Discussion Regarding Posting Guidelines/Ground Rules

i would love it if we could get some general posting guidelines and ground rules for what is and isn't acceptable when posting here, and what will get us banned/suspended.

i am 100% serious and not trying to be disrespectful in the least, but lately i've become scared to even post in threads for fear of an arbitrary ban for making an 'off topic' post. part of what i love about this place is that i can have a great time posting with people whose e-company i truly enjoy, and as of late i feel like that is being derailed with no reasoning other than 'i said so' or 'so and so with post count of 20 doesn't like that cat gif you posted in their blink thread'.

a lot of the thread locking and anguish could be mitigated by a sticky with some community rules for posting.

Just throwing my two cents in, I feel if we are going to get threatened with suspension/banning over posting gifs or ribbing someone who says and asks the exact same thing over and over and over again, that there are a few things that should be dealt with and prioritized WAY higher. I think the following should be taken into consideration.

Automatic banning without hesitation

-Any homophobic or racist slur.

-Personal attacks on someone's family (ex. http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/95358-blink-182-splatter-vinyl-series-hot-topic-exclusive-update-posted-514/page-215#entry1922290)

How about this too:

If you are a newer member of the board don't post nothing but gifs over and over in threads. If you aren't a known member here then you will be seen as a troll. There are a couple of folks currently trying to win points with the cool kids by doing this and it's downright annoying. Jokes are always welcome. Annoying the piss out of everyone repeatedly is not. 

Also: Don't be stupid. 

Instaban: Making any post crying about a corner ding. 

Points: Posting in the running thread. (We need more members) 

Seriously, is this an issue with posting gifs or is this an issue of a couple of people posting so many freaking gifs that the only person laughing is them? Or doing it because they think they are impressing a few other people around here? I have a crazy high tolerance for how much we joke and get a rise out of folks but there has been some major line crossing in that department of late. 

Also: If you take information from this board then use that information to attack someone in real life when it isn't at all justified, well, that shit is a total banning in my book. 

Let's do this. This thread is needed.

Post, seriously, what some guidelines and rules should be. Some have been posted so far and they're good. I will get it all together to get one major one to post and be official. May as well come together as a community on this matter.

people posting so many freaking gifs that the only person laughing is them? Or doing it because they think they are impressing a few other people around here? I have a crazy high tolerance for how much we joke and get a rise out of folks but there has been some major line crossing in that department of late. 

This is my issue. I get that people think the Blink-182 thread is dumb, or the Cartel thread was pointless, but what excuse do people have for making it worse? There are plenty of threads for people to post GIFs and laugh among themselves, so let's keep it there.

Too many threads have been derailed lately - and I've talked to several members who have visited a lot less lately because of it. I know I have too because when I see a thread bumped repeatedly I just assume it's the same five people posting a 'funny' image over and over again.

Let's do this. This thread is needed.

Post, seriously, what some guidelines and rules should be. Some have been posted so far and they're good. I will get it all together to get one major one to post and be official. May as well come together as a community on this matter.

Thanks for unlocking this Juan. Let's do this honestly yet politely. 

This is my issue. I get that people think the Blink-182 thread is dumb, or the Cartel thread was pointless, but what excuse do people have for making it worse? There are plenty of threads for people to post GIFs and laugh among themselves, so let's keep it there.

Too many threads have been derailed lately - and I've talked to several members who have visited a lot less lately because of it. I know I have too because when I see a thread bumped repeatedly I just assume it's the same five people posting a 'funny' image over and over again.

posting in those threads is fun. are you actually interested in those threads that you see being bumped repeatedly, assuming that it's the same gif being posted? if you don't like it; don't look at it. i rarely if ever post gifs by themselves; almost always as a response to something that was posted.

if a thread gets derailed in the name of good clean fun; who cares? it's the internet. these things happen. that's what makes this forum fun and makes this community an actual community. the people who post here; not the informative factual posts about rekkids. is that an important part? sure. but if we aren't allowed to have fun, then i can just get my vinyl news from any other old website.

certain things should not be tolerated, and mean spirited ribbing needs to be curbed. so does trolling that includes posting a gazillion times in a row with random words or the same thing.

1. If you make a new thread for a release, try your best to keep the OP updated with pertinent information.

2. Before you post in a thread to ask a question that has probably been answered, check the OP.

THIS.  It would be cool if more people could be mods in that thread so anyone trusted can update the OP to help make this happen.

1. If you make a new thread for a release, try your best to keep the OP updated with pertinent information.

2. Before you post in a thread to ask a question that has probably been answered, check the OP.

I think this would solve most issues.

And if people keep asking the same things, or things that are answered in the OP, tell them to go back and read. I did this recently and someone had a snotty reply that it would be just as easy to answer that person. I'm all for helping people out when I can, but I shouldn't have to cater to other people who won't even try to help themselves. Make the effort, and if you still can't find the answer, then ask.

See, I feel a few of the recent examples weren't good clean fun. They were people derailing threads then bragging about it with their little click to win some weird internet scene point. I love, love, love cat gifs. I love cat gifs in all threads. What's happened of late was totally weird to me however and not done with the intention to lighten the mood of a crazy thread. 

.gif threads are where people go to post just .gifs. If someone wants to respond to another post with a single .gif instead of saying something that could come off more harsh, I don't see the problem with that. Posting just pointless .gifs over and over again is annoying for sure, but I don't think people should be punished if they aren't spamming .gifs just to spam .gifs.

.gif.

the search here blows.  but using google to find what you want followed by "vinyl collective" is usually pretty helpful

That is very true, but to use the blink thread as an example, it was so easy to search "dude ranch" "EOTS" etc. and it did work, and showed me every post with those words in it. People just don't make the effort.