Has the vinyl revival gone too far?

And here's my other argument against variant collecting. Every variant you buy takes that record out of the hands of a person who isn't being selfish and only wants 1 cool looking copy of the record. And it artificially increases the price by making it "rare", which causes this whole "flipping records" thing going on now. So maybe if a lot less people collected variants, flipping would stop. Maybe? Who knows, it's hard to tell. I just don't understand why somebody needs more than 1 copy of a record. I'm gonna stick with my theory that it gives these hipsters something to brag about. "oooo I got this (insert record name here) on light blue vinyl limited to /100, look at me, does it make me cool?". Either that or it's because they have a small penis and they buy records to overcompensate.

Exactly. The variety in records is cool and all but I'd want other people to have the opportunity to listen to the music

AUTONOMY (buy it or pass, whatever it is)-- love it! 

free market, love it, too-- even though parasites come along for the ride... (see I didn't say flippers). "Life feeds on life. This is necessary. Repeat"  ...

'resources used better elsewhere'?  Statism-brainwashed rubbish. Power-hungry dictator wannabes.

AUTONOMY (buy it or pass, whatever it is)-- love it! 

free market, love it, too-- even though parasites come along for the ride... (see I didn't say flippers). "Life feeds on life. This is necessary. Repeat"  ...

'resources used better elsewhere'?  Statism-brainwashed rubbish. Power-hungry dictator wannabes.

Woah, dude this is an interesting post. Are you a robot that just learned human emotions?

Nah! Far from it actually. I just bust that out each and every time someone mentions it. I think it's funny. Plus it sheds a bit of light (and levity) on some people's mentality and overconcern on records and how people choose to spend their own money.

The Hobby is used derisively over there to describe all the fanboyish antics over here.

Reasons to re-issue Kenny Rogers (and anything else you can find in a bargain bin):

- Most people don't go digging through crates for used records

- Most people in general don't buy used when there is a new option available

What world do you live in where record collectors don't go digging thru used bins? I have not met anyone who still buys records that doesn't do this.

I have also never met a record collector that would rather have a new repress than a used original or earlier pressing.

What world do you live in where record collectors don't go digging thru used bins? I have not met anyone who still buys records that doesn't do this.

I have also never met a record collector that would rather have a new repress than a used original or earlier pressing.

I mean, I still dig through used bins. But I know a lot of people who just buy new records. You can find a ton of them on these boards. 

I meant in more general terms than just record collectors... these reissues are aiming for a broader market. They want people who don't normally buy records to buy them again (or for the first time) either because vinyl is "in" again, or they want to try it out, etc. I know I'm beating the term to death, but your average Joe who doesn't actively collect records is more likely to pick up a new press of an album they like in a Best Buy over picking up a beat up copy from a secondhand store.

I'd rather have a new repress than have a used original.  I also much prefer the convenience of shopping online to buying from stores.

that said, you've probably never met me

I dunno if I agree with all of this, but I do agree with most of it.  I think people get into vinyl for different reasons.  For me, I've always loved music and it seemed like a somewhat affordable hobby to get into when I started.  Part of the reason I got into collecting was that I would see all these great records at thrift stores and used bins for super cheap and wanted to be able to buy and play them.  The other part was, yes, the sound quality.  But overall, my love of music came first and it still does today.  I think that's what alot of collectors are loosing sight of nowadays. I think that it SHOULD be about the music, not that pretty looking, multi-colored slab o wax you have.  I do admit that I'm a sucker for cool looking wax, but I just don't understand the impluse to have every color or every one, because that's not what it's about for me.  Ultimately, these variant collectors are just buying more and more, and ultimately not only driving up the price of that particular record so that flippers can sell it for obscene amounts, but also, the price of manufacturing a record, which really hurts us all.  And now that the majors have noticed, it comes with a whole new set of bullshit, more pressing, and more price increases.  I mean, we have to all wake up and stop this or I feel like it's going to get way out of control sooner or later.  Maybe the hobby will just become too expensive for people to handle, but I really don't wanna see it come to that.

if it's all about the music, shouldn't record labels stop making physical copies of albums and simply sell you a FLAC download?  and if you want pops and cracks in your music, I'm sure the label or someone could add that to your lossless files after the fact.  that would certainly be cheaper...

and it seems to me that variant collectors do nothing but help the vinyl industry.  if you're a label, would you rather find 500 people to buy 500 copies of your record or 400 people?  faster return on your investment and less stock taking up space on your shelves.  and not only that, but by having rare variants, you make people make impulsive decisions, because if you don't buy early, you miss out on the "cool" color.  for example, see the lillington's thread where a bunch of $100+ boxsets sold out in 30 seconds, even ones that cost $40-50 more than the standard one.  $90 for a regular boxset, $130 for 6 records in a metal box, or $140 for 12 one-sided records, yet not one single complaint...

Much of what is pressed these days isn't superior sounding to anything. I don't think he discovered he wasn't an audiophile so much as analog is practically dead and the format suffers because of it. I can relate to that for sure. I'm getting tired of listening to older records only to put on a newer one and realize just how bad it sounds. It's not that cut and dry, of course, but it's close enough.

Good point.

i can't disagree with moonbeams enough on all counts there.

myself included, there are plenty of people who wouldn't even pretend to call themselves audiophiles on here. for some people, it's just about having something you like.

the only place where reselling used vinyl hurts the industry is when it's coming from goodwill. for the most part, around here, someone will sell off a few of their records, and that money will likely go to buying other records. 

and of the two record stores in this town, one is almost entirely new vinyl, the other almost entirely used. sure it helps that my best friend works at the used store- but that's where the real heart is. that's the place i'll go into and ask them to order something i can't find. but the only way they stay afloat is through used sales.

and i think everyone agrees, that the small independent stores are the ones we really care about.

I think you misunderstood me and I'll take accountability for that. Personally, I love the used bin way more than the new bin (when I lived in Tokyo at least, in Tampa it's quite a disappoint, you're lucky if there are plastic sleeves on a record here). If a release is popular enough that it sells well used, then it should be reissued. The label and artists have every right to make as much as they can off it. What you call a "cash grab" is necessary business that keeps the industry alive.

If new records didn't sell, labels would cease production, and our record collections will become a time capsule. This is what has happened in Japan since most labels stopped producing vinyl releases 3 years ago.

And here's my other argument against variant collecting.  Every variant you buy takes that record out of the hands of a person who isn't being selfish and only wants 1 cool looking copy of the record.  And it artificially increases the price by making it "rare", which causes this whole "flipping records" thing going on now.  So maybe if a lot less people collected variants, flipping would stop.  Maybe?  Who knows, it's hard to tell.  I just don't understand why somebody needs more than 1 copy of a record.  I'm gonna stick with my theory that it gives these hipsters something to brag about. "oooo I got this (insert record name here) on light blue vinyl limited to /100, look at me, does it make me cool?".  Either that or it's because they have a small penis and they buy records to overcompensate.

Your argument depends on the release. Most releases with a variant (in my collection) have variants in limited quantities and the rest on black. They casual listener has the black option, collectors/people who follow the artist closely can snap up the variants, in most cases.

Labels obviously like it when collectors buy up all variants. It would appear that labels take advantage of this. I think its good. Consumers can choose which product they want to buy, collectors can do their thing, and the labels and artists would get a little more $ for their release.