assuming the pressing would be epic due to the analog nature of the process. Unfortunately the pressing fell short of my lofty expectations (still a decent sounding vinyl) as well as the poor packaging. Id definitely be in the market for a 45rpm 2xLP were they ever to release it cause I absolutely love this album.

It is indeed a very solid album.  I wasn't absolutely thrilled with it at first, but it's proven to gel quite nicely over the last few weeks.  I agree that a x2 LP at 45 RPM would be fantastic.  I think we all expected a bit more in the jacket and presentation department, too.

It is indeed a very solid album.  I wasn't absolutely thrilled with it at first, but it's proven to gel quite nicely over the last few weeks.  I agree that a x2 LP at 45 RPM would be fantastic.  I think we all expected a bit more in the jacket and presentation department, too.

Seriously though, why go the whole analog route, master the vinyl version separately from the rest of the formats and not press it to be its best at 45rpm and 2xLP? Just doesn't make sense to run a marathon, only to stop a foot before the finish line.

Seriously though, why go the whole analog route, master the vinyl version separately from the rest of the formats and not press it to be its best at 45rpm and 2xLP? Just doesn't make sense to run a marathon, only to stop a foot before the finish line.

Very well said.  I'm probably not alone in having had pipe dreams for how the vinyl would sound, based off the mastering approach and everything we've read.  I was actually one click away from placing an order, the night it went up, just because the potential - both in the music and sound's quality - was so astronomically high in my eyes.  I held off and risked the "limited" supplies running short, to kind of see and hear about the end product.  Does seem like a bit of a buzzkill, but more power to anyone who's completely content with it.