We Buy White Albums

I am stopping in tuesday. I will meet him and see if he changes my opinion.

I have no issue with odd collections, I collected several pieces of old Yankee Stadium for instance. I dont see hundreds of doodled on covers as anything other than keeping affordable copies of this record out of others hands.

This is why I don't understand art.

Now I'm not saying I am not intrigued, at least a little.  I wish he would have taken it a step further and tried to get a brief description of the history of each album he got.  Being able to flip through the stacks and see the journey each of these records have taken would have been awesome. 

I'll also say that this has got me thinking.  I want to see a band now release a record in a blank sleeve or simply a blank insert and get fans to doodle while listening to the record the first time.  Then get them to send them back in and do an art exhibit that way.  That would be something that is truly worthy of an "art" exhibit.

There are more than three million numbered copies in the first pressing. I think the rest of the world will get by just fine even though some weirdo owns 700 of them.

Not to mention I bet Beatles fans are probably dying quicker than new ones are taking their place.

I read an article about a dude on yahoo that had some of the rarest elvis records ever made (like /3 and stuff like that) and how he was trying to sell it. I guess the market on Elvis stuff has taken a nice hit and dude was probably going to take losses on a bunch of stuff or never sell it.

The Beatles are probably gonna face the same thing eventually. World moves on.

Not to mention I bet Beatles fans are probably dying quicker than new ones are taking their place.

I read an article about a dude on yahoo that had some of the rarest elvis records ever made (like /3 and stuff like that) and how he was trying to sell it. I guess the market on Elvis stuff has taken a nice hit and dude was probably going to take losses on a bunch of stuff or never sell it.

The Beatles are probably gonna face the same thing eventually. World moves on.

Once they move on we can finally be all about those Fall Out Boy records $$$$$$

So then if I doodled and altered all of my copies of Jane Doe and displayed them in a gallery I'd be an artist?

no. and, besides he didnt doodle on them or write the notes. theyre from different people from presumably all walks of life - many of which probably passed through multiple hands or travelled the world over the last 45 years. nobody cares that you bought 12 copies of jane doe on the internet. 

no. and, besides he didnt doodle on them or write the notes. theyre from different people from presumably all walks of life - many of which probably passed through multiple hands or travelled the world over the last 45 years. nobody cares that you bought 12 copies of jane doe on the internet. 

All of this, especially the last line.

This is why I don't understand art.

I'll also say that this has got me thinking.  I want to see a band now release a record in a blank sleeve or simply a blank insert and get fans to doodle while listening to the record the first time.  Then get them to send them back in and do an art exhibit that way.  That would be something that is truly worthy of an "art" exhibit.

See, you do understand art! While art can be subjective, it doesn't  always have to be complicated. Generally it boils down to communicating something, or evoking a response, in many cases both, but I don't want to be a stickler. Your "example" qualifies, you just got to get busy doing it. 

I struggled with the ‘what is art’ question all throughout college. As a graphic designer... taking classes alongside fine artists can be confusing. I avoid that question like the plague. 

I wish people would just stop trying to "understand" art and just accept it for what it is.  Art, in any form, doesn't need to be seen as a science or a math. There's nothing to "get" or "figure out."

This dude explained it pretty plainly: he's using the records he buys to document how time and human interaction has affected the quality of the audio & the album artwork, meanwhile displaying the jackets as a visual aid.  So, in this particular scenario, that is what art is.

I have a heavy background in fine art, so I happen to think this is a pretty cool idea.  I don't side with anyone on variant collectors, so I'm planning on going to this exhibition as nothing more than a fan of art and The Beatles.

I agree with those here who view it more as a re-appropriation and placing the records, themselves, into new contexts. I can get why people don't 'understand' this kind of art, but really, it's not anything new - the majority of 20th century modern art from the Futurists and the Dadaists, onward, is predicated upon being largely conceptual and more based around ideas than flat images on paper or canvas. I hate the Beatles, but I enjoyed listening to the soundclip of 100 different A-sides playing all at once - the layers gave the original source material a really fuzzed out and ambient feel. If he ends up pressing this like the article says, I'll buy a copy.