Shill bidding - need your input VC

slinch

FYI, you got a record for $102.50 that was in my store for $250, and last sold online for $203.

This seems like all the more reason why they might not be willing to let it go on the cheap.

Clearly, this person has never heard of a reserve auction.

I know it's hard to prove, but I wouldn't like the way this looks either.

That being said, I'm not sure what sort of response one could have expected. How can they prove it's not shill-bidding other than to say so?

A somewhat more professional response maybe.

No man, I'm not disagreeing. The response was completely unprofessional and totally "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

My point was only that from the seller's standpoint, how do you go about responding to the question (allegation) in a way that addresses it?

Other than saying "no I didn't" what can you do? 

If I was accused of shill bidding and was presented with the details of why you think I had done so, I would first look into the accusation, then explain WHY the accusations are false. I don't think I would go so aggressive in return considering your email was very civil... and of course since it appears they are lurking around here in the shadows and can see that you were also pretty rational in your concern on here (much more than some of us, including me who is rooting for ROBO-CALLS to the store IN SUPPORT OF PALIN 2016 ).

Personally I think they come off as suspicious in the whole deal.   But at this point, you might as well just forget about it and watch out for the next copy to come along.

I think the fact that he was trying to get out of your alley with the quickness and taking it upon himself to cancel the transaction and not wanting to explain anything is shady.

How does he know you posted this on a public forum? Red Flag

Also why would he cancel you? If he has nothing to hide, he'd let the ebay investigation go through AND take the money you paid him in exchange for the record he owed you. 

How'd they know you were discussing this on a public forum?

That strong defensiveness of their response is almost a clear admission of guilt haha.

I'm sayin'. Shoot me the email and username you sent the payment to and I'll do some digging. We don't need that kind of riff-raff 'round these parts trying to pull fast ones on our board members.

Can't ebay look into the suspected shill account and see if they actually paid for those items that they won? Ebay owns Paypal and they should be able to look it up. I would suspect that shill bidders wouldn't go through the hassle to pay themselves/buddies, so there would be that evidence.

I don't really have anything useful to add, but this thread reminds me of a shill bidding scam that my roomate was victim of as a SELLER.

it worked like this:

1)   Roomate lists Macbook pro on Ebay with a low opening bid

2)   Pair of buyers bid the auction up to prohibitively high levels

3)   Just as the auction was ending, one of the buyers cancels his bids (I didn't even know you could do that)

4)   Sale price unravels back to the initial low bid

My friend just took the hit and refunded the money.  It is rough out there.  There are some real scum bags out there who will sink pretty low to seperate you from your money.

I think you did the right thing by confronting him about it.  If he has any sort of status with Ebay, they likely will not do anything about it but at least you'll feel a little better.

Phone calls are so much weaker than pitchforks and torches.

Once I bid obsessively for two weeks on one stores dead stock. Probably looked like a shill account. Dude might be shady but 20 bucks says he has a google alert for his store that sent him here - I do it for my company and all our projects. I am not seeing enough here to make this guy out to be a criminal.

Phone calls are so much weaker than pitchforks and torches.

Once I bid obsessively for two weeks on one stores dead stock. Probably looked like a shill account. Dude might be shady but 20 bucks says he has a google alert for his store that sent him here - I do it for my company and all our projects. I am not seeing enough here to make this guy out to be a criminal.

Just my observation, not calling for this sellers head or anything (so if you see this seller, stay calm and keep on keepin on"

As a seller, I'm desperate to let items go. If someone accused me of shillin' I'd let them know how it could possibly look like shillin' but that I absolutely have nothing to do with that account. Once something is taken to a personal level of, "I'm just going to write you off as a customer now" it's no longer about business but instead it's an emotional problem. All parties lose in the latter, but if he was legit, the first transaction should have followed through. Buyer said he was willing to pay the original 100$ bid it's not like he was forcefully trying to get the thing cancelled, else wise he could've just asked for a cancellation. Instead he noted the seller with his findings, and the seller was eager to leave him alone in a heart beat

Just my observation, not calling for this sellers head or anything (so if you see this seller, stay calm and keep on keepin on"

As a seller, I'm desperate to let items go. If someone accused me of shillin' I'd let them know how it could possibly look like shillin' but that I absolutely have nothing to do with that account. Once something is taken to a personal level of, "I'm just going to write you off as a customer now" it's no longer about business but instead it's an emotional problem. All parties lose in the latter, but if he was legit, the first transaction should have followed through. Buyer said he was willing to pay the original 100$ bid it's not like he was forcefully trying to get the thing cancelled, else wise he could've just asked for a cancellation. Instead he noted the seller with his findings, and the seller was eager to leave him alone in a heart beat

TL;DR

That strong defensiveness of their response is almost a clear admission of guilt haha.

Generally, are there decent deals to be had on eBay compared to say Discogs? I hardly ever buy records on eBay anymore, due to things like this, overgrading, shipping etc.

Older, let's say pre-'90s, records on eBay are probably priced even better than most Discogs stuffs.

Problem is that with Discogs you're just one click away from knowing if any given seller has more records you're interested in, while doing the same thing on the 'bay this will take a good chunk of time depending on the size of the seller's stock.

The straight-forwardness of the Discogs database (for both buying and selling) just can not be beat.

Maybe it's just me but I don't feel like searching the same titles over and over everyday while the Discogs wantlist does this for me in just a matter of seconds.

• 6 months later...

Generally, are there decent deals to be had on eBay compared to say Discogs? I hardly ever buy records on eBay anymore, due to things like this, overgrading, shipping etc.

yeah, I've scored a few records on ebay for much less than the going price on discogs because the title/description was vague or the seller expected more people to bid on the item. It really is worth checking out regularly for your wants, just be wary as overgrading is a serious issue and there's a chance the record you're buying will be crosleyd (just make sure the seller has a history of selling records).

also keep in mind some sellers selling off their personal collections don't even know what discogs is, and so they list stuff a lot cheaper than usual. it's worth checking regularly in my opinion.

yeah, I've scored a few records on ebay for much less than the going price on discogs because the title/description was vague or the seller expected more people to bid on the item. It really is worth checking out regularly for your wants, just be wary as overgrading is a serious issue and there's a chance the record you're buying will be crosleyd (just make sure the seller has a history of selling records).

also keep in mind some sellers selling off their personal collections don't even know what discogs is, and so they list stuff a lot cheaper than usual. it's worth checking regularly in my opinion.

Holy thread resurrection, Moose Man!

;)

I scored a pretty decent deal on an Elektra Master of Puppets the other day though. I always check eBay somewhat regularly for a few things I'm on the prowl for.