PO: Death Cab For Cutie "Transatlanticism" 10th anniversary 2xLP

From the inbox:

In celebration of the classic 2003 album’s 10th birthday, Barsuk Records is excited to announce that Death Cab for Cutie’s Transatlanticism will be made available on vinyl after several years out of print. Both the vinyl reissue and a digital-only Transatlanticism – Tenth Anniversary Edition are set for October 29, 2013 release.  

The digital Anniversary Edition – and the album MP3 download included with the vinyl – will both include the original demos for each of the album’s 11 songs, none of which has ever been released before. They are an intimate peek into the landmark album’s genesis, and many are drastically different from the beloved final studio versions.  

Interested listeners can get the demos in four ways. In addition to their availability as part of the vinyl MP3 download and the Tenth Anniversary Edition, the demos will also be released as a separate low-priced digital release titled Transatlanticism Demos for fans who already own the original album. Additionally, the demos will be added as a special bonus to the download codes included in the Barsuk Years vinyl box set released earlier this year by Artist in Residence.   

You can listen to “Lightness (Demo)” now:

Listen | Share | Post Death Cab for Cutie “Lightness (Demo)” from Transatlanticism 10th Anniversary Edition [out October 29th on Barsuk Records]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYm4Esj-VFQ

http://soundcloud.com/barsuk-records/death-cab-for-cutie-lightness/

The band will be performing Transatlanticism in its entirety at Bumbershoot 2013. The KeyArena headlining performance on Sunday, September 1 will cap a day at the long-standing Seattle arts festival that will also feature performances by Barsuk Records artists Ra Ra Riot, Mates of State, David Bazan, and Ramona Falls, and a special “15 Years of Barsuk Records” panel discussion as part of the festival’s Words & Ideas programming.

Transatlanticism Tenth Anniversary Edition

1.       The New Year

2.       Lightness

3.       Title and Registration

4.       Expo '86

5.       The Sound of Settling

6.       Tiny Vessels

7.       Transatlanticism

8.       Passenger Seat

9.       Death of An Interior Decorator

10.     We Looked Like Giants

11.     A Lack of Color

BONUS MATERIALS (also included in the vinyl LP MP3 download, and as the stand-alone digital release Transatlanticism Demos):

12.     The New Year (Demo)

13.     Lightness (Demo)

14.     Title and Registration (Demo)

15.     Expo '86 (Demo)

16.     The Sound of Settling (Demo)

17.     Tiny Vessels (Demo)

18.     Transatlanticism (Demo)

19.     Passenger Seat (Demo)

20.     Death of An Interior Decorator (Demo)

21.     We Looked Like Giants (Demo)

22.     A Lack of Color (Demo)

You can pre-order the vinyl reissue at barsuk.com now:

http://www.barsuk.com/shop/bark032lp10

Transatlanticism is Death Cab for Cutie’s fourth studio album, hailed upon its original release as a major work, blending subtle songwriting, amazing production, boundless creativity, and thoughtful rock. It remains a touchstone for a generation of listeners. Since its release it has appeared on numerous “Best of Lists” including NPR’s “The Decade's 50 Most Important Recordings”, Rolling Stone’s “100 Best Albums of the 2000s”, Paste’s “Top 50 Albums of the Decade” and remains one of the best-selling albums in indie rock history, having sold nearly 700,000 copies in the US alone.

Honestly, $28 for a 180g 2xLP with a 12 page full-color booklet doesn't sound that bad. If labels are able to sell single non-180g LPs with a single page insert for $15, which I think is pretty reasonable, then I don't see how $28 for this package is that absurd.

I ordered because I wanted Pedro The Lion's Control and It's Hard To Find A Friend and was pleasantly surprised to see that Barsuk offers free priority shipping for orders over $40.

Anyway, I'm just stoked to finally get my hands on this for less than 40-50 bucks.

I didn't notice the booklet in the description so given that, you're getting something more out of it which is great but I still don't think its worth $28. Converge's Jane Doe has an 11" full color 10 or so page booklet and while its not 180 gram, its still $8 cheaper if you're buying it from the right place. I've even seen them go for $15 at shows.

I'll stick to my German pressing....for now at least. I hope this means that maybe there'll be represses for the rest of their early catalog, outside of that box set! 

yeah, i'm with you. those demos do sound enticing though. but things like that always end up being something I just want but never use/listen to.