Do Compilations count towards a full collection?

tokimedo

Do Compilations count towards a full collection?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do Compilations count towards a full collection?

exclusive track comp: yes

old track comp: a bonus

tests: yes but I consider it a kind of another tier of completeness.. like one if everything could be the first, all variants the second, all tests the third. but I personally don't feel satisfied with a full variant collection unless I have tests to go with it.

cd's: a bonus

this can get out of control so quickly, so glad I gave up variant collecting. after a while I was looking at my collection and seeing a pile of money. do I really need 9 different colors of a split? but hey, more power to the people who can do it, you're a better person than I.

with that being said, hey toki do you want to buy my ciz young states and split with the fragile season CDs?

:)

I don't think compilations count unless there is a track exclusive to that release (or if you're insanely thorough).  I feel the same way about 7"s that have no exclusive tracks, I only pick them up if I do it on the cheap.

Personally, I consider my collection complete when I have one of every release by the band.  I can understand the appeal of variant collecting, but it's not for me (I'd much spend my money on 3 different albums than three colors of the same album).

I'm just going to go with what someone else said. It ultimately depends on personal preference, but I do consider it as a viable part of my collections. I don't collect variants and the like, but I do personally collect comps and stuff. 

Ultimately, it's whatever makes you happy brah. :)

For some of my collections, I don't have tests or record release variants (although, having them would be cool). If I enjoy the collection of what I have, then I don't really give a shit if I'm missing a test press or all variants of a compilation. If you're okay with not dropping that much money on the collection, then don't. If its going to bug the shit out of you, well now you have the opportunity to "complete" your collection!

Chiming in with what everyone else says. It's all personal preference.

To one person a complete collection might be one of every record, while someone else wants every variant while someone else only gets LPs. I think once a collection is complete for a while you start itching to get other stuff and expand the collection - i.e. tests and comps. I know thats how I am with my souls collection.

To me if its a Best of compilation then no because those are all songs that already officially exist and are just repackaged and depending on the band over and over and over again.  I always avoid anything that is a Best of.  If its a compilation featuring live tracks, rarities, demos, anything previously unreleased, and I would even accept B-sides from 7"s that never made it on to proper albums or EPs then I would absolutely consider it part of a full collection.  

Truly completely complete collections are accessible to only a handful of individuals- so you have to re-define and lax 'complete' definition for the average collector to obtain this ( or a not so popular band). But even then 'demos' surface. Or Hairy Amps tapes for slighter better known bands. (-;