None of the many records I have bought in the past year have been scuff-free.

Hmm. First thing I do with a new record is take it out very carefully of the awful heavy cardboard sleeve and then put it into a Mofi one. The problem is, if I look carefully at every record I've purchased, I'll see lightish scuffs that don't affect play. They can only be seen in the light and/or at certain angles. Here is an example of one of the more harsh cases: 

ne6d4Ha.jpg?1

Bear in mind that is one of the more rough examples of this issue. Look at a record in bright light and see if you have any form of light scuffing that doesn't affect play... Someone put my mind at ease, please. Thanks.

I actually know exactly what you're talking about. This is the case with a lot of my records, even some older ones that were supposedly 'unplayed.' I wouldn't necessarily call them scuffs, because they're not gashes in the records that skip every time you play over them. I don't really know what causes them, but believe it or not, I wouldn't be surprised if years scraping up against a paper sleeve is the cause. It's anyone's guess. It's not a big issue for me, because they don't affect the sound.

I always figured it was residue from the pressing plant or something along those lines.  Almost all the records i buy have it.. except the real nice pressings!

they dont sound and they dont (in my experience) clean off when I run em through the ol'vpi 16.5 with a dist.h2o//iso solution.

I dont clean my records before I play for the first time but I am thinking about getting that anal about my records.

so, if these marks don't affect the sound, then what the fuck are you complaining about?

it's not like it's a $1000 hooker that wont fuck you. that would be something to complain about.

I think we can all agree that the quality control of some plants isn't up to snuff and more records are coming out with defects than ever before (i missed the oil shortage, but from what I hear).  By complaining, to the plants, distros, bands, labels etc.. we can put pressure on the industry to improve the products that we so love and cherish...

Instead of returning defective records to my shop I will always mail labels, bands, etc to at the very least enlighten them to my bad experience.  If the labels, bands, distros, etc wont replace it then I will return to my shop.

Also, in my experience some of these "scuffs" as described by Amnesiac do affect the sound, it has become increasingly apparent to me as I slowly improve my set up.

so, if these marks don't affect the sound, then what the fuck are you complaining about?

it's not like it's a $1000 hooker that wont fuck you. that would be something to complain about.

Or a Craigslist hooker who won't go down on you, but you go down on while listening to Fun House by the Stooges.

If I'm paying a premium price for this format, then it should be perfect. Kinda sucks to drop $30 on an album only to have the record marked up.

Also, resale value is impacted by this. What should be a M graded record goes to NM right off the bat.

Thanks for all the help guys! Goodbye.

Miss you!

Seriously, what did you expect? This is life. 

Even things that can be avoided like split seams are accepted by most of us. And in many ways, that's something that shouldn't happen because things can be taken out of shrink wrap / shipped with the LPs outside of the jacket.

Maybe try requesting that the LPs be shipped outside of the sleeves and outside of the jacket.

As you said it doesn't affect playback, but does affect resale value. 

I'd rather have something without seam splits, but with this light scuffing.