WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

Good point, I'm not trying to minimize the actions, I just find the human psyche fascinating. That we have grown to a society where we are more willing to distance ourselves from prejudice than violence. But of course it's not a black and white situation, and repercussions have already been handled and dealt with in the Nothing situation, and 24 hours hasn't even passed in the Whirr situation. Time will tell if and how they attempt to make up for their actions. 

I get what you feel and yes I find it fascinating too!

To me it seems like that distancing from prejudice rather than violence stems from our laws. I feel that most of the time a country's laws reflects the values that particular societies hold because it basically says what's right and wrong. It's just that, all these movements for equality being so recent, laws haven't been put into place yet for them and so there is a lot of battling going on to stake what is right and wrong.

If you listen to mediocre bands like Whirr then you probably should

Is this joker for real?

I'm a big fan of Distressor, but I think there's been a steady decline from it. Sway appealed to me quite a bit right out of the gates, but I don't think it's held up as well as their prior material, for me. And their newest tracks on that split with Nothing were simply yawn inducing. I wouldn't say that they're aping MBV (lol). Distorted guitars do not instantly equate to shoegaze or My Bloody Valentine, but whatever.

Also gotta' love the classic case of "yeah, our friend was on Twitter last night and we don't support anything he posted". Okay.

so....i can't listen to Whirr or Nothing anymore cause they share the same band member so that means they hate the transgenders, and i can't eat my chick-fil-a cause they hate the gays...life is rough...

I know hyperbole and sarcasm are really cool, but at this point I refuse to pay money for anything Whirr related, but will probably illegally download future material out of pure curiosity. No one is insisting that we burn the records we already own.

To play devil's advocate here for a minute... Yeah, what they said is shitty, but isn't everyone entitled to their own opinion and able to say whatever they want?

What about all these people saying they want the guys in Whirr to die or be horribly injured? Are they not also in the wrong? If they're entitled to that opinion, why aren't Whirr entitled to theirs?

Again, just playing devil's advocate. I still think what they did was shitty and won't support them, but they had every right to say it.

To play devil's advocate here for a minute... Yeah, what they said is shitty, but isn't everyone entitled to their own opinion and able to say whatever they want?

What about all these people saying they want the guys in Whirr to die or be horribly injured? Are they not also in the wrong? If they're entitled to that opinion, why aren't Whirr entitled to theirs?

Again, just playing devil's advocate. I still think what they did was shitty and won't support them, but they had every right to say it.

Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinions and statements. They are also entitled to the consequences of them. This is akin to, say, badmouthing your employer on social media. You can say it, but you probably won't have a job after. 

Never heard of this band, anyway. 

that's the shitty side effects of free speech, it doesn't entitle you to only hear things you want. You can do anything, there is just always consequences. It's a free society, they can choose to say what they want, and we are consumers can choose not to support them in the future based on those things they say. I don't think anyone is suggesting limiting free speech, I just hope someone educates this guy(s) since most prejudice stems from a lack of understanding. Hopefully he(they) can learn to be more accepting in the future. This is definitely going to be a lesson learned, this will cost them many opportunities.