He has referenced a few works specifically as inspiration from the late 20's or early 30's. I know he has named Hammett on more than one occasion. It's hard to tell if some of the lines are supposed to be cheesy and the actors aren't playing them as laugh lines or what though. A couple instances in the first episode seemed liked they could have been written as jokes that didn't land.  

Who knows. They certainly seems to be going for very serious business so far this year. But yes. Early noir and pulp are admitted influences. 

No cop puts their gun back in their holster when seeing a pool of blood.  No matter if they knew how it got there or not.  That doesn't happen.

That being said, I believe the raven head might symbolize death meeting with the victim, now that we've had two instances.  Not saying a certain character is finished here, just my thought.

I believe Paul might be undercover for another agency.  Gut feeling.

The ending of this weeks episode will give Ani some insight into a path she needs to follow on the case, naturally.  

Shout out to creepy Rick Springfield.  Sat there thinking "is that him", and sure enough.  Oh, the irony of his character, to Springfield's reality

Also, no one has mentioned this yet, but I found it slightly interesting that McConaughey and Harrelson are Exec Producers.    

^^ All of this. Agreed 100%.

Esp. Rick Springfield. The whole time he had the sunglasses on I kept asking myself if that was him as well. Then BAM!, takes the glasses and it's him! And he looks like all kinds of hell.

And b/c I've become a fan...awesome to see Lera Lynn again and hearing a snippet of new music she's doing for the show.

^^ All of this. Agreed 100%.

Esp. Rick Springfield. The whole time he had the sunglasses on I kept asking myself if that was him as well. Then BAM!, takes the glasses and it's him! And he looks like all kinds of hell.

And b/c I've become a fan...awesome to see Lera Lynn again and hearing a snippet of new music she's doing for the show.

Good call on Lera Lynn.  Other than Springfield, she was the only surprise, and that's just fine.