What's your White Whale record?

Call me crazy but I don't consider a record a white whale if you can actually locate it on a daily basis.  

To me a white whale should be a record that you simply cannot locate (or have to spend a significant amount of time locating), even when you have the funds available to purchase it. 

This should be the definition at the top of every page in this thread.

Don't know if I ever posted mine, but it is a 1st pressing test press of Rancid - Self Titled 7". I have the mid 90s repress test on black vinyl that I got for I believe around $150-$200, but the 1st pressing test is on blue vinyl and limited to 5 copies. 2 have surfaced on eBay. Someone was selling a copy that used to be Matt's about 5 years ago and it went for over $500 and that was just too much money. The other copy was one that someone bought off of Brett and they sold it for around $400 on eBay about 2 years later (still too much. I would probably spend $250-$300 tops). The 3 remaining copies, at least I assume, are with Tim, Larry Livermore, and Chris Applegren if they didn't sell their's off.

Don't know if I ever posted mine, but it is a 1st pressing test press of Rancid - Self Titled 7". I have the mid 90s repress test on black vinyl that I got for I believe around $150-$200, but the 1st pressing test is on blue vinyl and limited to 5 copies. 2 have surfaced on eBay. Someone was selling a copy that used to be Matt's about 5 years ago and it went for over $500 and that was just too much money. The other copy was one that someone bought off of Brett and they sold it for around $400 on eBay about 2 years later (still too much. I would probably spend $250-$300 tops). The 3 remaining copies, at least I assume, are with Tim, Larry Livermore, and Chris Applegren if they didn't sell their's off.

That definitely qualifies as a white whale!

Well, my white whale record was the blink-182 self titled but thanks to hot topic repressing it I don't have to search anymore. I guess my new white whale would be Enema of the State or Dude Ranch.

Those are regularly sold. Being expensive doesn't make it a white whale, being unavailable (even on the aftermarket) does.

Call me crazy but I don't consider a record a white whale if you can actually locate it on a daily basis.

To me a white whale should be a record that you simply cannot locate (or have to spend a significant amount of time locating), even when you have the funds available to purchase it.

Does eBay at a ridiculously inflated price count as regularly available?

This should be the definition at the top of every page in this thread.

Fuckin' A. If it's out there and just too expensive, I call those "gold whales." Being regularly available invalidates the metaphor it's named after. I'm sure we'll have to re-explain this in less than 2 pages.

I had cash in hand to buy Big Choice by Face to Face for several years before one popped up for sale...needless to say I pounced on it when it did.  During the couple of years that I waited for a copy to pop up I e-mailed 100's of record stores every week and contacted both current and former band members looking for it.  Hell I even searched out the people involved with recording the album to see if they had a copy they wanted to sell.  

If my house was on fire I'd grab the wife and kids along with Big Choice and head out the door.    

Fuckin' A. If it's out there and just too expensive, I call those "gold whales." Being regularly available invalidates the metaphor it's named after. I'm sure we'll have to re-explain this in less than 2 pages.

To be fair, the OP says something along the lines of it being a white whale due to price, or whatever.

but if we want to go there, mine is definitely a "gold whale." Easily found, but I will never, ever, be able to spend $400 on a 2XLP.  Therefore, it is unobtainable to me.

My girlfriend somehow got me one of mine for Christmas and I still can't believe it/that it even exists.

Slow Warm Death - Slow Warm Death test press

Only two copies were ever made and one is used for represses and I now own John Galm's personal copy and I'm freaking out!