United Nations (2014) (New LP on Temporary Residence LTD)

Since July 10th, I've been stuck on this:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on July 10, 2014 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if/when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

If it doesn't come this week (and I'm not holding my breath), I will do nothing but continue to listen to the 320 I have and pout a little.

That being said, this record Seriously rips pretty damn hard. Definitely one of my favorite releases this year after only a couple listens.

I think it's hilarious how quickly they sold only after Pitchfork awarded it a 8.1. It's been streaming for about a week now, and quantities were steadily decreasing... then overnight, the only thing remaining are 60 boxset-shirt bundles. Guess everyone had to make sure the album had a certified seal of approval. Can you imagine if they awarded it Best New Music?

Definitely agree that this release hits hard, and will probably be a strong contender for the year's top 10 aggressive albums, for me.

I think it's hilarious how quickly they sold only after Pitchfork awarded it a 8.1. It's been streaming for about a week now, and quantities were steadily decreasing... then overnight, the only thing remaining are 60 boxset-shirt bundles. Guess everyone had to make sure the album had a certified seal of approval. Can you imagine if they awarded it Best New Music?

Definitely agree that this release hits hard, and will probably be a strong contender for the year's top 10 aggressive albums, for me.

It's not surprising it didn't sell fast at first. Outside of a couple of sites, the album didn't get much exposure.

Ordered just the box fairly early and am still waiting on shipping. I'm guessing they found out about the pressing error and wanted to fix it before sending out the rest. Kinda a shame as getting the error would have been like a bonus to some degree. I may try to confirm my guess with Anna today.

ya, that's a possibility.  i emailed them (responding to the order confirmation mail i got) a couple days ago and haven't heard back.  could you please post/let me know what you hear if you get contacted back?

i got mine yesterday. included shirt.

thanks for confirming this.

i wanted to wait until i got the physical media in the mail before i listened, even with the error, so i'm kind of anxious to get it...

Considering what was offered for the $40 price tag, I really don't think that it was unreasonable or overpriced at all.

Just seemed gimmicky to me, to make it the most pain in the ass way for their fans to listen to the album, and it didnt even turn out right. Think ima head to best buy tonight and just cop the cd though. 

Nice, I think I just got my first minus 1 thingy.

Seriously though, how is spreading an album across 2 7"s, a 10" and a cassette not gimmicky? Explain that to me.

Lol if a band like glassjaw pulled some shit like that, you would burn them at the stake. I guess at least whoever ordered this thing actually got it in a reasonable time, but still.

Guest jonpasqual

I chose 1 day mail from the shipping options I haven't received anything or tracking. Anyone else having this issues? what is their contact email?

Nice, I think I just got my first minus 1 thingy.

Seriously though, how is spreading an album across 2 7"s, a 10" and a cassette not gimmicky? Explain that to me.

Lol if a band like glassjaw pulled some shit like that, you would burn them at the stake. I guess at least whoever ordered this thing actually got it in a reasonable time, but still.

It is 100% a gimmick but it's a gimmick with a purpose. It's a box set made up of all of the bands releases since "Never Mind the Bombings..." in 1 box set. From their first demo tape to their latest experimental EP they recorded in 2016. Except none of that is real. The digital version of the album is actually a terrible way to listen to it because its not technically an album. It's separate releases. Get it?

Or maybe people outside this scene hadn't heard of them and when the review came out people listened to them and found out it was good?

This is pretty much my exact point.  Everyone had a week to listen to the record and decide for themselves, courtesy of the advance stream.  (Which was also on Pitchfork, and not some obscure site.)  But quantities barely dipped despite having the entire album made available for unlimited streaming.  It wasn't until the review was posted that they vanished almost instantaneously.  If Pitchfork had given it a 4 or 5, I bet they'd still be in stock.  The end of your quote – "found out it was good" – that should be something that you establish for yourself, as a listener.  I think too many people in this day and age wait for the Pitchfork scores before they can confidently "find out" if a release is worth enjoying or not.

It's not surprising it didn't sell fast at first. Outside of a couple of sites, the album didn't get much exposure.

I feel like everywhere outside of "this scene" was being plastered with updates and news of this release anytime that a single was released.  My Facebook and Twitter feed were exploding with posts on Serious Business for the 48 hours that followed its release.  And then the second single.  And then the third single.  And the countless warnings that the number of box sets were declining.  And then when the advanced stream went up.  I'd argue that this release had a ton of exposure, actually.  On par with a big Deathwish release, and probably more than a lot of hyped Topshelf releases get.

I also thought it seemed fairly unnecessary.  If they wanted to keep true to the division of each release inside the box, they could have easily just done a set of 10"s or 7"s.  For convenience's sake, a single 12" would be great.  I'm not arguing that, especially since I - like most everyone else - listen to this thing from start to finish.  But from an artistic standpoint, this wasn't written as a solid album.  It's a release that embodies a collection of smaller releases spread across the last four years.  The box was written and recorded "in pieces", so it sort of makes sense that that's how they'd press.  No one said it was convenient or practical, but it is kind of logical.

As far as the gimmick aspect goes?  I initially agreed, but reading the Pitchfork interview with Geoff changed my perspective on it, a bit.  This band has always been about being a pain in the ass, and a bit of a prankster.  It's in their lyrics, it's in the legal headaches that surround their name, and [now] it's in the physicality of this release.

It is 100% a gimmick but it's a gimmick with a purpose. It's a box set made up of all of the bands releases since "Never Mind the Bombings..." in 1 box set. From their first demo tape to their latest experimental EP they recorded in 2016. Except none of that is real. The digital version of the album is actually a terrible way to listen to it because its not technically an album. It's separate releases. Get it?

Yes I get it. But I dont think conveniently listening to a group of songs in one sitting is a terrible way to listen to anything. By your logic, is listening to NKs basement tapes immediately followed by Nothing to be gained here in one sitting a "terrible" way to enjoy their music?

I bet some people who ordered it dont even own a cassette player, but hey thats their choice. I dont see anything wrong with purchasing the CD, I mean they did also release it in that format after all.

One is a collector's item for those who want a physical copy of "the joke". The other is a convenient way to listen to music. 

One is a collector's item for those who want a physical copy of "the joke".

Probably my biggest incentive and reasoning behind picking this up.  Boo and hiss all you want, but that's the collector in me – I'm in the crowd who don't own a cassette player in 2014, and will probably never blast that tape.  I doubt it'll sound as crisp as the [potential 12"] vinyl or the 320-MP3s I'm currently working with, and quite frankly I'm more interested in the cease-and-desist letter that it's wrapped in.  But the entire quality of this thing looks ace, and I have absolutely no issue supporting TRL with my money.  If they release a 12" down the line, I'd definitely pick that up and retire the boxset... but I can't see myself selling it or giving it away.  Easily one of the most unique releases I['ll] own, for better or worse.

One is a collector's item for those who want a physical copy of "the joke". The other is a convenient way to listen to music. 

Thats completely understandable and like I said earlier, if they release it in a 12", or even something else not involving a cassette, Ill order it in a heartbeat. I couldnt swing $40 for something I would have listened to once.

I mean it is about the music when it is all said and done, right>