Dustin Kensrue :: The Water and The Blood :: Oct 1 2013

You guys know it's ok to not like something by an artist, right? It seems like a lot of you are about it because it has kensrue's name on it, yet vehemently disagree with Christianity or worship music - this will be a worship album, not his please come home follow up. Might be best for you to skip it and not get super angry at the upfront Christian lyrics.

I can't agree more with this. August Burns Red, Underoath, As Cities Burn, Emery, and tons more all have a lot of "religious" lyrics but due to Dustin's farewell with Thrice and the fact that he got right into his music (which will portray his everyday lifestyle of Christianity) people are already thinking they won't like it.. Give it a chance guys! I bet he surprises most of us!

Just throwing this out there..no one jump down my throat because this is just an observation and it isn't aimed at anyone in particular..but I hate how it's so easy for someone to get called out for being a "homophobe" or a "bigot" or whatever on these boards because they call their close friends "fags" or "gay" or whatever but as soon as a topic that is clearly about a Christian artist is posted, it's okay to make the "religious" jokes and comments. As a believer (not your typical "Christian") it's so frustrating because I know a lot of you guys or gals on here have been hurt or have had a bad experience through someone in the church and its caused a disconnect with others who actually live a true Christian life. Dustin's heart is obviously in the whole Jesus thing right now and it's cool that he has a musical talent and wants to show his heart through what we all know is a special gift that not a lot of us have.. so why is it okay to make the religious jokes?

I agree with most of that Justin. That being said, I don't know that people were making jokes, I think it's more been open uncertainty about the blatant display of religion. If Jesse Lacy came out as gay and made songs called "fuck yeah penises" or "Big muscles" or something, I'd be questioning the quality of that too, even though he's an incredible musician. People are concerned about the blatant subject matter, but I don't think anyone here is insulting Christianity itself

I agree with most of that Justin. That being said, I don't know that people were making jokes, I think it's more been open uncertainty about the blatant display of religion. If Jesse Lacy came out as gay and made songs called "fuck yeah penises" or "Big muscles" or something, I'd be questioning the quality of that too, even though he's an incredible musician. People are concerned about the blatant subject matter, but I don't think anyone here is insulting Christianity itself

If Jesse doesn't release a song called "Big Muscles" I'm going to be a little upset.

As the dude that started it i will repeat some past statements. I am an actively practicing Christian. I find in your face tossing of my faith to be obnoxious. That's me. He expresses his differently. I don't like it. There is no bigotry. No one said he couldn't make this album, no one said you couldn't buy it. Everyone always knew Thrice had religious tones. I find the song titles this time ridiculous and that opinion won't change. Nothing wrong with stating as much.

I definitely understand and rightfully so. I'm just referring to the small jokes of "going to hell" and the South Park video type stuff. It's funny I get it! I watched the video and chuckled a little but I just find it to be pretty lame..and the only reason I even mention it is because when a Christian or Republican or whatever group shows the least amount of so called "intolerance" people jump on the chance at stumping them out. I don't at all feel the need to defend Christ or my faith, I'm passed that in my life, it's more of just trying to make a point and if it isn't really heard that's okay. Just wanted to have a discussion on the subject and maybe it isn't the right thread lol

I see it more as people reacting to the exclusivity of the material. I am not trying to bash,I am hopefully the furthest thing from a reddit style atheist. I grew up christian and still have many chrisitian friends.  

I think that  song title wise It's so blatant that if your not a christian you feel left out. Thrice is a very well

read band and they incorporate many books as well as the bible into their stuff. Its fun for everyone. 

This is pretty exclusive, and that's fine, I think people just don't want to be left out because we all like dustin. (I know him personally and think he's a great dude)
It may also be the fact that modern worship music is terrible. It's all the same power chords over and over and if you really read the lyrics, they are worse than any ke$ha song.
Hymns are actually better and things I even as a blackhearted atheist enjoy for their musical value. 

This might be the greatest thing every recorded. None of us know, but I think what your seeing is not an attack on christianity but more feeling left out because we are not in the club.

I see it more as people reacting to the exclusivity of the material. I am not trying to bash,I am hopefully the furthest thing from a reddit style atheist. I grew up christian and still have many chrisitian friends.

I think that song title wise It's so blatant that if your not a christian you feel left out. Thrice is a very well

read band and they incorporate many books as well as the bible into their stuff. Its fun for everyone.

This is pretty exclusive, and that's fine, I think people just don't want to be left out because we all like dustin. (I know him personally and think he's a great dude)

It may also be the fact that modern worship music is terrible. It's all the same power chords over and over and if you really read the lyrics, they are worse than any ke$ha song.

Hymns are actually better and things I even as a blackhearted atheist enjoy for their musical value.

This might be the greatest thing every recorded. None of us know, but I think what your seeing is not an attack on christianity but more feeling left out because we are not in the club.

This is great! Very eye opening for me

Just throwing this out there..no one jump down my throat because this is just an observation and it isn't aimed at anyone in particular..but I hate how it's so easy for someone to get called out for being a "homophobe" or a "bigot" or whatever on these boards because they call their close friends "fags" or "gay" or whatever but as soon as a topic that is clearly about a Christian artist is posted, it's okay to make the "religious" jokes and comments. As a believer (not your typical "Christian") it's so frustrating because I know a lot of you guys or gals on here have been hurt or have had a bad experience through someone in the church and its caused a disconnect with others who actually live a true Christian life. Dustin's heart is obviously in the whole Jesus thing right now and it's cool that he has a musical talent and wants to show his heart through what we all know is a special gift that not a lot of us have.. so why is it okay to make the religious jokes?

Because religion blows and gay people are fucking awesome....

I am not going to feel bad for the "poor persecuted Christians."  The book that they use to justify their beliefs has done so much damage to the world that all of the criticism and skepticism is completely deserved.  And having an opinion about "religion" and "god" is a completely different thing than bombing abortion clinics, persecuting gay people, persecuting women, justifying racism and murdering in the name of god, all of which is justified by the bible. 

Here's my two cents. I'm going to skip this release and it really bums me out. Even though I'm an atheist, I loved Kensrue's subtle religious undertones in Thrice's music. It was thought provoking and poignant but never outright preachy. The sad thing is he probably reached more people with "Gods word" or whatever with Thrice's music than he ever will with this because when you write songs that have that kind of blatant and over the top message it is going to turn off a whole lot of people.