Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Also, if any of you guys want, Cult of Luna hung up a SHITLOAD of show posters by the square near the venue, which I can have Christian grab.  They're commemorative posters not available for sale, with the dates of the Swedish shows.  I didn't have much room to spare so I only took one for myself but they're sick, I'll post a picture later and if you guys want one we can work something out.  They're glossy and huge and have foil printing and look absolutely awesome.  

Thanks for the rundown Gumbo. Glad you had a great time. Can't wait to hear more.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten into Pelican yet, they are the perfect headbanging music. They are absolutely one of my favourites, but they are the band that got me into post-rock/metal upon their Australasia release. Plus, their stuff isn't that hard to get, so you should be all set.

3 minutes ago, pemulis said:

Thanks for the rundown Gumbo. Glad you had a great time. Can't wait to hear more.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten into Pelican yet, they are the perfect headbanging music. They are absolutely one of my favourites, but they are the band that got me into post-rock/metal upon their Australasia release. Plus, their stuff isn't that hard to get, so you should be all set.

I tried so many times, for so long, to get into them on my own, and it just never clicked.  The only tracks that ever did anything for me were The Tundra and Immutable Dusk off of "Forever Becoming".  But seeing them live was a whole different thing.  Perhaps it was the songs they chose, and the difference in the sound...  being live vs. the somewhat sterile environment of the studio.  But now their music makes more sense to me.  

I just with to hell that I knew what the track was that they played after Vestiges.  It broke down in the middle of the song, similar to the way "Last Day of Winter" does, and the bass player was doing this one repeating riff that they grooved on for a LONG time and built up very slowly.  I might make a recording of my impression of that riff because I remember the changes and where he was playing on the neck, in hopes of you guys being able to point me to what track it is.  

Oh wait, it is Immutable Dusk!!!!  They just jammed it out live a lot more than on record.  They extended the fuck out of that middle section.  And broke it down much much more, it was so quiet.  So different than the way it is on record.  It was almost "Weight"-like in the way they built it up.  Such a different experience than what it gives you on record.  

I'm really, really liking the stuff on "What We All Come To Need" as well.  Specks of Light is probably my favorite track right now.  

Damn, Gumbo.  Sounds like quite the epic weekend!  Very jealous you were able to do something like that.  I'll just have to hope for that Vermont date next year!

I've been seeing clips of Russian Circles Dunk performance on IG & it looks like it was incredible.  The clip of the new song sounds insane. 

On 5/16/2016 at 9:55 AM, mrewest said:

Damn, Gumbo.  Sounds like quite the epic weekend!  Very jealous you were able to do something like that.  I'll just have to hope for that Vermont date next year!

I've been seeing clips of Russian Circles Dunk performance on IG & it looks like it was incredible.  The clip of the new song sounds insane. 

Yeah they only played 1 new song at Colossal Weekend, but their set was amazing.  What struck me most is how 1777 has morphed on stage...  that song is a POWERHOUSE now.  On record, it's the very melodic, gentle kind of rollicking post-rock song, but when they play it live, it's got so much power behind it.  Very cool to see, and completely unexpected.  They basically turn it into a rocker.  

21 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

Pelican has fallen off my radar. Big time.

If you don't have any of their albums Gumby, let me know. I'll sell you most of mine.

Yeah man I literally have none of them.  My favorite right now is "What We All Come To Need" followed by "Forever Becoming" and "Australasia".  I also really like the Ataraxie EP or whatever it's called.  

The problem, though, is that the live version of "Immutable Dusk" is MAGNITUDES better than the studio version.  I wish they did a live album, because that song live is absolutely incredible.  The middle section is so much better than what they did in the studio, you don't really get the dynamics on the album of the way that song really moves.  They get SO quiet and gentle with everything, but on the record all the guitar overdubs are like right in your face at almost full-volume.  Also, they definitely jam that part out live.  It was way longer than the studio version.  

What do you have?  And what are we talking, price-wise? :D    Not that I need to add more things to my queue....  I've already got so many other albums and records waiting to get bought, and I've spent so much money on music lately as well.  

Here's my haul from the trip:   (non-obvious stuff: TWDY EU tour shirt top right, CD at bottom is Town Portal - The Occident as well as their setlist.  The other setlist is from Penguinsmeat, a cool electronic dancey post-rock band from Russian who I love.  I tried SO hard to get the Cult of Luna setlist from Pustervik but it was out of reach.)

The tour poster is fucking sick, though.  Really high quality.  For some reason this picture didn't come out super clear.  

3RrtEoZ.jpg

Edited by Gumbo72203

Nice job grabbing setlists.  I love snagging those from shows.  I'll always cherish my Cloudkicker one from their very first show :)

And yeah 1777 is a beast live.  I saw RC for the 3rd or 4th time last year & it's crazy to see how their live sound has evolved.  It's so much more intense right now.

Edited by mrewest

23 hours ago, fizio59 said:

Rosetta - Wake/Lift 2xLP repress now available:

- Acqua Blue (Opaque) /600

- Metallic Silver (Opaque) /400

http://translationlossrecords.bigcartel.com/product/rosetta-wake-lift-2xlp-reperss-pre-order

thanks for this. that's not what i should be spending $$ on right now.... but want... NEED....

shit.

Enemies Audiotree Live: FFO of melodic mathiness like label mates toe and LITE, and hailing from the Emerald Isle. TTNG, ASIWYFA, Giraffes, etc. Big regret not getting "We've Been Talking" on physical what seems like eons ago, when all their stuff on bandcamp was name your price.

Enemies: Audiotree Live

10 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

I thought it was a pretty regular ITTCT. 

also so ill check my Pelican stash and send you a PM. 

It's much more major key and uplifting than I'm used to from them.  Almost sounds Maserati-ish, which is cool.  

Also, finally got around to checking out some Envy stuff....  these guys are fucking awesome!  The singer I'm not really so hot on, but the music underneath is absolutely top notch stuff.  Been listening to Abyssal so far...  might hit up Temporary Residence and see if I can add that to my Tarentel order haha.  

https://envy.bandcamp.com/album/abyssal

• jhulud locked this topic