SECULAR HAZE'S FINAL GIVEAWAY

Guest Secular Haze

1) What was your favorite album of 2013? Norma Jean Wrongdoers

2) What was the best live show you attended in 2013? Anberlin

3) What was your favorite vinyl variant you purchased in 2013? Without A doubt Wilhelm Scream Shattered Mast

4) What was your favorite reissue of 2013? Not a repress but it's an old album that was finally pressed, Suicide Machines DBD

5) Which of the four records would you like to win? Touche Amore - Is Survived By on Opaque Blue Vinyl /11,499

1) What was your favorite album of 2013?

Lord - Pure Heroine

2) What was the best live show you attended in 2013?

Postal Service - 4/10 Davis (second show of the tour, front row seats)

3) What was your favorite vinyl variant you purchased in 2013?

The National - Trouble Will Find Me deluxe boxset

4) What was your favorite reissue of 2013?

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism

5) Which of the four records would you like to win?

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory 

Karnivool - Asymmetry

Karnivool (02 November 2013 in Cologne) or Steven Wilson (10 March 2013 in Cologne)

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a blank planet [/500, Pinkpop Festival Exclusive]

251033826991.jpg

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream 2xLP

5) Which of the four records would you like to win? (select one)

Mastodon - Leviathan

Awesome! Love this thread!!!

1) What was your favorite album of 2013? Balance and Composure - The Things We Think We're Missing

2) What was the best live show you attended in 2013? either the Skate and Surf festival or The Uproar Festival

3) What was your favorite vinyl variant you purchased in 2013? My Circa Survive - On letting go picture disc

4) What was your favorite reissue of 2013? Balance and composure - separation purple w/ green haze

5) Which of the four records would you like to win? (select one) Touche amore please

Goodluck to everyone!

My favorite album of 2013 would have to be Protest the Hero's new album Volition. It might be because they're my favorite band but, this album has by far blown my expectations out of the water. I was really worried and expecting then to mellow out a bit on this album, but it hit harder than I either thought. The more and more i listen to this, the more I notice and am pleasantly surprised. 

The best show I attended in 2013 was a show a few weeks ago in Welland Ontario at the Niagra Sport and Social Clubhouse. The venue was just a room about the size of a half a basketball court and I ended up right beside them during the set because my friend I went with knows them on a personal level. We stuck around for a while afterwards and hung out with Tim, Luke, Rody, and Mike (their fill-in bassist was still packing his stuff up and didn't join us) at the bar just shot the shit for an hour or so. I had to hold in the inner fangirl in me during this. 

The favorite variant I got this year has to be the half hot pink, half olive green with mint green splatter variant of the album Listener - Time is a Machine. The vinyl looks like a slice of watermelon, and the ltd 7" matches it to boot! 

The favorite reissue of this year for me has to be At the Drive-in's album Relationship of Command. Picked it up on a friends reccomerndation as I had never heard of them before and couldn't thank him enough. This album is absolutely killer and I don't know how i had never heard of them before. This album is now in my regular rotation. 

I would love to snag that copy of the Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn 10th anniversary edition as I was on the fence about it and didn't go for it yet. This album is tied for my favorite of theirs.  

Daft punk - R.A.M

This is tough, it's close between Finch and Postal Service, It was really cool to see bands I never got to see in

highschool.

Finally got my hands on M83- Before the Dawn Heals us.

Boards of Canada - Music has the right to children

Linkin Park

Awesome contest, as per usual.

Hmmmm...Probably Telekinesis- "Dormarion"

This one was very tricky. I have cut down on my shows a lot over the past couple years but still managed to see so many of my top like top 10 favorite bands. I will go with: mewithoutyou @ The Bell House on 8/23/13. Awesome performance, setlist, crowd, venue, beer, company, etc.

The Horrible Crowes- Live at the Troubadour; Black/Blue swirl.

A lot I liked this year, but gotta be dat TDAGARIM.

Mastodon, please.

​Thanks for the opportunity, man.

1) What was your favorite album of 2013? QOTSA - ... Like Clockwork

2) What was the best live show you attended in 2013? QOTSA - Red Rocks, Morrison, CO

3) What was your favorite vinyl variant you purchased in 2013? Author & Punisher - Women & Children

4) What was your favorite reissue of 2013? Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

5) Which of the four records would you like to win? (select one) - Mastadon

Counterparts - The Difference Between Hell and Home or The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation.

I moved 3 times in 2013 and I have 2 jobs. I don't think I got a chance to go to any shows.

While not terribly rare, I really like the look of my tri-color green copy of Sharks 'No Gods'

4)What was your favorite reissue of 2013?

The Wonder Years - Suburbia - clear vinyl. or the new pressing of Wake the Dead

Lamb of God or Linkin Park. Surprise me.

Welcome back, Sec.  I know I said that I was going to step down for the next entry, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to recap the year.  Great reads from everyone so far.

// FAVORITE ALBUM OF 2013

Trickiest question of the bunch -- 2013 was a doozy for me.  So, so many good releases.  Only one or two didn't live up to my expectations, while countless others delivered despite all the hype.  (And of course, there were new artists and releases that impressed me more than I could have possibly hoped for, out of the blue.)  New Russian Circles is still hitting all the right spots, though I've taken a serious fondness to the latest from Tim Hecker, as well.  But to keep the flow going - and to toss out a generic nomination - I'd probably opt for...

5082.jpg

Anyone who listened to Deafheaven before Sunbather knows that the band stepped up their game immensely for this release.  I've been enjoying the irrational amount of butt-hurt complaints from black metal purists almost as much as the music itself.  The amount of success that Deafheaven have seen, thanks to this album, is just boggling.  From Pitchfork praise to iPhone campaigns, the reception of Sunbather has glowed just as bright as the album title may suggest.  What I enjoyed about this release, especially, was the early pre-order download: it felt like everyone at VC was (rightfully) blown away by the album weeks before the mass media sunk their teeth into it.  Seldom does that seem to happen, and it was cool to sit back and admire everyone else clamoring about a record that deserves all its hype and praise.

// BEST LIVE SHOW OF 2013

I was initially thinking GY!BE in San Francisco... but after careful consideration, I've got to go with The National in Portland.  It was an eight hour drive to get there, but worth every minute.  (I may be saying this because we spent a day in Portland, too, which I absolutely loved.  My first exposure to the city has been a great one.)  But The National just killed it.  The sound, the stage presence, the setlist, the lighting... all of it was simply top notch, and skirted on the brink of surreal more times than I could count.  Exceptionally pleased.

// FAVORITE VARIANT OF 2013

1kSeo.png

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, somewhere.  But off the top of my head, I have to say that the "clear with cyan swirl" variant of Touché Amoré's Is Survived By is simply stunning in person.

// FAVORITE REPRESS OF 2013

Lku6dBj.gif

Absolute no-brainer, here: Warp's spontaneous repress of the Boards of Canada catalog was (is) a miracle by no small means.  These classic albums were printed in scarce amounts back in the early 2000s, and used to fetch $200 - $300 a pop on eBay, Discogs, etc.  The fact they were re-issued in a bundle at an affordable cost confirms that there is a God.

// ALBUM REQUEST

44949-300x300.jpg

Please and thank you.  I own zero Mastodon records, and can't think of a better place to begin.

I honestly think it might be the new Arctic Monkey's record. I really liked the new Doomriders and QOTSA as well, but I listened to AM the most. Surprises me even.

Probably The Bronx. Anytime I get to see them it is almost always one of my favorite shows of the year. 

I really like the way Mondo's Timecrimes looks. 

Trying to think of represses I bought this year, I don't think there was many. Maybe Dust - Hard Attack, that album and art rules.

Mastodon. 

Another great comp!

This is an easy one for me, QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork, this album just blows me away, and I can't wait to see them (again) in March.

Tough call, it would be between Bloc Party or Norma Jean, both small venues, both great set lists. But I'll go for Norma Jean, great show, met the band afterwards, and took them sailing the next day as they had a double header in Auckland and wanted to get out and see a bit of the city.

Bronx/Mariachi el Bronx Live Split - RSD

4ff2f2d56d822.jpg

Nirvana - In Utero (3xLP)

Mastodon! 

Cheers Sec.

Edited because my half baked brain can't remember shit. 

Have Mercy - The Earth Pushed Back 

My house show when Artifex Pereo came to town back in May. Good times. The Koji/Have Mercy show is a close second though. So many shows this year it's incredible. 

Silverchair - Frogstomp Neon Green

Brand New - TDAGARIM

Mastodon

The People The Poet - The Narrator. The concept and then execution was just perfect.

The Postal Service in London.

Mentioned by others I think but We Are The Romans clear w/ blue splatter.

Funeral for a Friend - Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation. So many memories attatched to it.

Touche Amore - Is Survived By would be ace!

Tough one... Happy Body Slow Brain - Dreams of Water was a solid album, but Have Mercy - The Earth Pushed Back really kills it

My house show when Artifex Pereo came to town back in May. Good times. The Koji/Have Mercy show is a close second though. So many shows this year it's incredible.

As Cities Burn - SILYAYD Coke Bottle

Brand New - TDAGARIM

Mastodon

Hate to burst your bubble, but Dreams Of Water came out over 3 years ago in 2010. It is an amazing record though.

Edit - And now that I think about it, I'm 99.99999% sure SILYAYD was a 2012 issue, not 2013.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Dreams Of Water came out over 3 years ago in 2010. It is an amazing record though.

Edit - And now that I think about it, I'm 99.99999% sure SILYAYD was a 2012 issue, not 2013.

Poo. I lose. I'll re-adjust my imbecile answers. Good call, dude. 

That's tough but it has to be between Citizen - Youth, The Story So Far - What You Don't See, and Turnover - Magnolia

TSSF, Such Gold, STYG, Rotting Out, Souvenirs

TSSF - While You Were Sleeping on Green /100

Blink 182 - TOYPAJ

Linkin Park for sure!

"Favorite" is a tough one....but I'm gonna go ahead and go with Savages -Silence Yourself.  

Errrrrrg.....gonna have to go with Soundgarden at The Wiltern for this one.  Tough though....went to a bunch of good shows this year.  

Hands down Fuzz -S/T deluxe edition.  Fuzzy velvet and shiny foil cover, clear with black splatter vinyl.  Picked this up when I saw them play at The Satellite last month.  

Probably most excited about the Slayer reissues!  ....assuming they ever get released  :wacko:

MASTODON!!!  ...and it's not even close.  

Certainly a tough choice.  For me, its between QOTSA - ...Like Clockwork, Pretty Lights - A Color Map of the Sun, Daft Punk - R.A.M., but I will go with QOTSA.  Josh Homme is the fucking man. 

This was a tough year for me, concert-wise.  I guess having twins will do that to a person haha.  That being said, BTBAM put on a great show, per usual.  It doesn't matter how many times I've seen them, the sheer talent of each member of the band blows my mind each time I see them.

Mastodon - Crack the Skye green splatter version (see avatar)

Sec, I'm sure you'll see this one coming from me haha.  Opeth - Ghost Reveries.  It's just. so. damn. good.

Mastodon - Leviathan

Tough call, but I would have to say Common Courtesy by A Day to Remember. 

I just went to see Twenty One Pilots in Atlanta this past Saturday, and I have to say they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen. 

Panic! At the Disco - Pretty. Odd. on purple vinyl. I love the color, and for some reason the cover artwork is one of my favorites.

^^Same as above

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Sigur Ros "Kveikur"  Love the heavier Sigur Ros and sounded great live.

Have to say the Jeff Mangum solo tour. Never thought I would see NMH songs live from him ever.

Doomriders "Grand Blood" on river of blood

Not out yet but super excited for Rise Against "Siren Song"

Touche Amore- Is Survived By

Guest Secular Haze

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

The winner will be selected at random this evening.  I encourage those of you that haven't entered to please do so.  I also wanted to take the opportunity to answer the questions (no, I'm not entering the giveaway).

-BEST ALBUM OF 2013-

I know it's been said over a dozen times already, but Deafheaven - Sunbather is my pick.  Other notables would include Ghost - Infestissumam, and Carcass - Surgical Steel.

-BEST LIVE SHOW OF 2013-

Ghost @ The 9:30 Club, hands down.

-FAVORITE VINYL VARIANT PURCHASED IN 2013-

We have ourselves a two-way tie here.  Botch - We Are The Romans (Clear w/ Blue Splatter) and Modern Life Is War - Fever Hunting (Kelly Green Mix)

-FAVORITE REISSUE OF 2013-

In a year with an abundance of reissues, this is a tough one.  I'll have to go with Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh.

This is going to sound so redundant... I'm sorry anyone reading this:

Streetlight Manifesto -The Hands That Thieve

Mischief Brew playing on my birthday, or Streetlight Manifesto's farewell shows

Test press of the Mischief Brew/ Andrew Jackson Jihad split. Clear yellow vinyl, 8" pressed into a 10". Concentric grooves.

Streetlight's first two records, or Catch-22's Keasbey Nights

Mastodon please!

Thanks so much! This thread is always great!