WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

• 2 weeks later...
New pressing of Sway has finally arrived! 180 gram black vinyl, Stoughton tip-on gatefold jacket & new lacquers/stampers for the creation of said vinyl. Grab a copy here: http://www.graveface.com/graveface-catalog.html

Shipping April 15th. Also we have like 5 colored vinyl copies from the first pressing still so if you'd rather have that just leave a note at the end of your transaction. 

xoxo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

push.. I assume that people received their new press (180g) copies. Can anyone make a short statement about the pressing quality and sound of the whole thing? Also, can one distinguish the new pressing from older pressing just from the look of it?

Yeah so the Black does sound very good, very thick pressing, similar to the Pink version if you've gotten your hands on it, sound quality I belive is pretty clean, better than the previous and also the cover is a bit different as far as size (its a little bigger), but it's very similar to the last pressing just a bit thicker/sturdier.

My 180G sounded great on Side A. Side B is plagued with non-fill though, to the point where I took it off the table before the side was done. I've had 4 copies of this record now and none play cleanly. I'm a RC member and I really appreciate that Graveface has gone out of their way to try and get me a good copy, but I'm done with this one. When I want to hear it I'll just stream it off Spotify.

push.. I assume that people received their new press (180g) copies. Can anyone make a short statement about the pressing quality and sound of the whole thing? Also, can one distinguish the new pressing from older pressing just from the look of it?

The 5 copies I've listened to extensively sound vastly different to me.  I can hear subtle nuances that I couldn't hear in the first pressing etc.  The last pressing was really depressing.  Actually, about 65% of the last/first pressing was fine overall, and then something happened over at A+R.  It was so bad that I'll never use them again actually.  There's an etching on this new one so people can visually tell the difference if for some reason they were confused. 

My 180G sounded great on Side A. Side B is plagued with non-fill though, to the point where I took it off the table before the side was done. I've had 4 copies of this record now and none play cleanly. I'm a RC member and I really appreciate that Graveface has gone out of their way to try and get me a good copy, but I'm done with this one. When I want to hear it I'll just stream it off Spotify.

Well that's not good to hear.  I've only had one complaint so far on this new pressing and it was someone pissed that they vinyl was so heavy that it ripped through the black inner during shipping.  It's remarkable out of 4 copies you haven't had a listenable one.  My apologies. 

Well that's not good to hear.  I've only had one complaint so far on this new pressing and it was someone pissed that they vinyl was so heavy that it ripped through the black inner during shipping.  It's remarkable out of 4 copies you haven't had a listenable one.  My apologies. 

Its a generic sleeve nonetheless. People are insane these days with records

I have had my fair share of nut jobs in dealing with discogs

Its a generic sleeve nonetheless. People are insane these days with records

I have had my fair share of nut jobs in dealing with discogs

Yeah I quit complaining to local labels like 3 years ago with inner sleeves ripping. But at anyrate,  you would think record pressing plants would indeed make the sleeve not over the top snug when 180g records are called to order. It's like sheesh, I want to pull the record out and actually play it!

Regarding Whirl Sway. My teal copy was a gem, no skippity sounds all through out. This ain't a humble brag, just pointing out there was some pretty good copies made, poor A+R lost biz I guess

No need for apologies, shit happens. Like I said, you have gone so far beyond what I would have reasonably expected it's amazing. I'm still super happy to be a RC member and proud to support what you are doing. Keep it up!

thanks for all the responses!

one question remains though: is there anything like a sticker on the shrinkwrap or so to tell it apart from the earlier pressings? Let's assume I'm holding a copy of this in my hands at my local record store, how can I tell apart the new from the old pressing? thanks again!

thanks for all the responses!

one question remains though: is there anything like a sticker on the shrinkwrap or so to tell it apart from the earlier pressings? Let's assume I'm holding a copy of this in my hands at my local record store, how can I tell apart the new from the old pressing? thanks again!

Oh!  Gotcha.  The new pressing is in a super heavy Stoughton gatefold tip on.  The old, a boring lightweight normal gatefold sleeve. 

Unseal it and take a look, Martin. :)

haha, danke! :D Not every store likes that, though!

Oh!  Gotcha.  The new pressing is in a super heavy Stoughton gatefold tip on.  The old, a boring lightweight normal gatefold sleeve. 

Awesome, thanks! I enjoy the haptics of heavy gatefolds with heavy vinyl inside  :D