WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

This is an interesting turn of events, is this the first time a band has been dropped over twitter comments? Their actions last night were very disappointing to me. I own almost 100% discography from this band, I once traveled over 3 hours round trip to see them perform.I've invested dozens maybe even hundreds of listening hours to their music and Nick's other side projects. But I would have a hard time supporting this band in the future without some kind of public apology, I seriously hope the dude gets a change of heart and learns something from this experience. He is a talented musician and it would be a shame to waste it on pride and a tough asshole internet persona. The internet really has changed the way we interact with the music scene and listen to music. Transparency has altered everything, last night was truly disgusting but there has been so many examples of poor behavior by musicians through the years, there just wasn't always the internet to generate a platform of discussion. I mean Eric Clapton publically declared that England should deport all the blacks on stage at a concert, 3 out of 4 Beatles (not Ringo) beat their wives, Miles Davis was another woman abuser and you never hear "I really love Kind Of Blue, but I just can't listen to it without seperating how he treated women". Some other food for thought, the lead singer of Nothing stabbed a guy to death and it's more concerning to some of you that the bassist made a transphobic tweet (both actions are gross, but im on the side of ending another human's life is worse than degrading another human). I'm not trying to support the actions of nick or this band, and as someone with several trans friends I am seriously bummed by their actions. I wouldn't condemn anyone for not wishing to continue supporting this band, but I really don't understand if you connected with their music why you couldn't separate artist from art at least eventually. I own music from all 3 examples of shitty humans who make good music, doesn't make me a womanizer or a racist just like listening to Whirr doesn't make me transphobic but I'm not rushing to line their pockets from this point forward.

Of course murder is worse than transphobia. But the reason why the vocalist of Nothing's attempted murder/murder does not draw as much flak/attention is that murder is already deeply embedded in our consciousness as being bad. There's already a heavy legal penalty to pay for it.

Transphobia on the other hand, is one of those things such as racism or sexism that the public's views have radically altered in recent times because equality is very much a thing in vogue right now. And there are no laws yet in place to persecute transphobic people. So of course this shit's going to draw so much attention to it.

Just some thoughts..  B)

Wait why was every one tweeting rfc on this though? Whirr is on graveface right? They just released the split on Rfc? I mean good for RFC but they did know.

Probably because RFC is bigger than Graveface. They've got another split 7" with Anne and also the Part Time Punks EP through RFC too.

It was the exact same shit, only that time the people being abused were just random people on facebook and not a band that many people would come out in support of. You're essentially saying that misogyny and homophobia are fine but transmisogyny is crossing a line. It's all the same gross, disgusting shit.

When they were doing it to random people, there was still a slight chance they were doing it as a joke or just to seek attention, and there was no focus on one person in particular. 

This time though, they're just full-on bashing G.L.O.S.S. so..

Of course murder is worse than transphobia. But the reason why the vocalist of Nothing's attempted murder/murder does not draw as much flak/attention is that murder is already deeply embedded in our consciousness as being bad. There's already a heavy legal penalty to pay for it.

Transphobia on the other hand, is one of those things such as racism or sexism that the public's views have radically altered in recent times because equality is very much a thing in vogue right now. And there are no laws yet in place to persecute transphobic people. So of course this shit's going to draw so much attention to it.

Just some thoughts..  B)

There's also the difference that the dude from Nothing seems to actually feel some remorse over what happened, and it was in the midst of a fight that he stabbed the guy (which, unless he had planned to ahead of time isn't murder or attempted murder - heads more toward manslaughter, so the jury may have gotten that one wrong).

Yeah, this guy from Whirr is a real shithead. I've always thought that. Yeah, he did something that isn't ok.

I won't support them by going to their shows, and I won't buy their records first hand, so no money I pay goes to supporting them, but I still enjoy the music enough that I'm not going to stop listening to them altogether.

There's also the difference that the dude from Nothing seems to actually feel some remorse over what happened, and it was in the midst of a fight that he stabbed the guy (which, unless he had planned to ahead of time isn't murder or attempted murder - heads more toward manslaughter, so the jury may have gotten that one wrong).

Yeah, this guy from Whirr is a real shithead. I've always thought that. Yeah, he did something that isn't ok.

I won't support them by going to their shows, and I won't buy their records first hand, so no money I pay goes to supporting them, but I still enjoy the music enough that I'm not going to stop listening to them altogether.

I didn't ever bother about their behaviour on twitter or FB beforehand. But I do bother watching RFC's Tuesdays With Tay. And when I saw this episode, that's when I realized: so it's true, they're assholes. Lol this is by far the most 'disliked' video on RFC's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgfw45EqkPw

Great response John, and I agree 100%. Every video I've seen with Nick, he just just seems like a huge douche.

whirr sucked/sucks. transphobia, misogyny, racism & homophobia suck, they are and have always been completely unacceptable and products of ignorance.  i made a bowl out of the nothing/whirr split i was gifted, i needed an ashtray for my new apartment anyway. feels good to put trash inside of trash.

forgive my ignorance, but these are my questions:

why do people blast others' sexuality (a private, personal decision)?

why do people care what others say or think about their sexuality?

people say shitty things to/about eachother all the time--why is this such a big deal?

Because some people have different values and ideals. Some people just think the world ought to be a certain way. In Nick's case, males should be males. Females should be females, and be happy with their ascribed gender.

It's a big deal because it has great social repercussions. People like Nick (I presume it's him) believe the world ought to be a certain way but most people think the other, which is that we should accept everyone for who they are or who they want to be. It will continue to be a big deal until there is a definite laydown on what things should be. (When laws are set in place)

Just some thoughts..  B)

Good point, I'm not trying to minimize the actions, I just find the human psyche fascinating. That we have grown to a society where we are more willing to distance ourselves from prejudice than violence. But of course it's not a black and white situation, and repercussions have already been handled and dealt with in the Nothing situation, and 24 hours hasn't even passed in the Whirr situation. Time will tell if and how they attempt to make up for their actions. 

I didn't ever bother about their behaviour on twitter or FB beforehand. But I do bother watching RFC's Tuesdays With Tay. And when I saw this episode, that's when I realized: so it's true, they're assholes. Lol this is by far the most 'disliked' video on RFC's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgfw45EqkPw

Those guys seem like complete idiots.

Taking Whirr's statement with a grain of salt...I wonder if the friend they're referring to is Nicholas S. He's the only person I've seen manning a lot of their social media and even IG account posting updates and dumb shit and a few questionable things himself. Given the somewhat anonimity of the main Whirr account(s) I wouldn't put it past him if it had been him really and the "friend" the band says.

Again...grain of salt...don't believe everything you read.

Taking Whirr's statement with a grain of salt...I wonder if the friend they're referring to is Nicholas S. He's the only person I've seen manning a lot of their social media and even IG account posting updates and dumb shit and a few questionable things himself. Given the somewhat anonimity of the main Whirr account(s) I wouldn't put it past him if it had been him really and the "friend" the band says.

Again...grain of salt...don't believe everything you read.

so there's like five nicks, which nick is which