VC's definitive list of albums, A- Z (VOTING CLOSED)

brandy

I appreciate the Beatles for the influence they have had on bands I love, but I'm not so much into their music. Like as much as many Elephant 6 collective artists take from them, I prefer the music of much of the E6 bands.

After a shitty day dealing with businesses today, I kind of wish I had voted for The Shape of Punk to Come. I've got a bone to pick with capitalism....

I appreciate the Beatles for the influence they have had on bands I love, but I'm not so much into their music. Like as much as many Elephant 6 collective artists take from them, I prefer the music of much of the E6 bands.

Agreed. I don't much care for the Beatles but the Olivia Tremor Control rox my sox

IM THE ONLY ONE FOR SEASONS IN VERSE?

where are all the sad people at?

I came close to voting for it, but the Talking Heads have not gotten nearly enough love in this thread.

Speaking of sad, at the MHTJ reunion show my raffle ticket was one number off from winning a one of a kind "Heavenly Bodies" lathe cut.

Easily the hardest letter thus far, so many great albums. 

Honorable Mentions:

Beck - Sea Change

Against Me! - Searching For A Former Clarity

Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come

The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

NOFX - So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes

The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About

Jimmy Eat World - Static Prevails

Strung Out - Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues

Pinback - Summer In Abbadon

Propagandhi - Supporting Caste

It feel wrong to pick only one of these, but I have to go with:

Saves The Day - Stay What You Are

Cock Sparrer - Shock Troops

Yo, this album is straight up one of the most intensely emotional albums I've ever listened to. SERIOUSLY. Even the single, solitary not-so-good song (Droogs Don't Run) is still a fucking CELEBRATION and cause for laughter. Man, just everything about this album is so killer. I think my favorite description of Cock Sparrer was something along the lines of "they could have been as big as The Clash, but they probably didn't care too as they were too busy just enjoying themselves just by making rock'n'roll songs." HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THAT? IT'S SO FUCKING AWESOME. SHIT LIKE THAT IS WHAT I WANT FROM A BAND. Man, if "We're Coming Back" doesn't cause you to get butterflies in your stomach, there's something WRONG with you! And holy shit,  "Out On An Island" gives you a perfect glimpse at what it must have felt like to be involved in the Falklands War. GODDAMN, THIS ALBUM IS AMAZING.

Cock Sparrer - Shock Troops

Yo, this album is straight up one of the most intensely emotional albums I've ever listened to. SERIOUSLY. Even the single, solitary not-so-good song (Droogs Don't Run) is still a fucking CELEBRATION and cause for laughter. Man, just everything about this album is so killer. I think my favorite description of Cock Sparrer was something along the lines of "they could have been as big as The Clash, but they probably didn't care too as they were too busy just enjoying themselves just by making rock'n'roll songs." HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THAT? IT'S SO FUCKING AWESOME. SHIT LIKE THAT IS WHAT I WANT FROM A BAND. Man, if "We're Coming Back" doesn't cause you to get butterflies in your stomach, there's something WRONG with you! And holy shit,  "Out On An Island" gives you a perfect glimpse at what it must have felt like to be involved in the Falklands War. GODDAMN, THIS ALBUM IS AMAZING.

NAIL. ON. HEAD.

The Shape of Punk to Come / Refused. Hands down.

So many quality S albums, but this gets my vote. I've given it quite a bit of thought over the last 24 hours or so... and I keep coming back to Shape.

And all the love for Siamese Dream is completely justified. May have been my choice if I didn't already use my Pumpkins vote on Mellon Collie.

Results for round S:

9:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

7:

The Shape Of Punk To Come - Refused

6:

Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins

4:

Shock Troops - Cock Sparrer

3:

Sometimes - City And Colour

2:

Something To Write Home About - The Get Up Kids 

Stay What You Are - Saves The Day 

Sunbather - Deafheaven 

Sink Or Swim - The Gaslight Anthem 

Sound Awake - Karnivool 

1:

Sagarmatha - The Appleseed Cast

The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips

Sublime - Sublime

Silent Alarm - Bloc Party

Speaking In Tongues - Talking Heads

Swordfishtrombones - Tom Waits

Slip It In - Black Flag

Shrines - Purity Ring

Seasons In Verse - My Heart To Joy 

System Of A Down - System Of A Down

Songs of Love and Hate - Leonard Cohen

Share What Ya Got - Defiance, Ohio

Static Prevails - Jimmy Eat World

Sister - Sonic Youth

Spirit Of Eden - Talk Talk

South Of Heaven - Slayer

Son, I Loved You At Your Darkest - As Cities Burn

Separation Sunday - The Hold Steady

Speak Now - Taylor Swift

Significant Other - Limp Bizkit

Source Tags & Codes - ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

Scream & Light Up The Sky - The Honorary Title

Somewhere in Time - Iron Maiden 

Somewhere at the Bottom of the River Between Vega And Altair - La Dispute

Signals, Calls and Marches - Mission of Burma.

Spiderland - Slint

THIS WAS A MONSTER OF A LETTER, BUT THE WINNER FOR ROUND S IS SGT. PEPPER'S AND THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND BY THE BEATLES!!!!!