WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

excuse me, but may i ask what bands/acts/management whirr and especially this nick fellow are connected with

Nick Bassett IS the lead guitarist of Whirr (obviously), He IS the bassist of Nothing (though Nicky seems to not want anything to do with Whirr anymore according to his Twitter), he IS the only guitarist in Camera Shy, and IS(?) the guitarist/bassist of Death of Lovers

I highly doubt any of these projects are going to keep going forward with him after tonight

^ this is all fucked but the band will reach more people at least. I'll definitely be looking for more stuff by them in the future.

exactly what i've been thinking.  whirr makes fun of g.l.o.s.s, g.l.o.s.s. gets attention, g.l.o.s.s. gains fans, whirr loses fans, whirr loses label, justice prevails, fuck whirr.

I honestly love Nothing so much and I'm not afraid to say it, and I trust Nicky will do the right thing and kick bassett out of the band from here on out, though I'm scared to want to support their new album since nick did bass for it.

I can live without listening to Whirr, but Nothing is too damn good. Hopefully Nicky does the right thing, but who knows. We shall see.

It's funny how RFC Records is saying "we don't support this behavior in any way" but not only were they aware that Whirr was doing this over a year ago, they just plain out didn't give a shit.

http://runforcoverrecords.tumblr.com/post/79988084964/what-do-you-think-of-the-whole-nothingwhirr

This is an interesting turn of events, is this the first time a band has been dropped over twitter comments? Their actions last night were very disappointing to me. I own almost 100% discography from this band, I once traveled over 3 hours round trip to see them perform.I've invested dozens maybe even hundreds of listening hours to their music and Nick's other side projects. But I would have a hard time supporting this band in the future without some kind of public apology, I seriously hope the dude gets a change of heart and learns something from this experience. He is a talented musician and it would be a shame to waste it on pride and a tough asshole internet persona. The internet really has changed the way we interact with the music scene and listen to music. Transparency has altered everything, last night was truly disgusting but there has been so many examples of poor behavior by musicians through the years, there just wasn't always the internet to generate a platform of discussion. I mean Eric Clapton publically declared that England should deport all the blacks on stage at a concert, 3 out of 4 Beatles (not Ringo) beat their wives, Miles Davis was another woman abuser and you never hear "I really love Kind Of Blue, but I just can't listen to it without seperating how he treated women". Some other food for thought, the lead singer of Nothing stabbed a guy to death and it's more concerning to some of you that the bassist made a transphobic tweet (both actions are gross, but im on the side of ending another human's life is worse than degrading another human). I'm not trying to support the actions of nick or this band, and as someone with several trans friends I am seriously bummed by their actions. I wouldn't condemn anyone for not wishing to continue supporting this band, but I really don't understand if you connected with their music why you couldn't separate artist from art at least eventually. I own music from all 3 examples of shitty humans who make good music, doesn't make me a womanizer or a racist just like listening to Whirr doesn't make me transphobic but I'm not rushing to line their pockets from this point forward.

It's funny how RFC Records is saying "we don't support this behavior in any way" but not only were they aware that Whirr was doing this over a year ago, they just plain out didn't give a shit.

http://runforcoverrecords.tumblr.com/post/79988084964/what-do-you-think-of-the-whole-nothingwhirr

Whirr has never done anything like this though, so I don't see any reason to call out RFC, RFC responded as best they could to Whirr being transphobic. 

This is an interesting turn of events, is this the first time a band has been dropped over twitter comments? Their actions last night were very disappointing to me. I own almost 100% discography from this band, I once traveled over 3 hours round trip to see them perform.I've invested dozens maybe even hundreds of listening hours to their music and Nick's other side projects. But I would have a hard time supporting this band in the future without some kind of public apology, I seriously hope the dude gets a change of heart and learns something from this experience. He is a talented musician and it would be a shame to waste it on pride and a tough asshole internet persona. The internet really has changed the way we interact with the music scene and listen to music. Transparency has altered everything, last night was truly disgusting but there has been so many examples of poor behavior by musicians through the years, there just wasn't always the internet to generate a platform of discussion. I mean Eric Clapton publically declared that England should deport all the blacks on stage at a concert, 3 out of 4 Beatles (not Ringo) beat their wives, Miles Davis was another woman abuser and you never hear "I really love Kind Of Blue, but I just can't listen to it without seperating how he treated women". Some other food for thought, the lead singer of Nothing stabbed a guy to death and it's more concerning to some of you that the bassist made a transphobic tweet (both actions are gross, but im on the side of ending another human's life is worse than degrading another human). I'm not trying to support the actions of nick or this band, and as someone with several trans friends I am seriously bummed by their actions. I wouldn't condemn anyone for not wishing to continue supporting this band, but I really don't understand if you connected with their music why you couldn't separate artist from art at least eventually. I own music from all 3 examples of shitty humans who make good music, doesn't make me a womanizer or a racist just like listening to Whirr doesn't make me transphobic but I'm not rushing to line their pockets from this point forward.

The person Nick stabbed was not killed. Stop spreading rumors about stories from 2002 you know nothing about. 

off topic slightly but I have a friend who writes a comic about a transgender superhero named Trans Cat, she has been going through an exceptionally rough patch lately, and I think what she does is awesome, there isn't really too many in the comic world approaching this subject and I think it's beautiful that she puts something into this world that people who are otherwise marginalized by society can relate to. I thought some of you may be interested to at least glance, and if you really like it you can even order physical copies of all 5 issues.

http://parasomniacomics.blogspot.com/p/the-parasomnia-shop.html

I know this is pretty unrelated, but after such a negative event I thought I would try to add a positive and use this discussion as a launching point for support of someone in the transgender community

I'm not quite sure what anyone saw in the band Whirr. They were one of the least creative shoezage acts going in my opinion. Anyone can listen to My Bloody Valentine once and be inspired to make a band that sounds like them. Doesn't mean you should. I get that they draw influence from doom metal and hardcore and thats why you see all the hardcore bros at their shows but there is seriously NOTHING special going on there. They will totally be overlooked as just another band in this shoegaze revival. 

On top of that these guys are all total shit and they actually think they are the best band going today. I have never purchased their music on any format and have never seen them live and i never will. I 100% support Run For Cover Records. I don't hold them accountable for the actions of the artists they sign. If anything, RFC dropping Whirr should prove to all of you that they think the same about those guys as we all do. Now that they are dropped hopefully everyone will move on and find more interesting/creative music to listen to. 

Thank you for your excellent post about everyone's taste in music. I like some other bands too, should I run them past you first before I continue listening to them? 

The Pitchfork thing is nothing compared to what happened last night

It was the exact same shit, only that time the people being abused were just random people on facebook and not a band that many people would come out in support of. You're essentially saying that misogyny and homophobia are fine but transmisogyny is crossing a line. It's all the same gross, disgusting shit.